An update on my GSM/GPS project

Status
Not open for further replies.
This looks very impressive and the cost seems reasonable as well.
Can you provide code samples (at least to a basic level of using each feature GSM/GPS/CAN)?

I have my first Teensy on order at the moment, once I get comfortable with it, I'm definitely looking into this product!

Hi all,
has any one tried the module?
There are any tecnical hardware specs available?
For a projekt i wants nearly exactly those features.
Which chip is used for gms and which for GPS. What is the gps update / refresh rate (Mhz)?
Can YOU modify your module and replace the current GPS chip by Venus638FLPx? ;)

Thanks
Chris

One thing to keep in mind is that ATT has announced the dropping of 2G GPRS support in 2017 - see https://www.business.att.com/content/other/2G-Sunset-FAQ_2016.pdf.

That leaves you T-Mobile and some of the other, smaller, local providers in the US to allow GPRS to function. It's one reason I'm dealing with the pain of transiting to a 3G solution.

I wish there were easy-to-use 3G M2M modules on the market. FWIW, I'm currently following in Adafruits footsteps with the Sim5320a and that chip is a beast. Not just sizewise, but the power supply they spec expensive. Yes, you can cut corners like Adafruit did re the spec sheet, but as always, at your peril.

@blacksheep: See tinytracker.io for specs. Glad to answer any questions you might have.

Constantin: I will have a 3G version within a couple months. Although it'll be 2mm or so wider than the Teensy footprint, since 3G modules aren't getting smaller yet.

I also have a HSDPA or LTE or LTE+ solution for Teensy Express.

That's awesome! Had a look today and digikey is now selling FCC and carrier certified m2m modems that fit in XBee sockets. Based on the marketing pitch, this should obviate the need for any further FCC or carrier approval / licensing / etc.

Big premium - the 3G models cost $175+ (ditto for CDMA) while the GPRS module is $90. But all fit the same pinout. Tempting for me, IF this means no further certification hassles. The number of loggers we'd conceivably make is so low, any huge fixed costs are hard to recover.

If interested, see the Nimbelink series of modems.

Wanted to share my new handlebar version with you guys

WDooekvl.jpg

NTjEy9ql.jpg

The handlebar version looks great!
But how is the reception inside? Or du you fit the antennas somewhere on the outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back