Custom Teensy 3.1 powered board not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxbot

Hello together,

today I soldered the new prototype boards for my project, a cheap-thermographic camera.
It's my first custom Teensy design, so I orientated myself on the schematic available on this site.
It contains a Lipo Charging / Boosting / Measuring circuit, a display connector and some peripherals.
But for testing purposes, I skipped the battery part and connected 5V USB power directly to VREGIN on the MCU so that part doesnt matter.
I assembled two boards, but the Teensy is not recognized at all. No sign of life at all, so I don't know where to start fixing.
If someone can PLEASE check my design, that would be very helpful in order to eliminate wiring mistakes.
Then its just my bad soldering skills and I can order new boards ;)

Here is the schematic:

MCU.jpgProgrammer and USB.jpg

Its looking like this: (red wire is connecting 5V USB to VREGIN):

Board.jpg

Thanks in advantage for any help :)
Max

Last edited:
I checked with the design i made and all seems to be similar except for the VREFH that you don't use, although i read that it's indeed not needed. Some thoughts:
- I know from another post that best is to have the XTALL as close as possible to the MK20 and that optimally there shouldn't be any traces under the XTALL pads.
- From the picture of the board, it looks like the traces right next to the MK20 are fried? Perhaps you heated too long?
- You did use the MINI54 ordered through PJRC's products, not from another site as these have not the correct boot loader?

Hope this helps in anyway... my design is working but i have an issue with the usb debug ;-)

I checked with the design i made and all seems to be similar except for the VREFH that you don't use, although i read that it's indeed not needed. Some thoughts:
- I know from another post that best is to have the XTALL as close as possible to the MK20 and that optimally there shouldn't be any traces under the XTALL pads.
- From the picture of the board, it looks like the traces right next to the MK20 are fried? Perhaps you heated too long?
- You did use the MINI54 ordered through PJRC's products, not from another site as these have not the correct boot loader?

Hope this helps in anyway... my design is working but i have an issue with the usb debug ;-)

Thanks for those suggestions !
I think I fried the traces to the MCU, thats the problem. I am now creating a separate board only for the MK20 and another one with the MINI54 as programmer. Yes, I used the pre-programmed one from PJRC as the boot loader is not open source I think.
Placing the Oscillators very close to the pads is also a good point. Same applies to the 0.1uF caps.
As soon as the new boards are here, I will give feedback if it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back