Teensy Synth? (for Dummies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Hey gang. After discovering http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/gui/ and begining to understand some of the audio potential of Teensy3, I am keen to start experiemnting with a Teensy Synth.

Can someone recommend a good way to simulate the sounds, or learn more about synthesis, in a way that will help me better understand all the modules in the GUI? The end goal is to create a simple, modular, micro, Teensy Synth.

I (like most people) know very little about synthesis. I understand basic A/F modulation and sin/square/saw waves, but that is about it...

Thanks!!!

Synthesis is an art form, much like painting, with a technical side and of course the artistic side.

The Teensy Audio Library provides the technical side, much like a collection of paint brushes, different paints, and canvas. Most of the stuff I've done has focused on the technical details, to give you an optimized toolkit, which hopefully takes care of all the tech stuff well, so you can focus mostly on the artistic aspects of using it.

Using the library to play sound effects or analyze real-time audio to control LEDs is fairly straightforward. But synthesis is more an of art form, where someone unskilled in the art (like me) would end up with test tones and not-very-musically-pleasing results, perhaps like the stick figures and color splotches you'd expect to end up on a canvas by someone with no experience in painting (also me).

My hope is people more familiar with the artistic side of synthesis, like Nantonos, might comment with some ideas or links to good resources. This is an area where I have little experience. Just because I can write highly optimized algorithms in the library doesn't mean I know much about the artistic side of actually using those tools to achieve artistic results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back