Restore Teensy 3.1 Back to Orginal State

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a Teensy 3.1 to use as a GIMX Playstation 3 controller. Per the instructions on the GIMX site, I loaded "atmega32u4.hex" firmware to the Teensy.

When the GIMX controller did not work, eventually I realized I need Teensy 2.0 (which I have on order); not 3.1.

Now, when I try to load a Teensy 3.1 program (such as LED Blink), the loader gives me an error message stating that my Teensy 3.1 is an ATMEG32U4 and thinks it is a Teensy 2.0 (see attached).

Teensy Error.jpg

I searched this forum and the web for a Teensy 3.1 compatible firmware and was not successful.

Is there a way to restore my Teensy back to its original state when I bought it new?

Thank you!

The Teensy 3.1's firmware is on a separate chip (the Mini54) and you can't overwrite it, so no worries there.

A few thoughts:

1. I've not seen that error message before from the Arduino IDE. Is that what you're using to program?

2. Have you verified you've selected Teensy 3.1 under Tools | Boards

3. Have you tried pressing the Program button on the Teensy

1) The error message appears when I use the Teensy Loader program.

2) I have tried to use the Teensyduino application, change the board to "Teensy 3.1" (under Tools | Board), load "LED Blink" for 3.1, and I get a similar error message.

3) Yes, I have tried to press the Program button on the Teensy board.

Somehow the GIMX "firmware" ("atmega32u4.hex") makes the Teensy Loader think the board is a Teensy 2.0.

Here is the link to the GIMX Teensy 2.0 firmware:

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DIY_USB_adapter_for_dummies

GIMX Firmware.jpg

Is there another firmware I can load to restore the board to been seen as a Teensy 3.1 that will replace "atmega32u4.hex?"

Last edited:
This is what you're doing?

1. Start the Arduino IDE
2. In File | Examples | Basics you load the Blink sketch
3. In the Arduino IDE under Tools | Boards you have Teensy 3.1 selected
4. You click the Upload button
5. The Arduino IDE compiles the program and launches the Teensy loader -- you do not start the Teensy loader on your own, and you are not clicking options directly inside the Teensy loader e.g. File | Open Hex File
6. The Teensy loader gives you the error that the board is a Teensy 2.0 ?

I performed all of the recommend steps using the Arduino IDE and get the same error:

Teensy Error.jpg

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

If you're following all the steps then I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but this is a weird problem.

Just in case something got corrupt -- have you tried rebooting your computer?

Actually, I performed all of these steps on a different Windows 7 computer. I had the same problem last night on a Windows XP desktop machine. All of the software was downloaded from either PJRC.com and the official Arduino site.

This definitely is not a Teensy 3.1 - it's a 2.0 !
So as long as you compile for 2.0, you should be fine ;) Blame the seller for declaring it as a 3.1

OK well that explains it. You do indeed have a Teensy 2.0.

You can tell because the main chip says MEGA32U4 -- the main chip in the Teensy 3.1 says "MK20DX…" and has a few more components on the board (like a small chip that says "MINI54T" right next to the USB connector. There's a good pic here:

https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy31.html

Going back to the earlier problem, please try changing Tools | Board to Teensy 2 and uploading "Blink", that will hopefully work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back