Arduino 1.6.0 - any plans to support it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOOD_Win7x64: 1.21-beta6 - installed! Uploaded RenerateRandomNumbers and HelloSerialMonitor successfully - both sketches open (minor mods added blink).

@Paul:: re Teensy.exe Splash Message: When "Press Button To Activate" not needed can you indicate what Com# the connected Teensy is on: "Teensy ready Com27" [OS dependent?] [Only valid when USB active?] [Would help with User Port Selection]- or just "Teensy Ready" or "Teensy Active" [Depending on what is known].

Closed Serial Monitor - and swapped Teensy 3.1 and Old was Com27 new Com25 - for some reason IDE shows Port COM26 static - but the IDE was closed fresh during Teensyduino? Not sure why I have an orphaned port, but picking the right one works and each device returns to the same number.

Twice I pushed upload seeing this in IDE : "tools=C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino/hardware/tools -board=TEENSY31 -reboot" - but had to press UPLOAD a second time, no longer repeats?

I have pushed button over a dozen times and SMonitor resumed.
Re-Plugged teensy to SAME teensy and the SMonitor restarts great.
Jump between two open IDE with different SMonitor sketches and they trade off seamlessly and restart SMonitor after Upload.

Swap Teensy 'a' to 'b' unit with active SMonitor [results in new Com##]::
1st Time:: my IDE HUNG, 10-20+ seconds, it did come back and I could close SMonitor and I could pick the COM27 and it went to working, still showing the ghost Com26.
2nd Time:: No IDE hang, but closing orphaned SMonitor, then changing port did not work. got ORANGE error spew in IDE - closed both IDE's.
-- and got error dialog not opening IDE - but then IDE opened - I've seen this before with Digispark - causes no issue in the end
Restart IDE re-opened, have ghost Com26, pick Com25 and it runs SMonitor

But it seems usable as long as SMonitor closed before swapping Teensy units.

EDIT: BlinkWithoutDelay works on my v3.1: Upload, Button Push. SMonitor left open, return to Random Sketch and SMonitor reconnected!

Last edited:
I have a sketch which prints the entire text of Shakespear's Macbeth, ten times a second, and letting that run for several hours....

Now that's software testing in style! :)

I did all my testing with only this.

Code:
  Serial.print(" count = ");
  Serial.println(count++);

Hi,
switched today to 1.6.0 with 1.21-beta6 on OSX Yosemite. Actual project compile and runs with a few more warnings. (from libraries too)

What i observe with teensy 3.0: No matter which speed i compile and install, the status (lower left edge of window) shows always
"Teensy 3.0, Serial, 96MHz (overclock) US English on COM1"
Real settings this moment:
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-18 um 21.52.33.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-18 um 21.54.09.png
But: working!

Yes, it seems that changing CPU and COM port is reflected instantly in the status bar but changing clock speed, USB type, or keyboard type does not update the status bar unless you exit and restart the Arduino IDE.

I also notice that your interface is a mix of German and English (mostly the latter).

and the build shows german texts too.. hm.. personally, i like english more for this kind of messages..:)
Image2.png

Last edited:
What i observe with teensy 3.0: No matter which speed i compile and install, the status (lower left edge of window) shows always
"Teensy 3.0, Serial, 96MHz (overclock) US English on COM1"

Yep, that's a bug. Harmless, but still a bug.

This one is going on my low priority list, but I will eventually fix it.

@Frank
Use this to start arduino
Code:
LANG='en_US' arduino
See 'locale' or 'man locale' for finer control

Two Teensy 3.1's on Win7 - can't alternate between them by choosing port in IDE? TeensyD just picks one. This would be nice to have the Splash show the connect info like on the IDE. Can TeensyD alternate between two active?

It was noted the IDE on Upload will feed RTC on Upload - interested to see that - not seeing in 2nd beta.

Is there a way to connect two Teensy USB units and monitor both their output? Tried MegunoLink Pro (may need to reboot) - but I could only Monitor one of two Teensy's - also of course it loses it on 'button' press.

Is there a defined expected case for 'Button Double Click'? I've not seen it documented - but in various ways I've found single click stops my 'blink' - then a quick double-tap and it comes back. On Win 7 and also on my OTG phone: If I click button blink goes dark, if I 'double click' it goes back to USB connect, maybe it is a fast click?

