Trouble connecting Bluetooth to Teensy 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul S

Hello,
I am trying to connect a Teensy 3.1 to a Bluetooth Mate Silver (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12576). I am able to get it in config mode but the connect (green) led did not light up. I also was not able to get any messages in the Arduino IDE serial monitor when it was supposedly running a sketch.

Thanks for your input.

Using my bluetooth with an Uno works fine. I am finding that some of the issue with working with my Teensy might be UArt and software serial stuff . I have read that software serial does not work (or well) with the Teensy.

SoftwareSerial only works for the three sets of pins that have real UARTs attached (0/1 for Serial1, 9/10 for Serial2, and 7/8 for Serial3). So move your bluetooth connection to one of those sets of pins. If you are not trying to run the same program on both an Uno and Teensy, get rid of SoftwareSerial, and use Serial1/Serial2/Serial3 direction.

Also make sure that your bluetooth device can run on 3.3v. Some that I've seen advertised on ebay are 5v only. You can work with a 5v bluetooth device, if you use level shifters, but it is simpler if you make sure you don't need to do the shifting.

For Teensy 3, try Serial1 on rx1 (pin0) and tx1 (pin1) as Michael suggests. In your sketch, in setup() use
"Serial1.begin(9600); //using teensy3.1 rx1=pin0 and tx1=pin1" instead of other calls to soft serial, hardware serial etc.

might be worth checking the baud rate of the bt module, and ensuring that this matches the begin() baud rate (and the baud rate set in the serial monitor widow?).
Also, double check that you have rx bt module -> tx teensy and tx bt module -> rx teensy and NOT rx->rx and tx->tx. I know its obvious, but double check, as I have forgotten this previously.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will work on this tomorrow and get back to you.
Morton...I was aware of the RX to TX stuff but thanks. It does seem a little "intuitive" to attach the same to same.

I have worked with somebody else (who is more knowledgeable than me) and we have figured out a few things. The bluetooth device I have from Sparkfun is picky with the Teensy. We believe it has something to do with the configuration mode and the set up involved with the config mode. My friend is using the EZ Link (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1588) from Adafruit that seems to be easier to work with. It doesn't have a config mode and since it automatically detects it doesn't have the same issues. Because of this I will be changing to the Adafruit product. For my project I want as few issues as possible to deal with. There are a few quirky things we are experiencing but overall the EZ Link is working with the Teensy. I think we just need to work with the Teensy and EZ Link a little more to figure out what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back