Audio "examples\Analysis\FFT\FFT.ino" Compile failure: ide 1.6 Beta6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried on Window 7, but I was not able to reproduce the problem.

Here's a screenshot:

sc.png

From those errors, it's clear your copy of Arduino is incorrectly using library from "C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino\libraries\", when it's supposed to always use any library with the same name from "C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\".

I have no idea why it would do that. I can't anything like that get that to happen here on my Windows 7 test machine.

Most of the Arduino devs use Macs. I use Linux, as do many others. Windows seems to be the least used OS for actual development of the Arduino software.
But my guess is that it is the most used OS for Arduino users. Personally I think they need to eat their own dog food.

That is when I was still working, we would always try to have us developers doing as much of our development on the system that we were developing for. We would also try to have as many different systems as possible, with many of us using example hardware we were developing for. That way we were much more likely to find issues that were hardware specific. Also helped for not everyone to have top of the line computers as to find performance issues and the like...

Well, I certainly do test on Windows. I think those screenshots can confirm that.

As for development, nearly all the work is code that runs on Teensy, or runs on the Java virtual machine. It's far more productive to do that type of work on a more solid platform.

Post #984 in the long Audio Library thread might be worth looking at. BTW: is there an easy way to post a pointer to a post?

Yes. Click the number. For example, click "#984", and the address bar on your browser will update to a link directly to that particular message. Just copy and paste it from there.

I believe I've done all I can on this particular problem. I tried here on Windows 7, but couldn't reproduce it.

Unless someone can figure out how I can reproduce this on a clean Windows system, I'm going to take this off my list of problems to investigate.

Paul: Do you have a sticky thread on current Beta location files? I pointed someone to it the other day in mid-thread . . . I did use the 1.6 INSTALLER for this assuming it would make things right - I'll clean and do it with the ZIP. Though in my short time I've found it just seemed to give it pre-conceived assumptions on locations - maybe that is the case here behind the scenes.

Thanks for the link to : post55807. I have used the installer on enough prior versions that the IDE may have ideas of it's own - even though they were all uninstalled. I see my docs\arduino is under 1gb so I can make another partition.

I'll do the beta 1.6 fresh and see if I can get that working. I'll do it outside Documents this time too. If I see oddity I'll do the current 1.0.6 release per PJRC.

KurtE - sounds like you worked at a place like I did with 'dogfood' daily builds and testing that had a gamut of machines - and talk about work in the past tense . . . I'm about to start my 18th year of vacation - and I'm finding what I want to do when I grow up is something more intriguing like these things I did when I started. Though I did enjoy the days of working that left me as Defrag'ster before self exile to an island in the PNW.

[edit] still puzzled how I managed to get three machines to the exact same failure point . . . must have been the IDE installer with other versions - always in DOCUMENTS.

Last edited:
[edit] still puzzled how I managed to get three machines to the exact same failure point . . . must have been the IDE installer with other versions - always in DOCUMENTS.

I'm mystified by this too, and I *really* want to get to the bottom of it. I just don't know how.

Maybe I could prepare a special arduino-core.jar file you could put into the "lib" folder, that would print a lot of extra info when you run the Arduino-debug program. Are those 3 machines still doing this? Any chance you could give that a try?

Note: I tried compiling it on my Win 7 machine and it compiled, but with reasonably different sizes than Pauls...
Teensy 3.1, serial, 96mhz...
C:\arduino-1.6.0/hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0 C:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Local\Temp\build1262815931451805609.tmp/FFT.cpp.elf C:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Local\Temp\build1262815931451805609.tmp/FFT.cpp.eep
C:\arduino-1.6.0/hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O ihex -R .eeprom C:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Local\Temp\build1262815931451805609.tmp/FFT.cpp.elf C:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Local\Temp\build1262815931451805609.tmp/FFT.cpp.hex

Sketch uses 93,168 bytes (35%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.

Does not compile for Teensy LC... But that is probably something completely different:
-IC:\arduino-1.6.0\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD -IC:\Users\Kurt\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Audio\utility C:\Users\Kurt\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Audio\analyze_fft1024.cpp -o C:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Local\Temp\build1262815931451805609.tmp\Audio\analyze_fft1024.cpp.o
C:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Local\Temp\ccVD0NN8.s: Assembler messages:
C:\Users\Kurt\AppData\Local\Temp\ccVD0NN8.s:339: Error: selected processor does not support Thumb mode `smuad r6,r6,r6'
Error compiling.

Note: I tried compiling it on my Win 7 machine and it compiled, but with reasonably different sizes than Pauls...

I must confess, I was using the latest not-yet-released (but on github) code that will become beta7 in a few days.

Very little has changed. I can't see how this dtostrf fix could have that impact, but maybe it does somehow?

If I have time later tonight, maybe I ought to wipe that copy and see if beta6 on my machine gives exactly the same size.

I'm mystified by this too, and I *really* want to get to the bottom of it. I just don't know how.

Maybe I could prepare a special arduino-core.jar file you could put into the "lib" folder, that would print a lot of extra info when you run the Arduino-debug program. Are those 3 machines still doing this? Any chance you could give that a try?

Send it along - low priority, No rush since the ZIP extract copy runs fine.