Somehow collecting the stuff above - put my 2nd connected teensy in a weird state? (during the dual connect programming?) Light toggles with a fast click?
I got this IDE message: "Please press the RESET BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch. Auto-reboot only works if the Teensy is running a previous sketch." I attached the TeensyD verbose log data just in case - from then and a couple uploads and button pushes I switched sketch to HelloSerial variant and it is back running. Not sure if the attached sketch involved is important - it is the Generate_Random_Numbers with minor edits for blink.
View attachment log_Msg83.txtView attachment T_Generate_Random_Numbers.ino

*Not sure if any of this is new behavior, my first use was just after I downloaded 1st Beta for 1.6.0- it is how I see myself trying to use it on Windows programming two units - 1st Teensy base and 2nd running around - will have nRF - but until that works I'll be editing both and debugging both ends. If there are tools or use cases for this I didn't come across them yet. Of course the IDE can only do Serial Monitor to one device? I did find this thread on Multi Teensy's 26383-Programming-Multiple-Teensy-s - but that doesn't seem definitive. It refers to Atmel Studio/Visual Micro I have a version of this dropped on, but never used, that needs updated. Do I need to switch my IDE?

@Paul
Thanks for the "how to pass a value through the linker code".
I have been thinking about the RTC problem. As most RTC clocks go way back in time when unpowered. Isn't simply a matter or reading the RTC time and if the RTC time is smaller than the value given by the linker=> update the RTC by the value given by the linker else keep the RTC time?
Best regards
Jantje

Hello Jantje, I may have missed it, but is your eclipse plugin available? I apologize if it's in the forum somewhere. I'd love to be able to use both. But I don't see it in the Eclipse Marketplace for Luna or somewhere in this forum.

Hello Jantje, I may have missed it, but is your eclipse plugin available? I apologize if it's in the forum somewhere. I'd love to be able to use both. But I don't see it in the Eclipse Marketplace for Luna or somewhere in this forum.
yes it is
it is on the eclipse market place http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/arduino-eclipse-ide
But for it to work with the latest version of teensy you need to have the nightly build.
Go here http://eclipse.baeyens.it/ select install->nightly builds->your os
Take the version of 15 feb 2015 or later.
Don't forget to configure the plugin otherwise it wont work. Look at the install section (V2 product and configure)
Best regards
Jantje

Hey Mike,

I had that issue too.. It is because for some reason, Arduino puts the folder in programs files(86) directory where Windows 7 (64 bit) locks out any modifications or changes.

What I did is moved the install to C:arduino and all will work lots better. Arduino IDE 1.6.0 install

Wayne

If you are installed in a protected area, what I normally do, is to open the folder that the Teensyduino was downloaded to, right click on it and "Run as Administrator"

I had that issue too.. It is because for some reason, Arduino puts the folder in programs files(86) directory where Windows 7 (64 bit) locks out any modifications or changes.

Use the Arduino zipfile rather than the Arduino installer. Then you can put it where you like, have multiple copies available, and not risk having Windows run the wrong one by mistake. Mine are in D:\Arduino\

Yep - I go both ways. I normally leave my default Arduino install as where the system installer wants it.
Again not a big deal, when I download teensyduino, when it is downloaded, I drop down the list, right click open containing folder, when folder opens, right click and run as administrator, and say yes when system alert comes up...

Currently for Arduino 1.6 (and 1.58, and 1.53 Intel build 1.04, mpide-0023-windows-...) I install at root of drive (c:\), so I have c:\Arduino-1.6.0.
But that is sort of a PITA as well as after you launch Teensyduino, you have to do some extra mouse clicks to find this directory...

So for me it is sort of a wash. And if I have to do this maybe on average once a month...

Alternatively the Installer could be updated to always run as administrator...

Just tried Arduino 1.6.0 and Teensyduino 1.21-beta6 with latest versions of what I am working on and everything seems to work well. I used the latest versions I have of the following libraries without issue:

#include <SPI.h>
#include <RA8875.h> // Sumotoy's library
#include <SdFat.h> // For ArduinoOutStream
#include <Wire.h>
#include <FT5x06.h>

I don't really use the USB serial and tend to use hardware serial for all my projects so I have not tested anything there.

