smoking t3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxgeek

After pluggin in a teensy 3.1, smoke quickly arose. I immediately unplugged it.
I plugged in another one and again saw smoke, but I unplugged it almost instantly. The 2nd one is fine after using another micro-USB cable. Apparently the first micro-USB cable was bad. The component in between the micro-USB connector and GND was damaged it looks like. Is that a capacitor? Will I likely be able to use it if I supply 5V or 3.3V directly?

Good news - you let the magic smoke out of the one part that really doesn't matter. It's just a ferrite inductor to connect the shield to ground. It really doesn't do anything, except maybe keep high frequency current from flowing through the outside of the cable. Even that is of little value (I've often considered simply replacing that part with a wire).

Oh good. I guess it works well as a fuse. It seemed to take all the damage, it fell off afterwards when I touched it.
The LED light was on the whole time. Took it for likely a second or two. 2nd time I tried it with another teensy (stupid) I was prepared to pull it out. Then I recalled I might have a bad USB cable laying around. Thanks.

Note to self: don't keep micro-USB cable around that's not charging a tablet.

I dunno. I tossed the cable, altho i might be able to grab it still.

I'd have to get a microusb jack to plug it into and test the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back