Not able to Program Any file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very strange. Let's call this a hardware problem and get you a replacement!

Please email me directly, paul at pjrc dot com, and we'll get the replacement arranged.

Hi all,

My teensy 3.2 is not working with battery but when I connect USB and dump the program it ask for reset then it starts working.

Also, if I am using USB so every time I have to dump the program and manually press the reset as my other 3.2 is working fine with battery.

kindly let me know the reason and solution.

Very strange. Let's call this a hardware problem and get you a replacement!

Please email me directly, paul at pjrc dot com, and we'll get the replacement arranged.

Hi Paul,
I have been dealing with the exact same issue and can not get the Teency LC to work.

I have downloaded many versions of Arduino and installed the Teensyduino for a couple of days now.

I can not get the reboot icon to come up on the Teensyduino software, the Arduino software says it uploaded and just needed to reboot but I do not get this option.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong and I have been searching for how to correct this issue but it sounds like I have a defective board. Please confirm and let me know how I proceed to get a new one or how to correct the one I have.

Thank you!

Hi Elwopo66,

It might help to know what steps you have tried and other information like are you running Windows, Mac, Linux, Which version... Which version of Arduino, which version of Teensyduino.

Have you tried the steps mentioned up on the PJRC site for new boards?

In particular the steps I take with a new Teensy board is:
1) Open up simple example program like blink
2) In the Arduino IDE go to the Tools->Board menu and choose Teensy LC
3) Click on the Verify button or choose the Sketch->Verify/Compile menu item. When the compile completes it should launch the Teensy App.
4) After the teensy app launches, press the program button on the Teensy. You should then See it program the chip. And assuming you have not changed the USBtype in the Tools menu to something that does not include Serial, the board should then be assigned a Serial port.

After the above, again assuming your USB type in tools menu includes Serial, you should be able to reprogram your Teensy just pressing the Verify button.

If the above does not work, Check to make sure you have a working USB cable and not one only setup for charging. You might try a different one

If by chance this is not a new Teensy LC and you are having difficulties programming it. Again there are several things to look at.
But I typically then try unplugging the board and plug it in holding in the program button and then try to upload a program...

Hi Elwopo66,

Have you tried the steps mentioned up on the PJRC site for new boards?

Thanks for the quick response.
So this is what I have tried and have used to make the Teency LC work for the gameboy zero application
I also have soldered all my button taps to the Teency LC to test during the uploads.
I have tested the Teency on Microsoft word but nothing types out.

1) I am running Windows 10
2) I have installed different versions of Arduino with all having the excat same result at the end.
a) arduino-1.0.6-windows
b) arduino-1.6.8-windows
c) arduino-1.6.9-windows
d) arduino-1.8.2-windows
3) I have installed TeensyduinoInstall on all the systems above except for the 1.6.8 because that one did not work with the Teency.
4) I have followed the tutorial that Wermy created for his gameboy zero and got everything to run except the upload to the teency
5) I have also tried the following tutorial with the exact same results http://doom56.com/Projects/Arduino/Teensy/GameBoyKeyboardProgramming/index.html#
Here are some screen shots of what I see.
Capture.JPG
I hope that it is something I am doing wrong and can be easily fixed with your help.

I will try the blink program tonight and see if this works and let you know

Thank you.

I tried the blink program and I got the same message as before with the gamboy zero program and the program button does not work when I press it and will not boot.
I am not if I am doing something wrong or if it is the board.
Help please.

Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 149
Try blink again, bud first change USB type to serial, in tools menu.

Not sure if auto reboot happens if USB type does not include serial.

Again do verify and then press button on teensy

KurtE - that is one of the things in post link in p#34 - wow that was :: 11-11-2015,*03:23 AM

It has had a couple of tweeks since then - does it need any others - like TyQt is now TyCommander . . . Much easier than trying to remember to cover all the options each time.

First, quit Arduino. The following is just a test to see if Teensy communicates, so fully quit Arduino for this test. You don't need Arduino for the test and it just makes everything more complicated for the case of a simple hardware test.

Then turn off Auto mode in Teensy Loader (the 4th button in the toolbar). It should look like this when Auto mode is off:

win10_loader_2.png

Then press the button on your Teensy. If the Teensy and your USB work, you should see this:

win10_loader_3.png

If there's no response, Teensy Loader doesn't change, then something is wrong with your USB or the Teensy is dead.

USB charge-only cables sold for cell phones are the most common problem when Teensy's LED blinks but there's never a response on your PC. Those cables have only the 2 wires for power but they lack the 2 wires for data.

Sometimes when Teensy is soldered or otherwise wired to another board, incorrect connections can also prevent it from working.

De-soldering can be very hard on electronics. So check your cable first. But if you are absolutely sure your cable and USB are good, then you may need to do this. Sadly, if Teensy wasn't somehow damaged while soldering, odds are strong de-soldering will damage the pins or cause other issues.