I've used the installer and tell it to go into my Documents\Arduino. Much easier to navigate and store sketches etc. that way in the same place.

To use it where it is you can go once to that directory, Right Click / Properties then Advanced and select 'Run as Administrator'. If that option isn't visible then Right Click drag to same folder and 'Create Shortcut' and perform that on the shortcut. If you already have a shortcut you can do the Advanced setting on that shortcut and you'll always be prompted for ADMIN on startup.

A small update from my site.
I have been using teensyduino 2.1 with my arduino eclipse plugin (nightly build!!) using upload and serial monitor. There are some shortcommings in my plugin but all in all it works pretty smooth.
I'll fix the issues but I have other priorities right now.
Issue 1 is: The upload wants to reset the teensy using a DTR toggle (as it fails a popup is shown. I set a unused port that doesn't mind the toggle)
Issue 2 is: When using the serial monitor to the teensy and doing a upload the serial monitor does not properly recover.

I'm using I2C Servo and TLC5940.
The later does give some issues but I think it is related to my setup.
Best regards
Jantje

I have a RAW HID sketch that works great on my Teensy 3.1, but I just tried compiling it for my just-arrived Teensy 2.0 and I get an error that seems to be located on the line where the RAW HID code is loaded.

Code:
Arduino: 1.6.0 (Mac OS X), TD: 1.21-beta6, Board: "Teensy 2.0, Raw HID, 16 MHz, US English"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
Using library SPI in folder: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI (legacy)

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=c++0x -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/tcpoke_teensy.cpp -o /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/tcpoke_teensy.cpp.o 
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=c++0x -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI/utility /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries/SPI/SPI.cpp -o /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/SPI/SPI.cpp.o 
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy/WInterrupts.c -o /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/WInterrupts.c.o 
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy/keylayouts.c -o /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/keylayouts.c.o 
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy/malloc.c -o /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/malloc.c.o 
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy/pins_teensy.c -o /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/pins_teensy.c.o 
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy/usb.c -o /var/folders/zw/1f5pqmrs0p3c_ndn3l3kw1140000gn/T/build6112228566332300163.tmp/usb.c.o 
In file included from /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/teensy/avr/cores/teensy/usb.c:12:0:
Error compiling.

This happens even in an empty sketch, as soon as I select RAW HID, any of the other modes that I tried compile fine.

Last edited:
Confirming that an empty sketch with RAW HID selected fails to compile for Teensy 2.0. Note that it does compile for Teensy++ 2.0 (and for Teensy 3.0, 3.1, and LC).
Arduino 1.6.0, Teensyduino 1.21-beta6, Win 7/64

Code:
Arduino: 1.6.0 (Windows 7), TD: 1.21-beta6, Board: "Teensy 2.0, Raw HID, 16 MHz, US English"

Build options changed, rebuilding all

D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=c++0x -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -ID:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\sketch_feb24a.cpp -o C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\sketch_feb24a.cpp.o 

D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -ID:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\keylayouts.c -o C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\keylayouts.c.o 

D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -ID:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\malloc.c -o C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\malloc.c.o 

D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -ID:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\pins_teensy.c -o C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\pins_teensy.c.o 

D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=atmega32u4 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_RAWHID -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -ID:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\usb.c -o C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\usb.c.o 

In file included from D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\usb.c:12:0:
Error compiling.

where the empty sketch is
Code:
void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

For Teensy++ 2.0, the same usb.c compiles (with two warnings):
Code:
D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=at90usb1286 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -ID:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\pins_teensy.c -o C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\pins_teensy.c.o 
D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -mmcu=at90usb1286 -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -ID:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\usb.c -o C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\build2365509861801568582.tmp\usb.c.o 
In file included from D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\usb.c:2:0:
D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\../usb_serial/usb.c: In function '__vector_11':
D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\../usb_serial/usb.c:491:4: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]
    if (*(long *)cdc_line_coding == 134L) reboot_timer = 15;
    ^
D:\Arduino\arduino-1.6.0-td121b6\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy\../usb_serial/usb.c:492:4: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]
    if (*(long *)cdc_line_coding == 150L) {
    ^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back