Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: How to send teensy which programm is running on the computer

How to send teensy which programm is running on the computer

Hi guys!! i'm making a shorcut keyboard with teensy 3.1, a LCD to show info, trimmer to change active profile and some pushbuttons.

So, right now I've been able to program differents shortcuts and use them, but i want to make my program safer to use and it would be great if the computer send teensy info about which program is running and it have active window. The idea is block teensy sending shortcuts unless the program running on the pc and the profile match.

I've read about D-bus but i don't know if this is already done or even if it's possible to make it with teensy.

You can review my code in here: https://github.com/LuisDiazUgena/Teensy-shortcuts (Readme it's not really update and it doesn't have all the info. I'm going to update it in a while but i'm not going to make a detailed instructions until is finished).

I've planned to make a custom 3D printed case and a custom pcb to manage all. Of course, everything is going to be open source.

For me the easiest way to accomplish this would be coding an host application on your computer (it could be as simple as a python script running as a service or a fancy GUI for your current enviroment), that application installed (running) on your computer keep track of the applications that are running and send the necessary information via usb serial to Teensy.

If I'm not mistaken there is a way to keep the usb serial working even on the keyboard mode.

I don't know if this is feasible or not, just throwing ideas out there....

Quote Originally Posted by vitormhenrique View Post
    For me the easiest way to accomplish this would be coding an host application on your computer (it could be as simple as a python script running as a service or a fancy GUI for your current enviroment), that application installed (running) on your computer keep track of the applications that are running and send the necessary information via usb serial to Teensy.

If I'm not mistaken there is a way to keep the usb serial working even on the keyboard mode.

I don't know if this is feasible or not, just throwing ideas out there....
    Thanks for the ideas! Will check it out soon!