EQ + Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackemint

Hello!
I'm experimenting with the Teensyduino Audio System Design Tool and I'd like to make a simple mono effect chain.
The EQ part I figured would just be a chain of parallel filters with fixed frequencies - setting the frequency with a DC block.

However, for the compressor part I'm a little bit uncertain to how the blocks can be used.
I figured I might just multiply the incoming signal with an ADSR function, but how can I trigger the ADSR correctly?

Regards
/Macke

There are not currently any objects to do compression. Its possible you could construct something using peak to control multiply.

Another option would be to use the built-in audio processor on STGL5000 which does have
Code:
autoVolumeControl(maxGain, response, hardLimit, threshold, attack, decay);
You need to use
Code:
audioPreProcessorEnable();
if using the audio processor.

Last edited:
The compressor works pretty well! I did find a little bug in it where it would crash into a certain mode, but by and large its great and runs on zero clockticks as well :)

The compressor works pretty well! I did find a little bug in it where it would crash into a certain mode, but by and large its great and runs on zero clockticks as well :)

What was the bug? I am thinking of implementing this too. Have you go any audio examples of it in the wild?

certain settings (detailed in bitcrusher example) crash the compressor entirely. you need to reset the board to get any more sound out correctly.

I didnt record anything at the time. I'll soon be doing a demovid of where my project is at the moment, this will include the compressor.

Its AudioPostProcessorEnable, not Pre btw.

certain settings (detailed in bitcrusher example) crash the compressor entirely. you need to reset the board to get any more sound out correctly.

I didnt record anything at the time. I'll soon be doing a demovid of where my project is at the moment, this will include the compressor.

Its AudioPostProcessorEnable, not Pre btw.

i will try to the compressor too, thanks for sharing your experience and your future findings!

Is there anything that will allow one to use a separate audio source to trigger the compression for side-chain compression?

Is there anything that will allow one to use a separate audio source to trigger the compression for side-chain compression?

Not that I'm aware of.

It's possible in software but we'd need to write a software compressor instead, which to my mind, is what is needed.

Also worth mentioning that by its very nature of pulling a mix down from the end of the run back to effect compression before mixdown, this would incorporate a performance hit.

There may be ways to workaround this and eliminate it in some cases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back