Arduino.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero with the www_.org silkscreen. Does the www_.cc IDE 1.6.3 have ZERO library support?

I only have one real UNO and it was marked with www_.cc. I got a few Sparkfun blue & purple boards that are www_.cc.

Question, can I use arduino for a small handheld camera?
RasPi is far better at this. It has built-in connectors just for connecting to dedicated camera modules. You can get cameras that do well over 1080P in resolution. The photos will save fast, and you can take a bunch of them in rapid succession because the RasPi will cache them in its enormous RAM as it leisurely journals them out to the SD card.

With Arduino, your camera choices are limited. Most of the shield cams for Arduino do 640x480 max. I saw one 2MP camera, but you have to pull data over an RS232 link at 115200 bits/sec. How long does it take an Arduino to pull 150K over that link, and write it to the SD card? You'll be waiting that entire time before you can take another photo.

That might not be a problem - dunno what your application is.

Apologies since this is off-track for Teensy.

In terms of Raspberry Pi, you could start with: https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-wifi-raspberry-pi-touch-cam.

I used this in my Raspbery Pi/Polaroid camera mashup:
2015-02-23-10-30-001-hidepi.jpg

2015-02-23-10-42-002-hidepi.jpg

Note, in using it, the standard Pi camera is not all that good for indoor shots without some additional light, and I am currently planning on upgrading the LCD to a 5" HDMI screen, and use an external camera with a faster lens, as well as put some lights on the camera to bring up the light levels.

Here is a combo kit that combines the 2.8" display and a camera: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RaspCAM-2-8...030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418633f046

If you want a somewhat bigger screen (but one that is slower) they have a package with the 3.2" display instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RaspCAM-3-2...763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3c030ddb.

For normal usage, I find the 2.8" screen hard to use for anything but the camera, and I just got a 5" HDMI screen, but I haven't put all of the pieces together. I'm going to have to rewrite the camera software, because it is tied to the 2.8" display.

Now, getting back to Teensy, if you have a camera that has support for a wired or infrared shutter release, it is fairly simple to add support to a Teensy to fire the camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8_dAgaBBdI

If your camera doesn't support a wired/infrared shutter release, you can program your Teensy to trigger a servo to press the button: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCgqGIGyRo&feature=topics.

Or if you are willing to void whatever warranty you have on the camera, you can set your Teensy to act as the shutter button: http://www.instructables.com/id/Time-Lapse-Photography/step3/Press-my-buttons/

Before moving to Teensys, I did a telegraph shutter release for my E-3/E-5 based steampunk camera. The telegraph key is a momentary switch, and the Arduino will tell the camera to focus as long as the switch is held down. Once the switch is released, it will tell the camera to fire. Then using the buzzer, it will send "Fire" in morse code:
2012-08-05-23-36-010-arduino.jpg

2012-08-05-23-36-011-arduino.jpg

I've moved the rig over to Teensys, but I don't think I took a picture of it.

I don't know why you're getting upset with me, but it's not appropriate. I didn't hurt your nephew. What I did was repeat advice given to me on good faith by college instructors in California. They told me that in order to help me avoid a bad situation. I am repeating it in the same spirit.

As it turns out, I have very good reason to do so. Here is a counterexample to your claim, from here. They establish different levels of university involvement, and delineate that in cases where university resources are tapped above and beyond a limit (which they do not clearly define), the university has at least partial rights to the IP:

The terms laid out in the document are ambiguous enough that a person could read through them and think, "I'm safe." But - what if you used university resources for "commercial development"? Making the university pay for a patent or copyright is obvious, but development of commercial potential is nebulous and they do not define what they mean by this, or cite a specific example. They do provide examples of what they think is incidental, but not of what goes beyond that. This leaves the door open to them claiming that they should have a right to some or all profits, should there be litigation.

Therefore, I think it would be wiser for students to look up the policy at their specific institutions and figure out the pitfalls. It's easy to read a document like this and think that it aligns with your interests, but you have to look at it from the other side's angle, and from the perspective of a judge and jury who don't care about you or think you should be right just because you're you. Leaving the commercial development angle completely undefined is not something that would inspire confidence in me.

Did not intend to be abrasive and a miscreant - my excuse is an excessive exposure to lawyers and the court system.

