Teensy 3.1 recognition problem Windows 8 (not solved by common troubleshooting tips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomek

Hi!

EDIT SOLVED, See text at bottom

I'm hoping for some help with a little problem. I can't seem to get two teensy 3.1s running. I actually have another 2 that run without a problem.

They do run the blinking LED program without a problem. I plug them in however, and I don't get any com port device. Instead I see "USB Composite Device"

I tried a few things.
(1) I tried reinstalling the full 1.20 teensyloader package. Didn't seem to help.
(2) I tried uninstalling the USB Composite Device, and then reinstalling just the serial driver program. Didn't help.

I think maybe I need to try updating the composite device to the teensy driver, but I can't find that individual file, in the "Update driver---> browse" method. I looked through my teensy arduino ide folder in both the hardware and the drivers folders.

Here's the catch, I may have done something bad to these two teensys, or it is a coincidence.
These are the two teensys that I forgot to cut the Vusb trace when plugging them into a 3.9V (measured) Lipo carrier board. I pulled them out and cut the trace after <30seconds. So they were at some point supplied 5-5V5 from a laptop [current protected] & also 3V9. The thing is, I have done this before to teensy 3.1 boards (stupid) and they had no problem. So I hope this is a coincidental thing- but I am just trying to avoid withholding information.

Any advice? Particularly as a start I think it would be good to know where the .inf for the teensy 3.1 is. I tried searching *.inf in my teensy folder and didn't find it. If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

Other than that maybe someone else has had a problem like this before.

Thanks!!
-Tomek

SOLVED: Explanation
Ok, so I guess something happened to improve my situation. While my teensy showed up as "USB Composite" I was still able to get it to prompt the teensy loader, simply by verifying my sketch then pressing the reset/program button. This prompted windows which in turn installed the correct COM drivers. I then pressed it again, since my sketch hadn't loaded properly, and the second time my sketch loaded properly.

Does it make any sense to me why 2 teensys would work and 2 wouldn't? Not to me, I'm not entirely sure what happened. Perhaps it related to the serial emulation or what not. Yet, that doesn't totally make sense since I know the right drivers are available. But it is working now, and I am happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back