Teensy Qt

Sorry for the long delay of my answer! In the last week I was busy with a lot of testing and try-and-error regarding the problems we discussed above.

Still, you might want to try the Teensy Loader on the server, to see if it gets the same kind of failure. You don't need to install arduino, just extract the Arduino archive, and run the Teensyduino installer on it. And then use the IDE to reboot.

I tried the Teensy Loader as you suggested and it didn't work as well. So I started a big search for the cause of the problems because on some computers with Ubuntu 16.04 Teensy QT worked without any problems and others it doesn't. I ended up using wireshark for directly dubugging (and comparing) the commands which where send on the USB connection but (unfortunately) I couldn't find anything. Everything seems to be good and exactly as intended. Then I installed Debian 8 on the server computer and everything worked fine from the beginning. So I think the cause of the problems was/is some weird combination of Ubuntu 16.04 and the hardware of the server computer.

Maybe this is information could help someone facing the same problems and maybe someone will find the cause for the problems eventually. For me the solution with Debain on server is perfectly fine and I'm happy that Teensy QT is now working.

Again, thank you very much for your help! Really great support here!! :)

Last edited:
Very interesting, thanks for the report. I'm really interested in finding out where it comes from (when I have more time), could you tell me what kind of hardware is running on this server, or any of the computer where it fails? Did you use a fully updated Ubuntu distribution, what kernel version was it using?

Again, sorry for the late reply!

Very interesting, thanks for the report. I'm really interested in finding out where it comes from (when I have more time), could you tell me what kind of hardware is running on this server, or any of the computer where it fails? Did you use a fully updated Ubuntu distribution, what kernel version was it using?

I have checked the hardware and software of the server pc and it is/was the following:

Computer: HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Motherboard: HP 531990-001 (maybe interessting for the USB-controller)
CPU: Intel Core i5 650
RAM: 4 GB
Kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic

I hope that helps you. If you need more information just let me know.

FYI - the last TYQT I got from the file drop is working well with the new Teensy 3.6 and 3.5 with IDE 1.6.12 and the TD_1.30/1_1.31b1 builds to Integrate to Arduino as the bootloader and Serial Monitor!

Just a reminder on behavior to expect - if TYQT not 'Integrated' using TeensyLoader with TYQT attaching for Serial Monitor the button will have to be pushed ( or TYQT GUI Bootloader button ) to allow TeensyLoader to control and program the Teensy.

Whoa... this is fantastic! I have a few LED displays running off multiple Teensy 3.2's which are sealed up in the case... it was SUCH a pain to update firmware until I found this :)

The latest version of TyQt, TyQt-0.7.5-210-g00e62b8-win32.zip, is now being flagged by Avast as Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] while trying to download. The problem goes back as far as TyQt-0.7.5-203-gdcffbc1-win32.zip. However, version TyQt-0.7.6-win32.zip is OK. Avast also flagged 7Zip1603-x64.exe with the same problem when trying to execute. I submitted that one as a false positive.

Sorry for the delay, I moved to a new city and things are finally settling down. And now I got a nice 100 Mbps down / 100 Mbps up fiber connection, which is always nice!

Again, sorry for the late reply!

I have checked the hardware and software of the server pc and it is/was the following:

Computer: HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Motherboard: HP 531990-001 (maybe interessting for the USB-controller)
CPU: Intel Core i5 650
RAM: 4 GB
Kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic

I hope that helps you. If you need more information just let me know.

Thanks for the information. I don't have much time to look into it right now, but later on I hope to. You posted this message almost three weeks ago so obviously, I've blown way past any delay that came from you :)

FYI - the last TYQT I got from the file drop is working well with the new Teensy 3.6 and 3.5 with IDE 1.6.12 and the TD_1.30/1_1.31b1 builds to Integrate to Arduino as the bootloader and Serial Monitor!

I have not received any bug report so I guess things are going fine. I really need to release TyQt 0.8.0 soon.

Whoa... this is fantastic! I have a few LED displays running off multiple Teensy 3.2's which are sealed up in the case... it was SUCH a pain to update firmware until I found this :)

Glad it helps!

The latest version of TyQt, TyQt-0.7.5-210-g00e62b8-win32.zip, is now being flagged by Avast as Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] while trying to download. The problem goes back as far as TyQt-0.7.5-203-gdcffbc1-win32.zip. However, version TyQt-0.7.6-win32.zip is OK. Avast also flagged 7Zip1603-x64.exe with the same problem when trying to execute. I submitted that one as a false positive.

