Teensy still usable? Ripped off an SMD part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinu

I managed to rip off an SMD part from my Teensy 3.1. A new one is in the mail, but will not reach me within the next 2-3 weeks.
Hence my question: What does this part do? It seems to bridge two pins of the flash memory chip.

Thanks for any insight!

2015-01-17#16-53-02-2447-Bearbeitet.jpg

Thanks! Indeed, it still seemed to work. Unfortunately I managed to completely destroy it afterwards: De-soldiering a daughterboard is not easy...

I feel your pain, I accidentally ruined the B2 ring so I had to solder the wire directly to the chip, about 1 hour of surgery like process.
all because I tried to de-solder a daughterboard...

Btw, when possible, I use a simple header to connect/disconnect the teensy from most of my projects for the prototype, even if the final product must not have the headers, its easier and safer to later desolder the female header from the board than to desolder the teensy from the board.

Something I picked on the comments:

These are actually “Press Fit” headers. The loop part goes in the hole. They are meant to be permanent; removing them will likely wreck the through-plating in your PTH.

These headers are good only if you want to avoid the soldering, they are NOT removable.

I wanted to use the Teensy on a Hexacopter to log flight data from the CanBus. Weight is all important there, so normals headers are the best approach. This would have worked, if I did not give up the multicopter flying as a hobby... But by then the Teensy was already soldered to the daughterboards.
First I tried to use solder braid, but this did not work. Then I used a Dremel to mechanically cut the daughterboard loose. Afterwards, I could de-solder pin by pin, which worked nicely. In the end, the Teensy still seemed to work fine, except for the LED which no longer lit up.
Anyway, I gave up and am now awaiting the delivery of a new Teensy 3.1. For 20$ I wouldn't even have tried to cut the daughterboard loose, but in Switzerland I have to pay at least 40$ for a Teensy 3.1 ;(
I now ordered from the USA, which is cheaper (30$ including shipping), but takes 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
I just had a misfortunate case, I ordered 3 Teensy 2++ but didn't receive it, probably a problem in either US post or the Israeli post. anyway, thumbs up for Paul since he fully refunded me.. I will probably order around 5 units and just ship it with Fedex in a couple of days/weeks..

its worth the extra few bucks

Anyway, I gave up and am now awaiting the delivery of a new Teensy 3.1. For 20$ I wouldn't even have tried to cut the daughterboard loose, but in Switzerland I have to pay at least 40$ for a Teensy 3.1 ;(
I now ordered from the USA, which is cheaper (30$ including shipping), but takes 2-3 weeks.

Kannst Du nicht in Deutschland bestellen ? Z.B. exp-tech.de 17,80 € und sehr schnell.

Thanks, now that the Euro is so cheap for Swiss people this could be an option. Unfortunately they charge more for shipping than the U.S. base distributor that I found...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back