The above excerpt is administrative guide for a single school and may have no legal standing as is contradicted by statutory law per the TEACH act, and the CSU guide for IP:

"Students shall be deemed to own their creations
and inventions made in pursuit of their academic
instructional program. "

There are several sets of CSU regulations that apply to all schools in the system at:
www.calstate.edu/AcadSen/Records/Reports/

My final drivel on this subject. Am just another stupid engineer and not a lawyer. IP, copyright, and trademark law are a source of misery for the technologist. We need to understand this abysmal and miserable subject. Let us not be naive. The technoid community must protect itself from those that prey upon us.
Stuff we can do to protect our toys:
1. Maintain lab notebooks at home and publish records of your work early (github) without abrogating any rights.
2. Never sign anything that talks about IP or any other property rights.
3. Never have anything that links your private work to your employer (can be difficult to do depending on the country and the state).
4. Understand the differences between MIT and GPL licenses. In fact, avoid tainting your work with any form of GPL - use MIT or similar.
5. Never allow your dog to chew on your lab notebook.

Perhaps prepend to that list?

0. Regarding IP matters of commercial importance, consult with a knowledgeable attorney who specializes in IP law.

And of course on the flip side, I only use Linux, and I would prefer something I can use in the Linux environment, preferably using GDB, which is burned into my finger tips.
I use Windows, Linux, Mac OS, RPi Linux and FreeRTOS (!).
Does that make me more "open"?

Just had an interesting experience with the latest installer from Arduino LLC (i.e. 1.6.3) on a Windows machine.

It installs a signed USB driver from both Arduino SRL as well as a USB driver from Arduino LLC. Weird!

Last edited:
Apologies since this is off-track for Teensy.

In terms of Raspberry Pi, you could start with: https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-wifi-raspberry-pi-touch-cam.

I used this in my Raspbery Pi/Polaroid camera mashup:
2015-02-23-10-30-001-hidepi.jpg

2015-02-23-10-42-002-hidepi.jpg

Note, in using it, the standard Pi camera is not all that good for indoor shots without some additional light, and I am currently planning on upgrading the LCD to a 5" HDMI screen, and use an external camera with a faster lens, as well as put some lights on the camera to bring up the light levels.

Here is a combo kit that combines the 2.8" display and a camera: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RaspCAM-2-8...030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418633f046

If you want a somewhat bigger screen (but one that is slower) they have a package with the 3.2" display instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RaspCAM-3-2...763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3c030ddb.

For normal usage, I find the 2.8" screen hard to use for anything but the camera, and I just got a 5" HDMI screen, but I haven't put all of the pieces together. I'm going to have to rewrite the camera software, because it is tied to the 2.8" display.

Now, getting back to Teensy, if you have a camera that has support for a wired or infrared shutter release, it is fairly simple to add support to a Teensy to fire the camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8_dAgaBBdI

If your camera doesn't support a wired/infrared shutter release, you can program your Teensy to trigger a servo to press the button: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCgqGIGyRo&feature=topics.

Or if you are willing to void whatever warranty you have on the camera, you can set your Teensy to act as the shutter button: http://www.instructables.com/id/Time-Lapse-Photography/step3/Press-my-buttons/

I've moved the rig over to Teensys, but I don't think I took a picture of it.

Very nice! :)

FWIW, the Teensy site would also benefit from a rethink. Teensy 2 related items are listed under PJRC, while many Teensy 3.x related information can only be found in the forums. I suggest making more of the site centered around a forum format. You'd have to add a few more forum subdivisions but nothing earth shattering.

I agree the Teensy site could be designed much better. That said I very much disagree that content should be put on forums. Forums are as a rule an awful medium for information. Lack of threading makes reading a discussion (with multiple quotes) difficult. It's painful to read 20+ pages of information following the discussion to figure out what information is correct and what information is wrong.

A better solution is a wiki where we can compile information / results from forums and have a definitive source the community can update.

paul is a busy guy though.

A better solution is a wiki where we can compile information / results from forums and have a definitive source the community can update.

paul is a busy guy though.

Agreed - WiKi format with the correct info up front in a good order pins/pics/libs/examples/refs/etc - no reading Aged stuff that gets resolved on the last page with a fix. I've dropped this example one I used before that was helpful. You can quickly find current info on any supported item.

https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki# is the basis of that one and has a usable search too

You can enable threading on the Forum view - but then the recent stuff wouldn't be dropped at the end.

LOL, yup. I tend to take on overly ambitious projects... like currently rewriting the SD library, when I probably should be putting more work into documentation.

Slightly off topic (where's the correct thread for this), but, Paul, do you think you could make the SD library non-blocking and do data-transfers through DMA?

Paul - if there was a supportable Wiki Started - it could write itself - or rather those that knew about a library or hardware piece or interface could get it started. That wouldn't apply much to me - and you may have to re-write it all - or at least write and format the top core threads as a guide - Perhaps an Alpha-Wiki might actually get good support and could be moved to Beta or abandoned as appropriate.

The one I linked is a good item by item manual format that gets one up to speed effectively on any covered topic.

