.wav files / headers

mxxx

not a big issue, i guess, but can cause some frustration: a few eurotrash users reported that certain .wav files don't play with play_sd_wav. specifically, files that were generated by Steinberg WavLab don't seem to work (in most cases), re-exporting them with audicity makes them playable. i seem to see the same thing.

i attach two files, in case anyone could confirm? (fvocal.wav = steinberg; fvocal2.wav = audacity)

i suspect it's the header, which differ.

Attachments

• wav.zip
    748.3 KB · Views: 112
fvocal.wav has an extra "chunk" named "PAD " in front of the "data" chunk. This will throw off any program that doesn't parse the file properly.

Pete

yeah, there seems to be quite some extra stuff (4kB or so). i'm not particularly familiar with the wav standard, so i don't how exotic usage of the 'PAD' chunk is. it looks as if 'STATE_PARSE4' in the parser probably should take care of it ("ignore any extra unknown chunks"), but seemingly doesn't.

Thanks Pete, for giving those a try.

If there are WAV files that reproduce a bug, please let me know. I tried to design the WAV player to automatically ignore any unknown sections, but I don't have a collection of all WAV files created by every program. It's entirely possible I made a mistake somewhere.

Back