Request for Stand-alone drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtos

Hi, looking for Teensy 3.1, 2.0, 1.0 driver files. I would like to package teensy.exe and the *.inf files so (preferably as an executable, or I can zip all the files up), so end users do not need to install teensyduino/arduino to perform product updates using a custom PCB we are designing. We plan to procure bootloader chips from Teensy soon, but need a user friendly install method (or atleast the drivers) for windows/mac.

Still looking for stand alone driver solutions for Teensy 2.0 and Teensy 3.1 Can I just grab them at Freescale or Atmel maybe?

Except for USB Serial, every USB option Teensy implements is supported by drivers that are automatically provided by all operating systems. No special driver setup is needed in any of those cases.

For USB Serial, Linux and Macintosh automatically provide a driver, so only Windows requires special setup.

For Windows, there's stand-alone driver installer here:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/serial_install.exe

Windows version 10 will provide the driver by default, like Linux and Macintosh have for many years. This installer does *NOT* currently check for Windows 10 (to avoid installing anything). A specific Windows 10 check is on my TO-DO list. If you make a copy of serial_install.exe, I highly recommend to check for an updated version shortly before Microsoft releases Windows 10.

It's also worth mentioning that Teensy Loader uses only USB HID, which is will supported by default on all 3 systems. No special drivers are needed.

Teensy was designed from the beginning (over 6 years ago) to use HID, not Serial as normal Arduino boards do, so programming the firmware would never require any driver installation.

It's also worth mentioning that Teensy Loader uses only USB HID, which is will supported by default on all 3 systems. No special drivers are needed.

Teensy was designed from the beginning (over 6 years ago) to use HID, not Serial as normal Arduino boards do, so programming the firmware would never require any driver installation.

Interesting. So if I go put teensyloader.exe on a PC without installing any drivers, then just hit reset while the hex file is selected, it should program without even needing that serial_install driver above? I figured end users would just bombard us with questions since it asks for a driver when plugging into a windows machine.

Interesting. So if I go put teensyloader.exe on a PC without installing any drivers, then just hit reset while the hex file is selected, it should program without even needing that serial_install driver above?

Yes. You can try this yourself, to confirm for sure.

I figured end users would just bombard us with questions since it asks for a driver when plugging into a windows machine.

We started shipping all Teensy 3.1 with the LED blink compiled with USB Type set to RawHID, for exactly this reason. Some Windows users will go to amazing (and very wrong) lengths to search the internet and reinstall all sorts of unrelated drivers, when Windows prompts them to install a driver it can't find automatically.

serial_install.exe works fine on XP. Did you try it?

As on all versions of Windows, it actually only installs an INF which causes Windows to use its own USBSER.SYS driver.

And if you never program your Teensy with Tools > USB Type set to "Serial", none of this is ever needed. The non-Serial types work on all versions of Windows from 2000 to 10.

Last edited:
Every time I give someone the raw INF, it turns into tech support questions.

If you email me directly, I'll send it to you. You must promise zero questions. Only 1 reply allowed, only "thank you". Absolutely zero tech support for the raw INF!

I have a customer using a product of mine based on Teensy 2.0 and using Serial. He is running Win 7 64 bit and likes to avoid doing Windows updates. Serial_instal.exe will not get the drivers loaded on his machine with an error 28 reported (not the mysterious 43). It actually tells him they are installed during the process, but then its obvious they are not. When it comes to Win 7 64 is there a minimum update level (service pack X) or other info that I can pass along to him? Nebulous question, but any help is greatly appreciated.

with an error 28 reported (not the mysterious 43).

In the device manager, right click on the bad device and select the option to uninstall.

Immediately after the device is uninstalled, unplug the USB cable.

Wait 5 seconds, and then plug it back in to a *different* USB port. Windows treats each port separately in its registry, so your odds of success are greatly improved if you plug into a physically different port, even though logically they all work the same.

When Windows re-detects the device, do not interfere or cancel. If the New Hardware Wizard asks questions (shouldn't happen on version 7, but does on XP and maybe Vista), keep clicking the default until it completes.

If you're lucky, things will work properly. If not, I'm afraid the only other way I know involves wiping the hard drive and completely reinstalling Windows.

Hi Paul,
Similar to the posts above, I would like to install the teensy 32 driver for Windows with a distribution/install disk.
I downloaded http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/serial_install.exe to include in distribution for a new computer,
but Windows 8 does not allow it to run even as administrator (see error window), and then Norton removes it.
Can I just copy oem106.inf to "C\windows\inf"
or
put the file oem106.inf on my distribution disk for windows to search when finding anew device at installation?
or any other suggestion for making an install disk for installing a device with the teensy3.2 on a new computer?

Thanks...Ness Question about Serial_Install exe.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back