Arduino 1.6.0 - any plans to support it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sorry, your ST7735 patches arrived as I was well into the testing phase. I really had to get beta9 out as soon as possible, so I didn't merge anything else after late last week.

I'll get to this and other stuff pretty soon and hopefully get it all in before beta10 and/or the final 1.21 release.

Pretty soon will be the cut-off point for 1.21. The plan is to start shipping Teensy-LC on Thursday, so I really want to get 1.21 fully released by Friday.

The Web: I held back comments - I saw a note by @MichaelM and didn't pile on - but you asked. For the one message I noted 'not readable' became 'not found' or 'Temp File Not found'

Your time is too short for sure - and any real debug effort would be tremendous versus tons of spew in the way and never finding the issue.

I posted a simple library edit: Add GetCursor() ILI9241_t3 on KurtE's thread since he is touching it. It is safe and trivial - but effective as used. Also the speed hit on LC is probably more significant.

MacOS: 10.10.2
If I open the Arduino.app once and then install Teensyduino, it doens't give any message.
If I install Teensyduino first and then open the Arduino.app, I get an error: "Arduino.app is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."
This applies to both Arduino version (java 6 & 7).

I encountered this problem as well. The Arduino app is now code-signed using Apple's code signing. When the Teensy installer modifies the Arduino app, it does not remove the old code signature or re-sign the app, so OS X 10.7 and later will refuse to run it.

Beginning with 10.7, you can't modify other people's apps any more as a security precaution. Nearly all OS X apps are now code-signed, and part of the point of code signing is to make sure an app hasn't been tampered with.

I was able to fix the problem because I'm an Apple dev and I have a code signing certificate, so I ran the Teensy installer, then re-signed the modified Arduino app with Apple's codesign tool. But for folks without an app signing cert, that obviously won't work.

The short-term solution might be for the OS X Teensy installer to strip the code signature from the Arduino app after modifying it. The long-term solution is to move to some other way to do things, that doesn't involve modifying the existing app.

@PaulStoffregen
Hello

how much beta is the Arduino 1.6 version ?
seems the version is 1.21 from your post
Yesterday, 04:13 PM
when we can expect a release for Arduino 1.6 ?

thx wally

Last edited:
The long-term solution is to move to some other way to do things, that doesn't involve modifying the existing app.

Yes, a different approach is needed.

Until late in 10.9, Mac OS-X supported a flexible signature scheme. Back in 10.7.x, I believe it was the only way. Teensyduino installed a new signature that excluded all the modified file.

Somewhere around 10.9.5 and then in 10.10.x, Apple added a 2nd version of code signing that disallows the original regex-based approach that allowed specifying which files had to be signed. The new way requires all files signed.

Perhaps Apple mentioned this somewhere to developers, but it came as a pretty sudden surprise to me. I will admit, I only paid their $99 fee once, to get the code signing cert (which seems to last for 5 years), but the "membership" probably expired after 1 year.

@PaulStoffregen
how much beta is the above version ?
when we can expect a release ?

It's pretty solid, starting with beta6. I know installing anything labeled "beta" feels risky. There've been a lot of "test" and "beta" copies, since we've moved to a newer toolchain (the first 4 "test" versions starting a couple months ago) and Arduino finally released 1.6.0 a few weeks ago (after 2+ years of development), and Teensy-LC is releasing this week.

I'm planning for a final 1.21 release on Friday. It might slip into the weekend, but I absolutely do intend to wrap up 1.21 no later than Sunday evening.

At this late stage, only low-risk stuff is going in... mostly minor fixes and library updates.

Maybe move to Release Candidate - RC1 - to take the B-sting off. I've been seeing no problems or issues in my efforts and repeated uploads to a Teensy 3.1 (using 9DOF and ILI9341 display, constant USB spew, FFT code usage). I started on the Beta with first Teensy usage and I see it as a stable platform compared to others I've used.

Paul: I am using a MP4091 analog mic breakout (SFUN). I was using sinewave input to FFT and it was solid, now this device. My FFT is not as sensible - and I need to debug it.
Question:
> Once I enable the Audio library to get me an FFT it seems I cannot read adc1(A6) myself?
> Can I common wire that out put to a second A# and read it from another point and expect uncorrupted readings?
> My issue is I am seeing intermittent noise and don't trust my sensor, at a point the low end FFT values seem to set at a point and keep it across sample periods.

As a side note, I suspect I know what the answer is, but is there any chance of support for Teensy 1.0/1.0++ in Arduino 1.6.x? I am using the newest Arduino software but also still have several Teensy 1.0 boards, and as a result I have to keep several versions of the Arduino software around, since the newest releases of the Teensy software don't support the Teensy 1.0.

Teensy 1.0 support was discontinued long ago. It's never coming back.

