Coming Soon: Teensy-LC (low cost Teensy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow thanks, that's really nice !
I can wait for the green board too. No problem paying shipping to Canada too.
:)

give the boards to those who can deliver feedback faster and cheaper. I'm looking forward to the green one.
Christoph,
Maybe we can organize a bulk order, and thereby save on postage (for the green ones)

Vielleicht können wir ja eine Sammelbestellung organisieren um zu Porto sparen.
Gibt es ja noch mehr User aus Deutschland ?

Looking forward to a green one. Purple is better reserved for others who can provide more feedback in the near term. Thanks!

Awesome stuff. I'd been intending to make our prototype run of our product in development using 3.1's but these should do the trick perfectly and save a fair chunk of the development budget. =) Looking forward to the full release.

Paul, Robin, very nice thought. glad to see this was based on posting quantity not quality ;) otherwise, well…

please exclude me from early testing, as I'm in London.
I would love to get a greeny hooked up to explore the scope of the 5v data logic pin 17, along with bluetooth and wifi connectivity.

all the best
m

Thanks for including me on the list!

My current priority is laying out the audio boards, so I definitely won't have a chance to look at one of the early 9 as quickly as some of the others on the list.

Question, will the Media Access Control (MAC) address be burnt in. It is a really great feature.

I believe that this is related to the use of K20 with M4 so not on the M0?, but really, I have no idea about these things.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting me on the list. I wouldn't be able to do justice to the testing if I were one-of-9, so I'm content to wait for a green one.

Pete

As this is a 48MHz chip, will it be run at 48MHz or (like the 48Mhz Teensy 3.0) at 96 Mhz? What will F_Bus be at the normal speed?

Will be interesting to see how the T3-LC does with MIDI-DIN and MIDI-USB stuff.

I assume that the lack of M4 DSP and Math instructions mean the Audio Library will not work?

With two SPI buses, I wonder if one can be an SPI master (to talk to some sensor that makes a lot of data) whilre the other is an SPI slave (to send some processed, filtered, or otherwise down-sized derived data on to a Teensy 3.1 which is SPI master)?

i am happy to wait also. Others maintain libraries, etc so they should get the first go.

When the time comes, I'll have a go at trying to get the 'RTC' feature tested / calibrated. FWIW, the NX Crystal used in the Teensy was pretty good re stability so their approach may be good enough for indoor applications.

there's no built in RTC so you'd need something like a DS3231?

I humbly suggest something like this might fill the bill. I'll update tonight with my latest adventures getting this to work as I want.

I humbly suggest something like this might fill the bill. I'll update tonight with my latest adventures getting this to work as I want.

Though if you need an RTC, it probably would be simpler to stay with a Teensy 3.1, unless you wanted to use the fancier temp. controlled RTC's.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but there's no built in RTC so you'd need something like a DS3231?

If this is the right document http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/ref_manual/KL26P121M48SF4RM.pdf?fasp=1 , there's a built-in rtc:

Features
The RTC module features include:
• 32-bit seconds counter with roll-over protection and 32-bit alarm
• 16-bit prescaler with compensation that can correct errors between 0.12 ppm and
3906 ppm
• Register write protection
• Lock register requires POR or software reset to enable write access
• 1 Hz square wave output

KL2_BD.jpg

Last edited:
@Paul..
ok.. then... "I have time to beta test now, please send me one of those first 9 boards"

THANK YOU!!

Question, will the Media Access Control (MAC) address be burnt in. It is a really great feature.

Yes, Teensy-LC will come with the unique MAC number.

I currently have the test fixture programming the number, but how we're going to manage uniqueness between Teensy 3.1 and Teensy-LC is one of *many* small issues I still need to resolve. Like most things, I do have a plan, but it involves a more work to do....

As this is a 48MHz chip, will it be run at 48MHz or (like the 48Mhz Teensy 3.0) at 96 Mhz?

I haven't tried running faster than 48 MHz yet.

Freescale's documentation shows fewer options for the clock dividers, so every appearance is options will be pretty limited. I'm not optimistic for overclocking on this chip.

What will F_Bus be at the normal speed?

24 MHz.

A couple of the peripherals run directly from the system clock.

Will be interesting to see how the T3-LC does with MIDI-DIN and MIDI-USB stuff.

This is still on my list of stuff to test, but so far the serial stuff and USB stuff works great, so I'm not anticipating any issues.

I assume that the lack of M4 DSP and Math instructions mean the Audio Library will not work?

Correct. The audio library doesn't even compile, due to heavy use of those M4 instructions and the PDB timer.

Eventually (not soon) I'm planning to pretty substantially edit the audio library, to use one of the other timers for LC, and to turn most of the synthesis, filter and FFT objects into "null". Realistically, Teensy-LC should be able to play sounds, do mixing and other simple stuff. Most synthesis and effect objects will never run on the Cortex-M0+ process.

With two SPI buses, I wonder if one can be an SPI master (to talk to some sensor that makes a lot of data) whilre the other is an SPI slave (to send some processed, filtered, or otherwise down-sized derived data on to a Teensy 3.1 which is SPI master)?

That ought to work, but of course it will depend on the software details. SPI slave mode is tricky to support well in software.

Paul -- I'd be interested, but realistically won't have time to experiment. My main use for Teensy's is to develop instrumentation for debugging chips my company develops, and frankly software ease-of-use is way higher on my priority list than cost/size for these projects.

I'm interested in the smaller Teensy for personal projects though in the future; but best to give the initial samples to the truly needy !

If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the question.
But I will, anyway.
Will there be a way to connect my Atmel JTAG/SWD debugger's two pins for debugging, SWDIO and SWCLK to this new board?

Steve, Teensy-LC keeps the form factor as close as possible to Teensy 3.1, which means no way to connect to those pins.

I do have some longer-term plans around SWD, which I can't discuss at this time. For now, Teensy-LC is meant to be as close as possible to Teensy 3.1, but offering a lower cost option.

Not sure I am worthy of this but I certainly will try to update the special boards.txt to get the Teensy-LC working with the Arduino Eclipse plugin/IDE.

Don't really need the hardware though so that can go to another needy soul. These will be very interesting for my LED lighting systems in the future as I really don't always need the power of the Teensy 3.x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back