A Guide To Using ESP8266 With TEENSY 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is good news - I picked a good place to start. Would be great to see your progress.

The Teensy doesn't take OTA updates yet - PJRC is considering it amongst all other things - and posted that the ESP8266 might be a starting platform for a supportable solution.

onehorse has a new thread on his current work - I accidentally hit this old post as I clicked an email way down my list and ended up here not seeing the date on your post.

I'm trying out one of onehorse's units and just sends test, test, test, test back to teensy. doesn't seem to want to respond to commands.

I'm trying out one of onehorse's units and just sends test, test, test, test back to teensy. doesn't seem to want to respond to commands.

I saw this posted on another thread? I never saw this - I just used Teensy as a proxy and uploaded Arduino based sketch and it worked well and reliably and moved to OTA updates after putting that in the sketch - great devices but that task priority got dropped for their use so I've not powered one the past weeks. You'll need to hear from onehorse on the meaning of "test ..." - or provide more details on your use case - I'd suggest using the Arduino codebase to turn it into a smart programmable device per my other notes elsewhere.

Yes, this unit was probably programmed with a simple test sketch via the Arduino IDE which blinks a light and sends out test to UART. If you want to use the AT command set you need to reprogram it using the ESP8266 flash loader and the latest ESP8266 firmware, both of which you can find on the ESP8266 forum site.

Probably should have verified it was working the way you wanted before soldering to the Teensy, but you can certainly flash it even when soldered.

Sounds like you really need a replacement. PM me at onehorse@earthlink.net and I will send you a replacement flashed with the proper AT firmware; I'll even solder on the antenna if you would like.

The through hole antenna sounds like a good change - not only for durability but flexibility in attaching the antenna in like twice the ways :)

When I get back to my OLD boards I'll have to look at the current ones.

The through hole antenna sounds like a good change - not only for durability but flexibility in attaching the antenna in like twice the ways :)

When I get back to my OLD boards I'll have to look at the current ones.

defragster, onehorse suggested that you might be able to help me with this.

not aware that i needed to flash the add on board that was sent to me, i've soldered it to a teensy.

is it possible to flash the esp8266 via USB in the arduino IDE while it's connected to the arduino? or using some other tool?

Right now I'm going on:

use this flash tool - FLASH_DOWNLOAD_TOOLS_v2.4_150924.rar http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=433

And then this firmware - https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_AT

But I think I need to get an FTDI cable???

I haven't had to flash any add-ons before. Software I'm okay at. Hardware not so much.

Thanks for any help you can give me! :)

I did flashing with an FTDI adapter - and then with a Teensy connecting Rx/Tx/GND and powered from Teensy 3.2 - if using FTDI you need external power as they can't typically drive the needed current. making sure you have full voltage and current to the ESP8266 is critical with a good source and good wires.

I can give more detail later - there is some sort of a github/defragster ESP8266 repository out there with my path and process. I too am a software guy - and I made it work. Then to the ESP8266 I pushed an OTA capable sketch so it could be programmed directly from the IDE very effectively. I may not have updated my github with the last I had working - let me know if you find it.

Okay. I will grab an FTDI cable today. Do I need a 3.3v or a 5v cable?

Actually I guess it doesn't matter since the power will be coming through power connected to the teensy. But I'll probably want 3.3v for flashing other add-ons that I haven't already soldered onto things. hahaha.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Working with the ESP8266 and I used your code and modified it a bit so that I can reset the ESP8266 using a Teensy line. Took a little to get it working but now I am getting responses and if I reset the device I get
"Ai-Thinker Tecnology Co Ltd
Ready"
However all it ever does is echo back what I send to it. I send AT+RST and I see the LEDs blink and it echoes the command back and does not say anything else.
Powering the ESP from a desktop PSU at 3.3 Volts, so I'm not using the Teensy, but it seems to only pull about 70mA at the moment.
Should I look into Re-flashing the device. I have 3 and another one did exactly the same thing.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

To start I was breadboarding and had power problems - I gave up on default and node mcu firmware and went to using it as a full Arduino programmable device - then I found the low power was preventing the prior flashing even though it said it was working.

I fixed the power (doubled wires power and ground got near 3.3V that was under 3V) and was happy to have full Arduino programmable Firmware on the device. That is what is on my GitHub as it was working. I dropped it from my project as I didn't have the need for it up front.

Hello,the esp8266 wifi module must connected in the port uart1??
The teensy 3.6 has 6 ports uart would be able to work on uart2 or uart3 or only uart1?
I use this library.

Was anyone successful to upload the code to Esp8266-01 with Teensy 3.2 or 3.6?
Every time I get the error:
failed sending 0xC0
error: failed sending 8 bytes
error: failed sending 36 bytes

Was anyone successful to upload the code to Esp8266-01 with Teensy 3.2 or 3.6?
Every time I get the error:
failed sending 0xC0
error: failed sending 8 bytes
error: failed sending 36 bytes

Yes, this works well. Are you grounding the correct pins to put the esp into flash mode? Have you the correct baud speeds set in the IDE and on the board? Please show your schematic and code and maybe someone can help more.

from the T3.6? yes its possible, ive done it using the RTS signal of the USB HID to program it off the Serial1

your getting those errors because RX/TX is in use by teensy, that either have to disable code using it in a blocking type of mode until programming is finished, or flash it off an external uart programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back