The Radiohead library uses the doxygen formatting tool to generate a library manual that is an awesome doc tool. If there was a way to do a library by library version of that - pushed into the wiki - it would be more palatable for folks whose 'hour studying the code to learn it' doesn't get them as far as it does for you.

EDIT> Here is a new wiki for the evolving ESP8266 family as another example: esp8266.com/wiki

Last edited:
I use doxygen too. Really pays off in the long run.
And using it - the end user documentation is maintained.

The ST HAL library, giant, is fully doxygen.
And many other projects on the web.

In tonight's Ask An Engineer, Adafruit pre-announced the Arduino Gemma, which pretty much looks like the Gemma 2.0, except it has a teal pcb instead of dark blue, and they said it was the first of many (I imagine Trinket classic, Trinket Pro, Flora being other likely candidates) 'official' arduino's made in the USA (and arduino in this case means arduino.cc, not arduino.org). It will be interesting to see if the non-Arduino branded Gemma stays as a product, if the branded Gemma is a different cost than the non-branded Gemma, and if the Zero will ever be in stock again. I also wonder if arduino.cc is also in talks with Sparkfun.

That being said, I find ATtiny85's hard to use for anything other than simple blinking neopixels, due to all of the things that aren't there (no serial debug support, have to use tinywire instead of wire, harder to use servos, only 3/5 pins, etc.). If you go up to the trinket pro level ($9.95), I would rather pay the extra $1.70 and get an LC instead.

For the Gemma/Trinkets I own, I suspect it will mean eventually I will need one less Arduino/arduino-like release on the system, since a future arduino 1.6.x will have support built-in.

Last edited:
The Sparkfun explanation re: their stance was certainly enlightening. Indicating to your customers what their support pays for (i.e. royalty payments to whomever) is certainly a good way to let everyone make a more informed decision. I also thought it was and interesting attempt to plug their own redboard line of 2009-era set of boards.

I've always been a bit conflicted buying anything Sparkfun branded since it's more than likely that they simply ripped off someone else's design. See the USB host controller shield from Oleg, for example. Sparkfun even has the guts to ask it's users to download the necessary libraries from Oleg's site and to make the necessary modifications to the pin assignments in the library to make it work (since the Sparkfun copy is not perfect, just really close).

The Redboard doesn't seem that different and Sparkfun admits that they currently pay no royalties to LLC or SRL for it, even though they do pay royalties for some of the other boards they make (the royalty payments seem to resolve around using the arduino trademark vs. using the design) Seems to me that paying the CC folk even a token royalty for the redboard line would be trivial to accomplish, if they really wanted to (i.e. they know where to send the cheque!). Especially in the light of the fat profit margins that Sparkfun should enjoy, i.e. selling a $8 MCU board for $20.

I wish more places would take the stance SparkFun has. Not saying its the greatest, but at least putting something out there. I'm from Colorado, and I'm literally a 30 minute drive from SparkFun (wife hates that). So they are my go to place to order something if I need it quick. Back on Arduino day, I ordered a bunch of their Pro Mini's and regular Pros for a project I was working on (couldn't beat the price). However I also purchased an Arduino Uno SMD just to add to my collection, I even purchased a couple Teensy 3.1s. When the Uno SMD showed up, to my surprise it was a .ORG board. I was little upset, because I'm a .CC person. If I would of known, I actually wouldn't of ordered it.

I guess what it comes down too for me is, at least they are letting people know where they stand. So this way when people order, they know who is getting what royalties.

Sorry for the rant, but hopefully this feud will be over soon. Until then we all just have to sit back, and see what happens.

Personally, I wish the two sides would just make up and shake hands! Also that they would not air all of their dirty laundry.

So I can totally understand the stance that Sparkfun is taking and try not alienate either side as who knows where it is going to end up.

That is if their customers for example want one of the new boards like the Leonardo ETH, then they should sell them. Personally I don't need nor want any of their new boards. Currently I have supported the .cc people through Intel stuff (I have purchased maybe 5 Edisons where 2 have died, and have an Galileo G2). I also have some older boards (Uno, Leonardo, Due)

If I were the .cc people and needed funds coming in, I would be working with manufactures and distributors to make sure they had .cc versions of the boards (UNO, Leonardo...).

I would also be working with places like PJRC, to see if they could come up with some mutual benefit arrangement. Maybe something like PJRC gives them something like $.50 (dart board number) for each Teensy shipped, in exchange, the Teensys show up in the hardware list up on Arduino.cc website an potentially the ability to install boards through the board manager... But again this would be if and only if someone like Paul thought that it was a beneficial to PJRC. Likewise with Sparkfun and others.

But again I wish they would just work it out. It is getting pretty weird for each board to have to decide do I use Arduino 1.6.3 or 1.7.2?

Also I am having a difficult time understanding what is counterfeit open source hardware? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back