Teensy Qt

TYQT works well on my mac and windows, but can I check something with you guys? Does the TYQT have to have Arduino and the Teensy Arduino application installed before it can work? I tried it on another MacBook without any Arduino installed, and after connecting a Teensy LC, a "Could not find matching USB Host Controller" error message appears in the log.

Sorry, busy week with the national ECNi test exam week. I just fell asleep on my desk yesterday evening.

I will post, in the next few days, a new build with better error messages and a debug option to get more information about this. After that, the procedure will basically be "run and give me the debug log". I'd also like to find a way to get a text version of the OSX I/O device registry but I don't have a MacBook until I can repair mine (and also, no money at all) and I can't find a ready made command/procedure to get that export on Google.

Oh, by the way, I have definitely seen your issue. I can't spend much time on it right now but I'll try to improve your use case.

Ok, turns out you can export the I/O registry easily. I need the full output of both those commands (with the Teensy plugged in), that should be enough:

Code:
ioreg -p IOUSB -w0 -l
ioreg -p IOService -w0 -l

Last edited:
Thank you for the logs.

I've spent a few hours on this, mostly going through everything I could find on Google on the El Capitan USB changes (many of which are barely documented) and Apple's source code, only to find out that there is apparently a much simpler way to resolve the USB bus number than what my code is doing (and that's where the bug is).

So there's a good chance I can fix it even without testing it on my broken MacBook and it will probably work without any test on my part (with probably redefined as "around 30%" :rolleyes:). You'll have to wait a few days though.

Edit: No there's no reason for Arduino/Teensyduino being there or not to change anything.

Last edited:
I've pushed a potential fix to GitHub, untested IRL because of the reasons I gave earlier. The commit contains 11 additions and 175 deletions, the replacement for the broken code is much simpler so I'm hopeful I haven't screwed it up. And I have kind of tested it with some of the data in your logs so there's that.

You can find the latest build on BinTray (0.7.0-146-ga2b81f5): https://bintray.com/koromix/ty/ty/view#files

By the way the latest Win32 builds are compiled with Visual Studio 2015.

Edit: New build 0.7.0-146-ga2b81f5

Last edited:
I had a 0.7.0 build from jan/2016 which worked (sorry, don't know the exact version) - i updated to the latest today, but this one crashes when uploading.

i'm using windows 10

btw, this tool is great.

I had a 0.7.0 build from jan/2016 which worked (sorry, don't know the exact version) - i updated to the latest today, but this one crashes when uploading.

i'm using windows 10

btw, this tool is great.

The tool is great - I did not pull this code to test on Win 10 yet so I cannot confirm - except to say the tool is great.

Well, one (fixed) bug I can't reproduce/test to the next :)

Could you test TyQt-0.7.0-120-g27bbfd5 please (https://bintray.com/koromix/ty/ty/#files)? It's the last MinGW-built version, I just ported the code to VS2015 so it could be related to that.

Questions to help me investigate:
- Does the crash occur when the upload starts or at the end?
- Does the Teensy continue running or does it stay in bootloader mode?
- Does reset and/or reboot crash too?
- Does it occur with all sketches?

Last edited:
Pulled down the "TyQt-0.7.0-147-g92312a7-win64.zip" for my Win 10 machine.

Did a few uploads no problems, all seems well. Left it run for hours - came back did a couple uploads - no problem.

@FrankB: I pulled that zip file and extracted to <a directory> where I link to run the EXE from on my machine. I unzip to that subdirectory and COPY ALL files to the run directory. I wonder if you have a mismatch of files or something?

<edit>

@FrankB - Before Uploading on a fresh start - You might also try Tools menu item : 'Reset TyQt' or 'Reset Settings & TyQt'. In case you got a setting item saved that is incompatible? Also after the change maybe restart TyQt right away. I never had such issues - and not sure how Koromix saves the actual details - but your settings and versions may have hit something unique - perhaps due to language choice?

