WS2811, Teensy3.1 and C prog example

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhk

Hi,
Newbi here, unable to find any posts on WS2811, or C prog example for driving WS2811 on FAQ search.

So my questions:
I am using "C" programming on eclipse on windows7.

Q1. Are there any example "C" programs on this web site for
a "plug and play" of Teensy3.1+adapter to be used via USB on Win7+Eclipse+C code?

Q2. Are Teensy3.1 boards pre-programmed to drive WS2811 or I need to download the
development environment and program the Teensy3.1 before using a C prog on Win7 machine
to drive the Teensy3.1 via USB?

Thanks in advance

I believe the ws2811 is the older version of the LED strings that the ws2812 and now ws2812b have pretty much replaced. The ws2811 runs at 400Mhz, while the ws2812/ws2812b runs at 800Mhz. The first thing is to determine whether you have real ws2811's or whether you have ws2812's. Unless you got old stock, it is likely that you may have ws2812's. Libraries include:

Most examples assume you are using the Arduino IDE (1.0.5 or 1.0.6) combined with the Teensydunio support package (1.20). There are examples of using Eclipse or raw makefiles instead of the Arduino IDE, but perhaps it might be easier to start with the Arduino environment.

Hi MichaelMeissner,
Thanks for the quick response,
I have ws2812b yet. UI am planning to purchase a Teensy3.1+adaptor.
I have adafruit flora which I use to drive a chain of 4 neopixels with the adafruit libs.
But my goal is to use the eclipse and C code on win7+eclipse development platform.
So my questions above stand.
Any more responses appreciated,

I would imagine if you use the Teensydunio libraries and import one of the above libraries it should just work. Like many projects, you have to break things down into smaller steps. Get setup with the Eclipse environment, and program something simple like Blink, and then once you have the environment setup, add the Adafruit libraries to Eclipse.

Or alternatively, start with the Teensydunio installer, and use the Arduino IDE and program Blink. Then add the Adafruit libraries, and do your neopixels. Then move over the Eclipse environment.

Since the Flora is 3.3v, you presumably have already dealt with getting neopixels to run from a 3.3v system.

I don't think Teensy come 'preprogrammed' to do more than the blink code. so as to Question 2 I believe the answer is you will need to download the development environment and code the Teensy to work withthe ws2812b and your intended usb interface to the windows platform.

I'm not following what you are asking for in question #1, when using Teensyduino there is a selection in the Arduino IDE under 'tools->USB Type' and there are several options to allow the Teensy (once the code is downloaded' support as a 'Serial' or "Keyboard mouse and joystick" or both etc. That I believe will load the associated software onto the Teensy as you download your sketch

I'm no expert but that is how I interpret the system.

Hi MichaelMeissner & fretless_kb,
Thank you for the info. I think I know what I need to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back