Hackster.io Teensy section

Status
Not open for further replies.
These aggregator sites run the narrow gamut from marginally useful to completely parasitic sucking ad revenue out of the creativity of the open source community.

Sites that put some effort into creating value get more of my respect: pjrc, adafruit, sparkfun, and on a good day, hackaday. Sites that are more ad than content, like makezine, not so much.

Of course, the Hackster folks would very much like me to promote their website's Teensy section.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable doing more than just this one forum thread. I am curious to hear how people feel, particularly if this sort of thing is interesting to hear if only occasionally, or if it feels like spam, or something in between?

Looking at it, I didn't see any overt ads, and about 1/2 of the projects ultimately came back here in the first place. It seemed like a place where I might browse once a month to see if there is any new interesting projects.

I browsed quickly and found this LC project that seems familiar like the face (@pensive) . . . http://hackaday.io/project/4469-teenstrument64-lc

I didn't see ads - just pictures of completed projects, and lots of attribution and links to PJRC store and otherwise as @mm saw. Given my skill set and the breadth of audience out there some of this could be good. Now starting with the Teensy I feel better with it as a platform and regret the stockpile of 8 bit units I got and may never use. If others could find it and see it they could get farther with a $12 LC than a $20+ 8 bit unit.

Wow, awesome! Thanks for the feedback, and for the link, Paul.

I'm Hackster's hacker and platform advocate. pictographer, we're right there with you re: aggregator sites -- there are no ads on Hackster, and we want to keep it that way. Most of the content is original, coming from hackathons, courses, and independent or professional makers, while external links are there to include interesting projects with attribution. We promote projects that include circuit diagrams, code, and component lists so people can learn from others, like defragster mentioned.

I don't want to spam your thread, but please feel free to email me at alex@hackster.io with any questions :)

Are you guys doing something at the CTRL-H hackerspace in Portland tomorrow? I have it on my calendar and I'm thinking about heading up there if there aren't any Teensy emergencies tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back