[edit] downloaded the zip so I may beat you to wiping the first Win7 machine. Making new Partition/Drive to dump it on there before messing with the installed IDE.
Maybe you can spot some unset or mis-set environment variable - I got the feeling some subtle things were wrong on systems before.

Last edited:
IT WORKS - Under Windows - Don't use the Installer for Arduino IDE! Use the ZIP to extract in place!

I created a new Drive I: and Folder "TEENSY16" and extracted the Arduino 1.6 ZIP there, had to move the files up to that folder from Arduino1.6.

Ran "AS ADMINISTRATOR" TeensyDuino installer ( in this case teensyduino_1.6b2.exe ) and pointed to "I:" and it saw this folder. Did Full install and Opened the IDE (opened last sketch on other drive), Did the required "VERIFY only" and then Compiled the problematic FFT sample and it Compiled and Uploaded.

Paul: My old install Win7 machine is still untouched an I suspect it would still repro the error if you want me to run something.

Sketch uses 91,052 bytes (34%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.
Global variables use 13,404 bytes (20%) of dynamic memory, leaving 52,132 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 65,536 bytes.
I:\Teensy16/hardware/tools/teensy_post_compile -file=FFT.cpp -path=C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Temp\build516914291992542668.tmp -tools=I:\Teensy16/hardware/tools -board=TEENSY31 -reboot
Opening Teensy Loader...

I made data:
// Connect either the live input or synthesized sine wave
//AudioConnection patchCord1(audioInput, 0, myFFT, 0);
AudioConnection patchCord1(sinewave, 0, myFFT, 0);

Last edited:
Ok, here's modified files: pde.jar and arduino-core.jar. These go into Arduino's "lib" folder, replacing the copies already there.

Once these are installed, when you run Arduino_Debug, a LOT of extra info about pathnames of all your libraries will print to the debug window!

Attachments

• defragster_libconflict_test.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
To capture the debug messages a file, you'll probably have to run arduino_debug.exe from the command line. Then you can redirect its output to a file.

Here's a screenshot to help:

sc.png

Hopefully all this extra debug info will shed some light onto what went wrong.

I really, really do want to get to the bottom of this. It's likely to be an issue on other Windows machines, and so far I have absolutely no idea what really happened.

Replaced the files on my Win7 box - In my 'Installed Arduino 1.6' folder. FFT Compiles into FeedPaul.txt - that was loading the IDE when I had removed the Ard-libraries-AUDIO.
View attachment FeedPaul.txt

Restored Ard-libraries-Audio and it went back to failing and that is in FeedPaul2.txt
View attachment FeedPaul2.txt

I noticed when I ran the one forum post code "T_ADCLibUpd_101_25532" [msg 101 in thread 25532 11-05-2014, 06:04 PM #101 ] indicated before that it came to the same end "ADC.h: No such file or directory" and the SAM confusion this is from my new ZIP DUMP folder: View attachment FeedPaulZip.txt. I'll reboot and confirm this after restoring these JAR's. View attachment T_ADCLibUpd_101_25532.ino

Last edited:
Rebooted to my Clean TeensyDrive install. I noticed that the full compile window had a few more lines that didn't make it to the output file - including the still present SAM issue - again this is code pulled from the Forum that I assumed works on non-Windows:
WARNING: library Audio claims to run on [sam] architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on [avr] architecture(s).
I:\Teensy16/hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -g -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -MMD -nostdlib -fno-exceptions -felide-constructors -std=gnu++0x -fno-rtti -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -D__MK20DX256__ -DTEENSYDUINO=121 -DARDUINO=10600 -DF_CPU=96000000 -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR -DUSB_SERIAL -DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH -IC:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3 -IC:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Audio\src -IC:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire -IC:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI -IC:\Users\Tim\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SD\src C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Temp\build580909417594465133.tmp\T_ADCLibUpd_101_25532.cpp -o C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Temp\build580909417594465133.tmp\T_ADCLibUpd_101_25532.cpp.o

T_ADCLibUpd_101_25532.ino:26:17: fatal error: ADC.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

Error compiling.

I'm looking through the files new. I can see where things I going wrong, but I can't (yet) figure out why. Originally I though this was happening in a part of the code that resolves header to directory mapping conflicts, but it's becoming clear the problem is happing much earlier as library folders are scanned.

If you can, please keep that machine as-is. I'm hoping you'll be willing to run this again with another pair of jar files? I need to study the java code a bit more and figure out how to get more info printed to get to why.

Will wait for update JAR files to do it again. I have downloaded the 1.0.6 ZIP and will do another tree with that and the released TeensyD to see if that works for me. I just went to the indicated posts #101 and re-pulled THAT code to the IDE and indeed it gave the same failure as noted above so I got it right and it hasn't changed. I tried a post on that thread asking about Win usage and the Forum ate it so I'll let that go for now - last note I left was when I found the FFT to work and thought all was well. I only saw one taker for trying Windows with it.

ZIP copied Arduino 1.0.6 into I:\Teensy106 and now TeensyDuino 1.20 installed there.

I cannot select a board? Board selection offers only the tiny little unpopulated square:

Ard106TD120.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back