what is teensy board

Status
Not open for further replies.

nouser

Hi there. What is teensy boared used for? I need one board where i can connect buttons and potentiometers and connect this board to my computer as "joystick". is this board suitable for me? do i need to program this board or it comes fully loaded with firmware etc etc etc? im looking for an alternative of leobondar joystick board.. is teensy what i need? thanks!

hi there, thanks for your reply. is there source code for buttons(digital) or analog(potentiometers) avaliable? is it recognised by the pc as usb game controller?

There are tons of libraries available and the community is very helpful. You'll find substantial interest and support for joysticks and buttons if you search for the forum here for joystick or google for Teensy joystick or similar. Many of the Arduino libraries have been ported to the various Teensys, so many of the Arduino tutorials apply here as well. One big difference you'll find however with the Teensy 3.x since it is an ARM Cortex-M4 processor, that writes directly to AVR registers would need to be ported.

im looking for an alternative of leobondar joystick board.. is teensy what i need? thanks!

Since it appears that the Leo Bondar joystick controller is doing exactly what you need - why are you looking for an alternative?

Well, Teensy is LOT more customizable!

But that also means you have to customize it, rather than simple use a ready-to-connect board. That means becoming familiar with the Arduino software. Teensyduino puts some examples in the File > Examples > Teensy > USB_Joystick menu, to help you get started. I'd suggest installing Arduino & Teensyduino, if you haven't already, and then start looking at those examples. The basic idea is you have to fill in code that reads the sensors and sends the joystick stuff. It doesn't happen automatically, like a canned Leo Bondar joystick module, but that also means you have tremendous control over how it's done.

Of course, here's the documentation on the USB Joystick functions.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_joystick.html

You might also look at this thread about some work that was done to create an alternate joystick with as many controls as possible. Please keep in mind this is only the USB joystick side. You still need to add code to read actual buttons & sensors, just like the regular USB jostick stuff, but only a LOT more!

http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23681-Many-axis-joystick

As to cost, Teensy is somewhat less expensive, but it doesn't come with those nice terminals to connect wires without soldering. If you're good with just soldering wires, Teensy could be a real bargain. If not, it might work out to cost more the Leo's module by the time you build up a way to connect and disconnect wires.

awesome thanks! sure it worth it to try it instead of the other joystick module that i mentioned. i have some small experiance with arduino nano so if i get some source code for the joystick i will be able to expand it and customize it according to my needs.thanks for the info, ill order one

If you're planning to try that extreme joystick code, keep in mind it's only written for Teensy 3.1.

The basic joystick documented on the web page works on all Teensy models.

yea ill get the 3.1 . i need to add potentiometers, rotary encoders, and buttons/switches. is there source code avaliable for all this stuff?sorry im asking you and im not searching, i just need to be sure ;)

There are plenty of examples and Arduino libraries of using all of those peripherals... the real effort will be in customizing how they work together, which is probably not something that you can find in an example program. If you're new to programming and/or Arduino it might take a little bit of experimentation to get started but you're willing to try things out you'll be able to pull it off in no time.

hi thanks for your info, im into programming for years but i just wanted to make sure that libraries and source code is avaliable.i didnt want to end up working on this part of my project(the joystick buttons) for longer time than it worth it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back