Thanks for the information. It appears to be the ZIP file only because the binaries don't trigger Avast. I've also submitted it, just in case, and apparently it'll be fixed in the next Avast update.

I'm quite new to teensy and trying to change over from teensyduino to TyQt. I've started installing TyQt on Windows-10 64 bit using info on @koromix's GitHub page. I've downloaded ty-master, TyQt-0.7.6-win64 and qt-unified-windows-x86-2.0.3-1-online.

I ran the qt installer but down-selected to just QT creator and latest version of minGW (5.3.0 from memory).

I've opened FindEasyQt5.cmake from within Qt creator and now ... I'm trying to work out next steps :confused:

I understand the basics of building software but this is outside my normal playground experience so a little guidance at this point would be great ...

TIA

Qt creator-1.JPG

Last edited:
I have just released TyQt 0.8.0. It supports the new Teensy boards and fixes some long-standing issues regarding device enumeration on Windows, such as invisible Teensies on some USB 3.0 host controllers. You can find the binaries and a (more or less) complete changelog on GitHub: https://github.com/Koromix/ty/releases/tag/v0.8.0.

I'm quite new to teensy and trying to change over from teensyduino to TyQt. I've started installing TyQt on Windows-10 64 bit using info on @koromix's GitHub page. I've downloaded ty-master, TyQt-0.7.6-win64 and qt-unified-windows-x86-2.0.3-1-online.

You don't need any of that to use TyQt. Just download the latest release from https://github.com/Koromix/ty/releases.

ALL GOOD :: Downloaded 0.8.0 - installed after TD_1.13b3 - re-Integrated to Arduino 1.6.11 - On Windows 10x64

The Teensy connect to Serial is now typically UNDER 1 SECOND - near 800ms! 750-975 ms on T_3.6 and T_3.0 - this is about 1 second faster than the 0.7.5 version!

Last edited:
The "Send File" option is great. Can you add "Receive File", too ?
Can you write a Sketch with a Menu ( with VT100, later..) , that manages the files on a FLASH-Chip (and eeprom+SD, too?)
(Then, a option to flash a fixed hex-file with this sketch would great)

It would be better than "TeensyTransfer", a GUI is always nicer!

Last edited:
Great update! - putting these notes away from my complement above.

Preferences pages shows a "?" on title bar that doesn't help anything?

Until I saw the 'change' list I didn't know TYQT saved a log file - Cool!
> No easy way to open Windows file shown on 'Options':: "C:\Users\urname\AppData\Local\Temp\TyQt-2272540-Teensy-2.txt"
- and '/' slashes shown are backwards for windows
- could be a 'right' click option on each device to get path of file on clipboard?
> When is it updated? I opened and closed TYQT and the number cycles {1, 2, 3} but looking - all are still written last month, not today?

You don't need any of that to use TyQt. Just download the latest release from https://github.com/Koromix/ty/releases.

OK this time I ignored the instructions for Windows at bottom of that page and it's working fine, thanks

One small issue : on the IDE Serial monitor I can print the degree symbol ° = char(176), but TyQt Serial must be using a different character set to the IDE as it dooesn't recognise that symbol ?

The "Send File" option is great. Can you add "Receive File", too ?
Can you write a Sketch with a Menu ( with VT100, later..) , that manages the files on a FLASH-Chip (and eeprom+SD, too?)
(Then, a option to flash a fixed hex-file with this sketch would great)

It would be better than "TeensyTransfer", a GUI is always nicer!

I'd like to add something like that. When I have some time it could make a nice addition to TyQt.

Preferences pages shows a "?" on title bar that doesn't help anything?

Until I saw the 'change' list I didn't know TYQT saved a log file - Cool!
> No easy way to open Windows file shown on 'Options':: "C:\Users\urname\AppData\Local\Temp\TyQt-2272540-Teensy-2.txt"
- and '/' slashes shown are backwards for windows
- could be a 'right' click option on each device to get path of file on clipboard?
> When is it updated? I opened and closed TYQT and the number cycles {1, 2, 3} but looking - all are still written last month, not today?

The log files are written to as soon as something comes up on the USB serial. I'll fix the two small UI problems you noted. The serial log needs work but I did not want to delay 0.8.0 forever, unfortunately I don't have much time to spend on TyQt right now.

One small issue : on the IDE Serial monitor I can print the degree symbol ° = char(176), but TyQt Serial must be using a different character set to the IDE as it dooesn't recognise that symbol ?

By default TyQt uses UTF-8 but you can change it in the Options tab. Arduino probably uses windows-1252 or ISO-8859-1.

