raspberry pi model 2 (quad-core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, too little RAM for quad core, and still on the slow side. Then you have the matter that the 'disk' is a SD card. It will speed some things up, if you run appropriate apps that mostly stay inside of the L1/L2 caches.

Seems pretty amazing for only $35.

Some of the quotes in that article do sound pretty optimistic. I still remember all the 2012 hype... and waiting hours and hours for anything to compile on those first 256K 50-50 split RAM boards that couldn't boot any of the faster SD cards.

This new one might actually be a good performer. I'm sure it'll be better, but I just don't trust quotes like this from Upton:

foundation head honcho Eben Upton said: "I think it's a usable PC now. It was always the case that you could use a Raspberry Pi 1 as a PC but you had to say 'this is a great PC in so far as it cost me 35 bucks'. We've removed the caveat that you had to be a bit forgiving with it. Now it's just good."

Seems pretty amazing for only $35.

Agree completely. That said, if they really want the thing to bridge the Embedded MCU to Linux generalist CPU gap, then they'll likely have to find a way to dedicate the CPU cores in a way that Parallax does so that the timing of tasks is good vs. uneven. Not saying it can't be done but it would deviate from the general direction of how these CPUs are used.

I may buy one some day to see if I can't use it as a web server for the whole house DAQ system. Relatively low cost, low power consumption, and powerful enough to allow it to create and serve PNGs to my web server. That in turn prevents any holes in my home firewall.

The linux method to bind programs to cores and memory controllers is numactl. That Raspian image I use on my pi, does not have numactl and a goggle search shows that in 2014 there were errors in building it. I imagine that most of the distros will make it available shortly now that a multi-core version is shipping.

Last edited:
I think a dual-core would be handy. It's good to have one cpu for the OS, and one for a specific process. Doubly good if you can reserve the CPU for a process.
Also would be handy to toggle the cores (ie 1 or 2 cores normally, 4 cores on demand), but that functionality might not be available when they launch or ever.

I don't think this would solve any timing issues that we typcally deal with, even if using linux rtos.

Yes. Microsoft have said they'll be rolling out a windows 10 variant for it.
That's the real big news if you ask me.

I dunno, I have no interest in Windows anything, particularly given how well Microsoft has supported anything but x86 in the past. Of course, I'm a Linux user, and only run Windows when I need to update my camera's firmware, or fix some problem on my wife's laptop.

And of course, I perhaps am still slightly bitter that Windows for PowerPC was cancelled before I could finish the GCC runtime support for it :cool:

Here's the windows announcement:
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

With an official partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation, Microsoft is bringing development tools, services and ecosystem to the Raspberry Pi community.

The official partnership is the part that sours me on the future prospects. It's not clear what that means. Linux development may take a back seat or worse. There's already an element of closed-source to Rpi, now MS can leverage that & lock out other OS. Without more from Rpi, this is pretty much dead to me.

I ordered one - replace/augment the older one I have.
I've found that Pi useful for network'ey things. Like emailing me when an I/O event happens. Or run my Python code. One such emails me if my cable modem upstream signal is about to go out of bounds, and when it comes back in range.

Things like that.

I use VNC with it, to remote desktop access it. I may try Teamviewer on it now. I've started using TeamViewer and I think they have a Linux version.

steve

PS: WIndows 10 on this is a bit over the top marketing. The Pi guys might be getting a out of their charter. I'd expect the 900MHz CPU and just (!) 1GB of RAM to cause Win 10 to behave like tree sloths in winter. Linux doesn't have the VM that is .net in Windows. But all the apps are migrated to C# and the VM.

Last edited:
It sure would be cool if this new Raspberry Pi 2 could run Teensyduino with no problems.
If that becomes a reality I will probably give one a try.

My concern is that MS doesn't really want a successful, inexpensive platform for running a free version of windows. They just don't want another platform to gain any traction. Making the platform worse for everyone would be considered a win for MS. That's why I worry about the official partnership, because is there an actual contract and what's in that agreement? My 2 cents.

Microsoft did seem to kill Linux from netbooks... before Apple came along with the iPad and killed netbooks entirely.

I really don't think this is similar, since Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't make PCs. Still, before Microsoft dusted off XP and imposed minimum netbook specs, at least for a while there it seemed like netbooks really were going to bring forth the mythical year of Linux on the desktop.

Here's the windows announcement:
http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support

With an official partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation, Microsoft is bringing development tools, services and ecosystem to the Raspberry Pi community.

The official partnership is the part that sours me on the future prospects. It's not clear what that means. Linux development may take a back seat or worse. There's already an element of closed-source to Rpi, now MS can leverage that & lock out other OS. Without more from Rpi, this is pretty much dead to me.

The windows this Raspberry is same as for the Intel Galileo boards, it's only for easy IoT development, using .net and so on, no GUI, so you could maybe compare it to DOS instead of Windows..

Yes, but since they wrote the windows7/8 kernel for ARM, why start backporting XP?

But I wonder what wil become of ARM based windows, I thought I read somewhere that Windows RT is gone after win8.1, but maybe they continue on an sort of embedded version in the future?
Windows Embedded was also upgraded after XP, but those installations have gui. (I see it when the displays on our busses reboot.. )

Well, looking at the history of Win CE and Embedded XP and Embedded / POS Win 7...
https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-7.aspx

I suspect that MS has quietly sold a lot of this to OEMs. But it may be that the cessation of Embedded XP too early ticked off lots of OEMs.
I've wondered if one reason for Embedded Windows is that if there's a big security flap with it, the OEMs have someone to blame and try to sue, whereas not so with Linux.

I have not ordered one yet but hopefully, in the future, running arduino 1.0.6 with teensyduino 1.2x should be
easily doable with this new pi. I'm setting my sights on a lightweight portable teensy development system using
the Raspberry Pi 2.

I have not ordered one yet but hopefully, in the future, running arduino 1.0.6 with teensyduino 1.2x should be
easily doable with this new pi. I'm setting my sights on a lightweight portable teensy development system using
the Raspberry Pi 2.
Pi isn't a good development platform - even Pi 2 would be too slow, mostly due to mass storage speeds.

@stevech

I certainly respect your expert opinion sir, but since I only work with teensy's for
hobby fun a dev system that's a bit slow would not be a problem. :)

@stevech

I certainly respect your expert opinion sir, but since I only work with teensy's for
hobby fun a dev system that's a bit slow would not be a problem. :)
Indeed. Worst case I read was Paul (here) trying to build the toolchain. Ran for half a day or more. A simpler compile would be minutes, I suppose. I use Python on an RPi and it's good enough.

I do have an experimental and so far, pretty much untested build of the toolchain and of the Arduino IDE with Teensyduino's patches. It's just waiting for some brave Raspberry Pi enthusiast to test....

But until after Teensy-LC is released, I won't be able to respond to any bug reports or even offer much guidance about how to use it.

That's good news Paul. When I get an RPI 2 I'll sure give it a whirl. Maybe when stevech gets his he
might become a hero :) and get it all working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back