Start-up products

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamjohns1990

Hello!

I'm a massive fan of Teensy and use them in almost all my projects. Some friends and I are pursuing the idea of starting an electronics based start-up company. We were wondering if anyone give us some quick guidance or help with market research. We've tried contacting a lot of retailers but without a completed project it seems their policy is not to discuss this kind of thing unfortunately!

One of the first projects we were considering finishing was a unique type of lighting/interactive product for hobbyists. We were wondering about the feasibility of pursuing this in terms of costings. There are a few similar products around in terms of quality, genre and pricing (but not design!) - things like LED Matrices/Strips. I wouldn't want to 'pick out' a product but any LED/lighting items around $40 would most likely be similar for the sake of comparison here.

Broadly speaking, could anyone advise as to how much such products are bought for by retailers (like Adafruit/Sparkfun, or any other) if they are sold at around $40 and how many of such a product would be sold per month for a single retailer? If there is anyone with any insight - your guidance would be very much appreciated!!

I understand that there may be quite some variation between different products. Even if you know if there is a high or low profit margin in this industry and if quality or quantity is key that would be great. I don't know if the profit would be 50% or 1%! I'm also interested to know if there is a good market for these products in your opinion, or if it's too competitive, for example.

Thanks!

Retail price = 200-400% of BOM cost.

I take the input cost for individual components and multiply by 2.5 or 3 to get the retail price. Then I try to reduce costs by buying in bulk and streamlining assembly processes to maximize "profit". Even 3x is a relatively slim margin after factoring in taxes, packaging costs, selling fees, and, of course, if you want to get compensated for your time.

Of course, retail price depends fab cost, warranty allowance cost, marketing/sales, G&A, blah blah, on number of distributors in the chain, their markups, etc.

I'd say do yourself a favour and don't try and compete with the big names already out there. They will always be able to market their product cheaper, due to good pre-existing trade links and the power of bulk buying (manufacturing, parts etc).
Instead, try and find yourself a gap in the market; something that doesn't already exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back