I saw that char set on options tab - for a moment I thought I could change the font to a fixed pitch :(

Glad you got moved and have good internet speed! 100Mbit would be cool. Good luck with your new situation and finding time to keep TYQT running and making it ever more AWESOME!!!!

By default TyQt uses UTF-8 but you can change it in the Options tab. Arduino probably uses windows-1252 or ISO-8859-1.

Both of those work - nice :)

PS: I like the way the slider works in Serial: progresses if at bottom/latest, but halts when slid up. neat.

Last edited:
Another TYQT TIP / Complement to Koromix!

Of course one can open a New Window for each Teensy with Ctrl+N

And Ctrl+H will HIDE the left pane and shrink buttons and hide Menu to get more room for more Text on screen

THE COOL NEW THING I JUST FOUND - Maybe just added:

Ctrl+Tab will switch the selected Teensy device! This always works when multiple Teensys are active.

Nice when you do a Ctrl+H - but want to swap displayed Teensy without Alt+Tab to a new window!

There is also the Cool upper right corner Drop Down list of Teensy's when in Ctrl+H view - but that uses the Mouse.

is there a way to change tab spacing in serial?
better still - make it match arduino IDE spacing in future release ...

Looking at Beta1 of TD_1.34 ( IDE 1.6.13. Works with TYQT and TD_1.33. Teensy .exe works with BOTH ):: Teensyduino-1-34-Beta-1-(ARM-Toolchain-Update)

I am finding a problem uploading with TYQT to a T_3.1 : [upload@803580-Teensy] Firmware 'dtostrf_TEST_b.ino.TEENSY31.hex' is not compatible with '803580-Teensy

Here is a single text file with Verbose output on both TD 1.34 with failure and 1.33 that succeeds :: View attachment tyqt_td_1.34.txt

renamed HEX to text to upload (source ino here)- this hex manually uploads with teensy.exe - but errors as above on TYQT :: View attachment dtostrf_TEST_b.ino.TEENSY31.hex.txt

<EDIT>: Usage on T_3.6 is fine and normal! I tried uploading a different sketch to T_3.1 and it failed the same.

Last edited:
is there a way to change tab spacing in serial?
better still - make it match arduino IDE spacing in future release ...

There's no setting to do that at the moment, but I'll try to add it soon. Along with font settings for the serial monitor.

Looking at Beta1 of TD_1.34 ( IDE 1.6.13. Works with TYQT and TD_1.33. Teensy .exe works with BOTH ):: Teensyduino-1-34-Beta-1-(ARM-Toolchain-Update)

I am finding a problem uploading with TYQT to a T_3.1 : [upload@803580-Teensy] Firmware 'dtostrf_TEST_b.ino.TEENSY31.hex' is not compatible with '803580-Teensy

Here is a single text file with Verbose output on both TD 1.34 with failure and 1.33 that succeeds :: View attachment 9184

renamed HEX to text to upload (source ino here)- this hex manually uploads with teensy.exe - but errors as above on TYQT :: View attachment 9185

<EDIT>: Usage on T_3.6 is fine and normal! I tried uploading a different sketch to T_3.1 and it failed the same.

Thanks for the report, it should work correctly in the latest build TyQt-0.8.0-4-g5be2fe1.

The Teensy Loader uses the information in the ELF file to check the model a firmware is compiled for, which is more reliable than what TyQt does (or should I say, did) but it cannot be used if the ELF is not also there. If you delete the ELF file in the Arduino build folder, you can use the Teensy Loader to upload the HEX file to an incompatible board and it will not stop you.

Since I wanted TyQt to work the same with or without the ELF file I found another way, kind of a hack really but it did work until now. But I've just found a way better trick, way less fragile and it still does not need the ELF file. I'm quite happy about that actually :)

Just found out about TyQt two days ago.
I don't know if that is a TyQt problem, but often it happens that after uploading the serial monitor is cleared but nothing shows up.
I have to disconnect the power supply from my circuit and the USB from the Teensy.
After plugin in again the serial monitor works and is printing what it should.

Teensy 3.5 on Windows 8.1...

On 'Options' tab there is a setting to 'Clear on reset' you can uncheck - that will keep the prior text on the monitor until you manually 'Clear Serial' - or after the Teensy goes missing.

Not sure what the real problem is - with not coming up active and working - TYQT is usually always there and ready - so I don't see that as normal TYQT problem or issue.

You might try tapping the 'Serial' icon or Ctrl+S 'enable serial' - off then back on to see if it picks up without repowering or a Reset click from the Teensy GUI.

Does the Teensy show 'Active' - not bootloader or missing in the left pane?

Back