Last edited:
It failed after uploading.

hm, perhaps i have to delete my old installation completely (manually) and reboot before i try the new one ?
I re-installed the old one and it works.

I give it a new try next weekend.

oops..@defragster: we have both exactly 1920 posts now..

Last edited:
Frank, you really should consider switching over from Windoof to a true OS... There are some, like OSX, who are also carrying a "10" in their version number, and that for much longer time... ;)

It failed after uploading.

hm, perhaps i have to delete my old installation completely (manually) and reboot before i try the new one ?
I re-installed the old one and it works.

I give it a new try next weekend.

oops..@defragster: we have both exactly 1920 posts now..

And defragster takes the lead . . . ridiculous . . . I've had a life on order, expecting partial delivery April 11th! Time to get busy programming more and posting less :) Over the weekend I actually started three posts that I 'canceled' and another I didn't re-reply to.

FrankB - don't listen to crazy talk :) - Apple is just a lame profit whore (living on iPhone/iPad garbage) that Microsoft shouldn't have saved from bankruptcy - Windows is truly the OS to use - as you know. For TyQT:: Perhaps uninstall and don't do an INSTALL - just unzip to a folder and run from there. I've only ever done that with TyQt and for the last year with Arduino as well and TyQt has never had troubles for me like you saw, again I can only guess it relates to the new 'stored persistent settings'. The IDE was problematic with 'cross talk' of installs on Windows because they don't have a good multi OS model like Koromix uses that can actually navigate menus with keys!

@Koromix: My Windows 10 TyQt still up and running - Two Teensy's active and doing uploads just fine. To be honest one is a onehorse made custom 'Teensy' and I did have a bit of an issue that I assumed was unique to that board as it is powering an ESP8266 module that showed some oddity before unlike all the T_3.2's I've had similar modules on. It didn't crash but resulted in these errors reported in the 'TyQt-0.7.0-147' log - it showed as USB issues and the device going offline needing reset and re-power but has worked the last 5+ uploads:

A task is already running for board 'PPT_3.2_T_FC'

Last edited:
WTF ?
Thierry, was your post in the moderation-queue ? I could'nt (or didn't?) see it, and got the email-notification right now?
Is the word "Windoof" (german joke) on the blacklist ? :)

I use LUBUNTU as second system, at the moment. It is faster than WIN10, (..and it is a VM running in WIN 10 :)

My Wife uses a MACBOOK.
(Ich vermeide es anzufassen, der Ärger fängt schon mit dieser Maus (ich meine die für den Computer <g>) an, die genau andersherum funktioniert..)

Last edited:
FrankB - Good luck with the new version of TyQt.

Yes. It increases sales of many technicians.... :)

Same for automobiles - but it's the likes of Porsche, Mercedes and BMW charge big bucks on the scale of apple.

If only there weren't parts of whole countries working 24/7 to make people fall for stupid abuse.

. . . MS-DOS /MS-Windows bought me a nice house . . . and that tech work now pays the taxes on my nice house . . . :)

I've pushed some code to Github to implement a Preferences dialog, the main point is a setting "maxTasks" to make multi-upload/reset/reboot easier on hubs and HCDs (this was requested months ago by mail), especially crappy ones. There's also an easy way to the access the debug log (which ATM is mostly relevant to the Win32 version, the other ones don't print much debug stuff at all).

While doing that I exposed a bug in the Win32 code, introduced recently (after 0.7.0) which I think is probably related to the bug Frank (crashes) and defragster ("A task is already running" bug) have been experiencing. So hopefully it is fixed now :)

Latest builds: https://bintray.com/koromix/ty/ty/view#files

TYQT on my Win10 machine now runs and stalls the Serial output - then restarts. I just put on .175. and 160 was doing it too.

Something else is odd - so I unhooked TYQT from the IDE - no change. The IDE is showing full speed scrolling text.

But TYQT display goes FREE RUNNING - Full Speed - during the IDE compile?????

Interesting, could you send me a sketch that does this? Does it happen with -120- or 0.7.0 (if you have time to test)?

Back