Teensy 3.1 with Wiznet WIZ820io crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is also crashing. Usually takes hours or a day, I tough the problem was related to the example of octoWS2812, but seeing that other people has problems with other sketches makes me think the problem resides in the ethernet library or maybe a power faliure? I will keep digging.

I am using Teensy 3.2 with the WIZ820io & Micro SD Card Adaptor, the WIZnet WIZ820io and the OctoWS2811 Adaptor. I'm not using DHCP.

Make sure you have a rock solid 3.3V power supply! If the voltage sags down to below 3.15V the WIZ820io seems to hang up randomly.

Updating to the latest version of the libraries seemed to help. I also found a bug in my code that it would try to read more bytes from the stream even when there was actually available, this sometimes caused a crash of the WIZ module. Attempt to read 0 bytes also causes unusual behavior.

I use DHCP yes, and the behavior is indeed as you described.

So the Wiz550io doesn't have this issue? I've switched some of my applications over to this board because it's cheaper, so this could be a nice extra :) .

See update to my original post about WIZ850io which is what we are moving to ASAP. The WIZ850io only were order-able on May 02 and ours just came in along with first run of a new board intended to wring them out. Will post my DHCP stress test and recovery code and more to Github as soon as I can get to it.

Last edited:
See update to my original post about WIZ850io which is what we are moving to ASAP. The WIZ850io only were order-able on May 02 and ours just came in along with first run of a new board intended to wring them out. Will post my DHCP stress test and recovery code and more to Github as soon as I can get to it.
Excellent! Didn't knew the the 850io was out. Looks interesting, W5500 in the Wiz820io form factor.

Excellent! Didn't knew the the 850io was out. Looks interesting, W5500 in the Wiz820io form factor.

Exactly, it is intended to be the WIZ820io replacement in the future. The WIZ820io will be available for a while, since a lot of people use it and it is not fully code-compatible with the 850io. The WIZ850io also less expensive. If only the firmware was completely compatible. There are several W5500 projects and libraries out there. I also picked up a WIZnet W5500 Ethernet shield just as another reference point. It could be run with an Arduino or wired over to a Teensy.

This is also the first I've heard of the WIZ850io. Looks like Mouser and others don't yet have it. I ordered a couple directly from Wiznet's site.

I also have a couple no-name W5500 modules that are the WIZ820io form factor and appear to use the same pinout. Supporting the W5500 chip is on my to-do list, but not a top priority... meaning it's unlikely to happen until at least July.

This is also the first I've heard of the WIZ850io. Looks like Mouser and others don't yet have it. I ordered a couple directly from Wiznet's site.

I also have a couple no-name W5500 modules that are the WIZ820io form factor and appear to use the same pinout. Supporting the W5500 chip is on my to-do list, but not a top priority... meaning it's unlikely to happen until at least July.

Right, we too ordered direct from WIZnet. Understood about the support. We are using the 820io/W5200 for now and hoping we can figure out how to add the W5500 support ourselves.

I'd like to ask everyone to please make sure you're using Teensyduino 1.28 or 1.29-beta1. It has major changes (hopefully all improvements) to the Ethernet library. I fixed some long standing bugs, and I made performance improvements to reading.

Please test with the latest. If there's a known ARP issue with W5200, can anyone point me to more info? I would really like to be able to reproduce this problem, and hopefully improve the library to automatically recover.

Looking forward to W5500 support, will save me from having 4 different Ethernet libs installed.

Paul: could you maybe add non-blocking DHCP (and DNS) as an option? It should be possible to have the library functioning non-blocking when defined in the sketch, and functioning like the legacy lib by default. I currently hack this behavior into the lib. I'll try to clean up and document my code if it could be useful.

Yes, I discussed with you about it in another thread and my version of the library is based on yours, albeit with a few fixes and optimisations. But it would be nice to have it integrated into the standard lib that ships with Teensyduino.

Looking forward to W5500 support, will save me from having 4 different Ethernet libs installed.

I'll probably do this in a month or two. It's not a top priority, but I do have those WIZ850io boards on order... and I understand the 820 is probably at the end of its life.

Paul: could you maybe add non-blocking DHCP (and DNS) as an option?

That's on my list of Ethernet stuff to consider, next time I work on the library.

I currently hack this behavior into the lib. I'll try to clean up and document my code if it could be useful.
albeit with a few fixes and optimisations. But it would be nice to have it integrated into the standard lib that ships with Teensyduino.

Send a pull request here:

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Ethernet

Please understand any pull request that's not a very low risk, very self contained patch will probably sit for weeks, maybe even a couple months. But I will eventually get it merged. If it's languishing, when talk of Teensyduino 1.30 betas happens would be the perfect time to remain me....

For 1.29, features are frozen at this point. Only bug fixes will apply for 1.29.

Quick followup on this old thread. So much has changed and improved in the Ethernet library over the last 2 years, including a number of improvements just this week. We now fully support the W5500 chip. But non-blocking DHCP is still on the wish-list (and a pull request sitting on github... which I have some reservations about merging before I can talk with the Arduino devs about APIs).

As a quick test, I ran the webserver example with a WIZ850io & Teensy LC and held down F5 as described in msg #6 to rapidly reload the page. I'm happy to say it kept running for at least a minute and never crashed.

I believe this problem is now long behind us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back