Teensy 3.1 shows as unknown device after use with windows 8?

steezybeezy

I had a teensy 3.1 that suffered the code 43 issue. I was using it as an HID game controller.

From what I've seen from searching, I went ahead and tried these steps:

-Restarting and unplugging the power/removing the battery from my laptop for a few minutes before plugging in the teensy.
-Reinstalling the serial drivers
-Tried to install the hid game controller driver for the teensy, but I don't have that option? (doesn't show on device manager)
-Tried on friend's computer with windows 7 - unrecognized.
-Tried on friend's mac - also unrecognized.

So then I assumed it was dead, and bought another FRESH teensy. Plugged it into my laptop, and the SAME thing happened the moment I plugged it in! I'm certain the teensy itself is fine, the blink program still runs and the led is blinking. But now THAT teensy is also "malfunctioning" on mine and other computers, including ones running 64 bit vista, 64 bit windows 7, and mac.

When I look up the hardware Id, I get UNKNOWN. Each teensy shows up as an unknown device on vista, and gives a "device descriptor has failed" or something error. This is extremely irritating. Would installing the correct device driver solve anything? Do I need to reflash the firmware?

No ideas anyone? I haven't found any solutions to similar problems that have worked for me. If these teensy's are trashed that's 40 bucks down the drain.

Not a silly question haha, haven't tried other cables but I have reason to believe now that its the cable since the cable wouldn't connect my S3 either.

Well now I feel silly. It was the cable after all (which is really strange, since that cable worked well for me for over a month). Thank you all!

Worth necroposting here to say that embarrassingly, I just discovered that you get a very similiar failure mode if you solder D+ and D- round the wrong way........

:)

Just unknown device in device manager, no ability to locate or install a driver. Board still runs because the GND and 5v were correct.

Back