New Teensy-LC

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcaes1

Hi again

I have a little question about the new Teensy - LC

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyLC.html

teensylc_front_small.jpg

Is compatible with teensy 3.1 sketchs in teensyduino?

Is compatible with this example of many axis joystick of teensy 3.1?

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23681-Many-axis-joystick?highlight=driver

Or i would need to make a changes?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• teensylc_front_small.jpg
    teensylc_front_small.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 285
Is compatible with teensy 3.1 sketchs in teensyduino?

Mostly, yes. Beta testing and porting of libraries is happening now. By the time Teensy-LC releases next month, nearly all the libraries should be working.

Of course, some stuff from Teensy 3.1 can never work on Teensy-LC.

The OctoWS2811 sketches that use large blocks of RAM for LED frame buffers can never work on any chip without that much RAM.

Many of the synthesis and filters and effects in the audio library will never run on the Cortex-M0+ processor, which lacks the special DSP extensions needed to do advanced real-time audio processing.

Some combinations of libraries, which don't ever work together on any official Arduino boards, but do work together on Teensy 3.1 due to its 12 hardware timers, may not be able to work together on Teensy-LC, because it has only 7 timers. In particular, many things use IntervalTimer (eg, tone(), VirtualWire, NewPing, RadioHead, SoftPWM, etc). On Teensy 3.1, you can use 4 IntervalTimer-based libraries together. On Teensy-LC, the hardware only has 2 of those timers, so only 2 libraries using IntervalTimer can work simultaneously.

Is compatible with this example of many axis joystick of teensy 3.1?

That should work, but it hasn't been tested yet.

If it doesn't work (but the code does work on 3.1), let me know and I'll fix it. The USB port is identical, so if there's anything wrong, it'll probably be very minor stuff.

Last edited:
Mostly, yes. Beta testing and porting of libraries is happening now. By the time Teensy-LC releases next month, nearly all the libraries should be working.

Of course, some stuff from Teensy 3.1 can never work on Teensy-LC.

The OctoWS2811 sketches that use large blocks of RAM for LED frame buffers can never work on any chip without that much RAM.

Many of the synthesis and filters and effects in the audio library will never run on the Cortex-M0+ processor, which lacks the special DSP extensions needed to do advanced real-time audio processing.

Some combinations of libraries, which don't ever work together on any official Arduino boards, but do work together on Teensy 3.1 due to its 12 hardware timers, may not be able to work together on Teensy-LC, because it has only 7 timers. In particular, many things use IntervalTimer (eg, tone(), VirtualWire, NewPing, RadioHead, SoftPWM, etc). On Teensy 3.1, you can use 4 IntervalTimer-based libraries together. On Teensy-LC, the hardware only has 2 of those timers, so only 2 libraries using IntervalTimer can work simultaneously.

That should work, but it hasn't been tested yet.

If it doesn't work (but the code does work on 3.1), let me know and I'll fix it. The USB port is identical, so if there's anything wrong, it'll probably be very minor stuff.

I would expect RadioHead to work for the LC as it does run on Teensy 3.x and AVRs. It uses no dedicated timer, just millis() for delays and one pin for external interrupt. And it uses a Teensyduino compatible SPI interface. RadioHead does not use much RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back