USB Device Charger Detection (USBDCD)

ftrias

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience using the USBDCD features of the Kinetis MCUs. It detects whether the device is connected to a USB charger or a computer. It might be useful for me in a project where I am trying to add a battery, but only turn on charging if connected to a charger, and turn off charging when connected to a laptop. Any advice appreciated.

It is described in (among other places) Chapter 14 of http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/quick_ref_guide/KQRUG.pdf.

This charger can make use of either DC power in from a wall wart or solar cell, or USB power from a laptop. There is a GPIO output to monitor the charge state of the battery but it only detects when the battery is charging or is fully charged. Might meet your needs.

Currently no, when the battery is full and power is supplied via USB or DC in, the charger is off. But when the battery requires charging the charge circuit comes on automatically. There is no charge enable with the MAX1555. Other charger chips have an enable which can be used to turn off the charger independent of the power in state. So the only way to turn off the charger is to remove power in. However, the teensy gets its power from the battery, so turning off the Teensy power switch does remove power from the teensy independent from the charger.

Back