Can't upload to teensy 3.1 on Xubuntu all of a sudden

glasspusher

Hi all,
Between my mac running 10.10 and not liking Arduino 1.06, I've gone to my old thinkpad running a 32 bit Xubuntu. Getting back to doing some teensy stuff but for some reason things don't want to upload now (they did about a month ago). I have the udev rules installed. The OS can see the teensy (programmed previously) as ttyACM0. I can communicate with the program resident on the teensy already just fine using screen in a terminal window or the app I wrote to talk to it (data acquisition). I can upload stuff to an Arduino. I re-installed the teensy software just to be sure. Rebooted, tried another teensy, nothing. The teensy loader does launch. Pushing the reset button on the teensy(s) do nothing wrt to the teensy loader. Possibly relevant terminal output below.

Teensy 3.1, Arduino 1.0.6, Teensyduino 1.20.

Ubuntu 14.04, 32 bit

Edit: tried it on a different machine, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu front end, same results. Hmm.

thanks for any and all

Opening Teensy Loader...
Binary sketch size: 10,448 bytes (of a 262,144 byte maximum)
Estimated memory use: 2,576 bytes (of a 65,536 byte maximum)
/home/dave/sketchbook/arduino-1.0.6/hardware/tools/teensy_reboot -v -v -v -v -pmk20dx256 -chalfkay -P/dev/ttyACM0 -b12000000 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build3717631055513508044.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i
teensy_reboot, verbose mode
pid:1, vid1, name:1
found: /dev/ttyACM0
add_serial_name, /dev/ttyACM0
trying port 3149
found Teensy Loader, version 1.20
send: status - at Mon Feb 2 13:50:17 2015
do_reset (serial) /dev/ttyACM0
send: status - at Mon Feb 2 13:50:17 2015
status read, retry 0
send: status - at Mon Feb 2 13:50:18 2015
status read, retry 1

Last edited:
Maybe something's gone wrong with the pushbutton or Mini54 chip?

You can test with a voltmeter, measuring PROGRAM and RESET. The RESET signal is on a tiny test pad on the bottom side.

Pressing the button causes the PROGRAM line to go low. If the PROGRAM line stays high, it's a sure sign the button as failed. Try momentarily shorting it to ground with a wire.

When PROGRAM goes low, the Mini54 responds by pulling RESET low, for as long as you keep PROGRAM low. Once you know PROGRAM works, you can observe if the Mini54 is ok by watching if it pulls RESET low.

I have no idea why you're getting these problems, but hopefully this simple hardware testing can at least help narrow down whether something has failed on the Teensy side, or if you ought to do more on the PC side.

Back