Newbie question, which Teensy to use???

Status
Not open for further replies.

forlowj

I am collecting all of the electronic parts I need for my first 3d Printer and would like to know which Teensy I should use.
I have already ordered the 3D Printer Controller RAMPS 1.4 for REPRAP MENDEL PRUSA Arduino and the stepper controllers (A4988 StepStick Stepper Motor Driver Module + Heat Sink for 3D Printer Reprap (pack of 5 pcs) )

But I know that I need the Teensy to control it all. So, which one should I use? The 3.0, 3.1, 2.0 or the 2++???

I am still in the build stage of the frame so I have a little time to get the right Teensy.
I will have x,y, and z (may add a second z later)
one extruder (may add a second later)
I know that the RAMPS 1.4 can handle all of this already, but what controls it?

Thanks for any help you can give.
John

My advice would be to start with your software requirements. The Teensy 3.1 is the fastest with the most memory. The most basic hardware requirement is the voltage level required by your motor drivers. If your software runs well on the Teensy 2++ and 3v outputs won't work for your motor drivers (?) and you really need a few extra pins to avoid I/O expander chips like shift registers, then maybe the 2++ would be the best. Without knowing any of the specs, I'd wildly guess the 3.1 is likely to be the winner because you probably won't need 5v outputs or a few extra I/Os, but you probably will enjoy faster performance and more space for more complex programs.

I will look at the voltage requirements when the RAMPS and stepper drivers arrive.

I am a little confused about how to connect the RAMPS and the Teensy. Wil only need one set of wires to connect the two boards? (a transmit and another for receive?)
Hope that the RAMPS has documentation on this...

A lot of that code, like Marlin, is heavily optimized with lots of hard-coded AVR registers.

You didn't mention exactly which code you're planning to use, but if it's AVR-only code like Marlin, a Teensy++ 2.0 will probably be a much easier path.

A lot of that code, like Marlin, is heavily optimized with lots of hard-coded AVR registers.

You didn't mention exactly which code you're planning to use, but if it's AVR-only code like Marlin, a Teensy++ 2.0 will probably be a much easier path.

Paul --

I had not gotten that far.
I will research Marlin. and probably go that route.

I still have time as I am waiting on the rest of the electronics to arrive.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back