8 teensy one mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinner

if im to hook eight teensy 3.1's up to a mac mini. is there an easy way to address them differently for serial or midi communication?

how do i know which device is which device?

anyone played with serial communication to more than one teensy on a mac? or pc for that matter?

thanks

matt:)

I would suggest you learn how to grab the serial number in each. I "think" each teesny has a unique number that is not overwritten in the firmware when you program it. Then your app will try all the serial ports to determine if 1. they are a device they should be talking to and 2. what the id is for that device. Then you have a map of which port is connected to which device. From there you can determine roles.

If you are setting this up as a midi device then you will need to determine how to send a midi message that will do the same thing. Or if you are using custom software then you can do the custom check and then from there treat it as a midi device.

I know there is such a thing as serial over midi, but I do not know how to set that up. I don't know if it would just be a simple inf file or an actual driver to support that. If there is a simple way to say to the OS that the device is a serial midi device that would be nice. From there you can use standard midi messages to identify the devices.

Your Mac should create /dev/tty.usbmodem##### names for the serial devices, where the number is the unique serial number of each teensy.

For MIDI, things are more challenging. They'll all have the same name. You'll probably need to edit the code to change the name, and program each one carefully with the right name.

The Arduino IDE and Teensy Loader are really designed for 1 board at a time. There's no way to really select which board to auto-reboot when you click Upload. The only reliable way is clicking Verify, and then press the button on the specific Teensy you meant to reprogram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back