I am using the newest Arduino software but also still have several Teensy 1.0 boards

Please contact Robin directly with info she can use to look up your original purchase. The original confirmation email, or invoice, or the shipping or billing address, or maybe even the email address you used and approximate date you ordered the boards can be used to find those old orders.

If we can look up your original order, we'll be happy to replace those unsupported boards with either Teensy 2.0 or Teensy-LC.

Paul, the releases are coming out so fast it is hard to do much testing on them.
I did find an issue in the bet10 just released.
Not sure if it is specific to an OS environment, but I'm using Linux Mint 13, Mate 32 bit.

When installing and you get to the section where you can select which libraries you want,
there is some kind of issue related to marking the check box in that some times the
check does not show up even though the library has been selected.
If you move the scroll bar, or lower the window and raise it back up,
the check will show up.
There seems to be some sort of refresh issue in that scroll area.

Here is a sequence that reproduces the issue:
run the installer and select your install library and click next.
When the "Libraries to Install" dialog comes up,
neither the "All" nor the "None" radial is selected.
(Since no libraries are currently selected, seems like none should be selected since
none gets selected when you manually uncheck the last checked library)

Now left click on the scroll bar and slide it all the way down
to the bottom.
Now left click on "Xbee"
The Xbee information with the photo will show up on the right
but the check is not in the check box.
If you click on Xbee again, "None" radial will get set,
click on Xbee again, and "None" will clear.
now if you left click on the scroll bar and move it the check mark will show up.
Also if another window is selected, or the window is lowered and raised the
check mark will show up.

BTW,
I didn't see openGLCD in the beta10 release.
Is there anything I need to do?

--- bill

So here is another oddity with 1.21b10

The IDE appears to be scanning the user sketchbook libraries more times than it used to.

When I change boards and the target is a teensy board, the IDE scans the user sketchbook "libraries"
directory 4 times.
When the target is say an "uno" it only scans the user sketchbook "libraries" once.

When starting up the IDE, if the last target board is a teensy board, the IDE scans the user sketchbook
"libraries" 8 times vs if it is a say an "uno" it scans the user sketchbook libraries 2 times.

It seems like at startup there is a double scan over the normal sequence.
But the real question is why is there so many scans for Teensy boards?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the header file to library matching stuff
that we have been sparring over offline.

The older releases didn't do as many scans.
With 1.20 on Arduino 1.0.6 and with 1.21b6 on Arduino 1.0.6, when you change between teensy boards, there doesn't seem to be any scans
whereas on 1.21b10 on Arduino 1.6.0 there are 4 scans.
When 1.21b6 on Arduino 1.0.6 starts up there is only a single scan vs 2 scans on 1.21b10 on Arduino 1.6.0
when the last board was a non teensy board and 8 scans when it was a teensy board.

The reason that I notice this is that I have to create a sub directory in my {usersketchbook}/libraries
directory to hold libraries whose authors don't create a directory in their repo that matches the arduino tree structure.
In the actual "libraries" directory there is a symlink points to proper location over under the subdirectory.
This allows a cloned/checked-out repo to be used in the usersketchbook when the repo tree is different.
There is no way to work around this - there was long discussion about this either on the forum or on the developer list (can't remember)

The only side effect is that the IDE will post a warning/error "Ignoring bad library name" dialog
when it sees the subdirectory with the repos in it since
that directory is not a "normal" Arduino library directory.
So I see the error/warning each time the IDE scans the user sketchbook directory.

It is a pain to have click on 8 dialogs when the IDE starts up.

What changed, and is there a better way to handle whatever is causing the additional library scans.

--- bill

Issue loading on a windows machine With Arduino 1.6.1

When installing, it asks to locate the Ardunio.exe file. When I navigate to the folder nothing happens. When I click on the "?" button I found the following

"Java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" wrong size, unsupported Arduino version"

I installed 1.6.1 from the zip image on a fresh install of Windows 10 tech preview.
When I ran the 1.21b10 installer, it installed the serial drivers.
When I navigated over to the 1.6.1 directory, it reported a list of matching things it was looking for
and then it reported a missing 1.6.1 arduino.exe and incorrect 1.6.1 checksum and then an unsupported version.

I went and tried 1.21b10 on 1.6.1 on linux and that worked ok.

When I cam back to the windows machine and re-ran the installer again, it worked
and is now working.
Not sure what originally happened but perhaps it was due to the drivers being installed.

--- bill

I just installed 1.6.1 on Win7 64 bit, which worked OK, and then tried to install beta10 but no go:

Code:
 Checking Arduino 1.6.1:
    file: "arduino.exe"  present
    file: "arduino_debug.exe"  present
    file: "lib/jssc-2.8.0.jar"  present
    file: "hardware/arduino/avr/boards.txt"  present
    file: "hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt"  present
    dir: "hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino"  present
    file: "hardware/arduino/sam/boards.txt"  present
    file: "hardware/arduino/sam/platform.txt"  present
    dir: "hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1"  present
    dir: "libraries"  present
    dir: "examples"  present
    java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" wrong size, unsupported Arduino version
    Does not match Arduino 1.6.1

UPDATE: I rebooted, uninstalled and re-installed 1.6.1 but same result. So I went back to Arduino 1.6.0 and then was able to install Teensyduino beta 10.

UPDATE2: I had used the installer. But I just realized, the Arduino 1.6.1 Windows installer (.exe) is much different from the Windows .zip file. The zip file is more than twice as large (209 MB vs 102 MB), and it unzips to 629 MB. The people reporting success with -beta10 used the zip file.

Last edited:
I did a fresh unzip of 1.6.1 and then installed 1.21-beta10 - changed the board to Teensy_3.1 and did a few bare board examples no problem.

Plugged in 2nd (at same time) Teensy 3.1 on Win7x64 and it works well, whichever one the port is chosen for is programmed - no question and no button needed. If you change USB port an open Serial Monitor is closed on old port. Whichever one you 'button' however gets the last program uploaded without question.

Good News?: On Beta 10 I am getting decent/usable behavior from my Analog mic now running _FFT_256 (or PJRC 1024) code? Not sure if there was un/known issue - but in a quiet room it isn't pushing unceasing noise in the low end like I was seeing earlier today on Beta_9.

And my 9DOF is working with the PJRC display, and the ILI9341 graphicstest runs normally. My modified Int Timer to blink runs well. All good and usable behavior from IDE and TeensyD: Teensy 3.1 on Win7x64

"Java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" wrong size, unsupported Arduino version"

Can you please try again with a freshly extracted copy of Arduino 1.6.1?

I tested on Windows 7 and it works perfectly here. As you can see, it's worked for others too on Windows.

If it still doesn't work, please give me some more detailed info about your system and the steps your taking, which must be somehow different if it's not working on your Windows but works here and on others. I can't do anything more if it works here and I don't have specific info to recreate the problem you're seeing.

Hello Paul,

I did test your latest version on an freshly unzipped Arduino 1.6.1 on Windows 7, x64 bit Version.
Worked flawlessly.
Did upload the blink example on one of my Teensy 2.0.

The Log file said following:

Directory: C:/Users/User/Desktop/arduino-1.6.1/
Checking Arduino 1.0.5:
file: "arduino.exe" present
file: "rxtxSerial.dll" missing
Does not match Arduino 1.0.5
Checking Arduino 1.0.6:
file: "rxtxSerial.dll" missing
Does not match Arduino 1.0.6
Checking Arduino 1.6.0:
file: "arduino_debug.exe" present
file: "lib/jssc-2.8.0.jar" present
file: "hardware/arduino/avr/boards.txt" present
file: "hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt" present
dir: "hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino" present
file: "hardware/arduino/sam/boards.txt" present
file: "hardware/arduino/sam/platform.txt" present
dir: "hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1" present
dir: "libraries" present
dir: "examples" present
java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" wrong size, unsupported Arduino version
Does not match Arduino 1.6.0
Checking Arduino 1.6.1:
file: "arduino_debug.exe" present
file: "lib/jssc-2.8.0.jar" present
file: "hardware/arduino/avr/boards.txt" present
file: "hardware/arduino/avr/platform.txt" present
dir: "hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino" present
file: "hardware/arduino/sam/boards.txt" present
file: "hardware/arduino/sam/platform.txt" present
dir: "hardware/tools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4.8.3-2014q1" present
dir: "libraries" present
dir: "examples" present
java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Base.class" checksum match
java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Editor.class" checksum match
java: "lib/pde.jar" object: "processing/app/Sketch.class" checksum match
java: "lib/arduino-core.jar" object: "processing/app/BaseNoGui.class" checksum match
java: "lib/arduino-core.jar" object: "processing/app/debug/Compiler.class" checksum match
java: "lib/arduino-core.jar" object: "processing/app/debug/TargetPlatform.class" checksum match
Found Arduino 1.6.1

Regards,

Nico

Hi,

didn't work for me with the Arduino Windows-Installer on Win7-64 Home Prem.

Exchanged the contents of programs(x86)\Arduino with the contents of the zip-File - then beta-10 installed

regards

gecko

Yes, you're right! I just tried the installer on a clean Windows 7 install, and indeed its files are different from the zip file.

It seems they updated their JDK for the zip file to 7u75, but still built the installer with the old 6u27.

I'll make a workaround for this later today....

Confirmed: This version of Teensyduino 1.21 Beta 10 works with Arduino 1.6.1 if extracted from the ZIP file.

I've never compiled my project with the verbose options! I'm appalled that printf("%s text %s", "some text", 3, "more text") compiled without errors in the previous version. (integer argument is unused in format string) This new version flags it as a warning. I think it should be an error. Someday I'll dig into compiler flags, but for now I'll move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back