If you end up getting another Teensy, make sure you can program it BEFORE you solder any wires!

ive had usb issues here but its prolly win8.0 fault

anyways, during benchtesting yesturday teensy stopped detecting serial port, couldnt program
plugged in a new teensy, same issue, which is weird
a leonardo and a mega detected fine

SO

load up the blink example
click upload
after it says it couldnt detect the teensy to program, just press the button on teensy ONCE
then the led will be blinking and the serial port will come back, and then the other teensies were detected

try that out

just to note, before this reinstalling the IDE and Teensyduino did not ressolve the issue, but the steps above did

anyways, during benchtesting yesturday teensy stopped detecting serial port, couldnt program
plugged in a new teensy, same issue, which is weird

Teensy uses HID protocol, not serial, for all uploading. Many of the options in Tools > USB Type make Teensy act as a non-serial device. If you are troubleshooting by looking for serial ports, perhaps Teensy is simply using HID protocol when you are looking for Serial.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

I have done all of the above with no luck. I have three different cables that I tried and all three of them worked on my pi and my pro trinket with no issues.
I believe it is a bad Teency but I would like someone to confirm so I can set my mind at ease and not think I have gone crazy.

I loaded the blink program on to my pro trinket and worked perfectly fine.

Did you do the test exactly as described in msg #37? Not using Arduino, not looking for serial ports, but with Teensy Loader only, as those screenshots show?

Did you fully disconnect Teensy from all other circuitry for the test?

Did you do the test exactly as described in msg #37? Not using Arduino, not looking for serial ports, but with Teensy Loader only, as those screenshots show?

Did you fully disconnect Teensy from all other circuitry for the test?

I did the do the test with the same results. I will disconnect everything tomorrow and try this and see if it works. I am not sure why this would make a difference but I will try anything at this point.

I have disconnected the teency years from any presoldered connections and there was no change. No light, nothing responding, nothing. I plugged in my pro trinket and had no issues programming the blink or any other program so I know it is not the cable.

Do you think it is the board now? I do not know what my next step is now, what do you recommend?

I have spent more time trying to program the teency then the entire project so you can understand my frustration.

Brand new Teensy 3.2 does not work

First, quit Arduino. The following is just a test to see if Teensy communicates, so fully quit Arduino for this test. You don't need Arduino for the test and it just makes everything more complicated for the case of a simple hardware test.

Then turn off Auto mode in Teensy Loader (the 4th button in the toolbar). It should look like this when Auto mode is off:

win10_loader_2.png

Then press the button on your Teensy. If the Teensy and your USB work, you should see this:

win10_loader_3.png

If there's no response, Teensy Loader doesn't change, then something is wrong with your USB or the Teensy is dead.

USB charge-only cables sold for cell phones are the most common problem when Teensy's LED blinks but there's never a response on your PC. Those cables have only the 2 wires for power but they lack the 2 wires for data.

Hi Paul,
I tried the above. The Teensy 3.2 does not go to Program mode. I never get Reboot OK. I have tried several cables, but no success. The Teensy was purchased from Adafruit. Please help. Below is the verbose list. I am using a windows 10, 64 bit machine

21:26:05.929: Teensy Loader 1.33, begin program
21:26:06.187: Listening for remote control on port 3149
21:26:06.194: initialized, showing main window
21:26:06.404: HID/win32: vid:06CB pid:0AC3 ver:0002
21:26:06.405: HID/win32: vid:413C pid:ABCE ver:0001
21:26:09.579: Open File event
21:26:20.716: File "blink_fast_Teensy32.hex". 14360 bytes, 22% used
21:26:59.845: Verbose Info event

TS

Last edited:
@TS88 - everything you've written seems like your Teensy is simply dead. First, a quick question: Does the LED blink? Every new Teensy is programmed with the LED blink during testing. Even if with a charge only cable, the LED is supposed to blink when you plug it in, because it was programmed with the LED blink example in the test of its hardware.

The LED is supposed to stop blinking when you press the button, because the button puts it into programming mode.

These should be observable even if you have a charge only cable or other problem which prevents all communication. Seeing the LED blink, and then stop blinking when you press the button is a good sanity check whether the hardware works at all.

Of course, if the board has ever been used, it likely has some other program which doesn't necessarily blink the LED. But all brand new Teensy board are programmed with the LED blink during testing. The LED blinks, it's a sure sigh the USB did work at least when PJRC tested the board.

New Teensy 3.2 not working - cannot program it.

Thank you very much Paul for replying. It is very much appreciated. Here are the answers to your questions. I have not been able to program this board at all. The LED does blink when the cable is plugged in. When the button is pressed, the LED stops blinking. I uploaded the hex file, but the program and reboot button is grayed out. The only modification, I have made to the board is to add header pins to access the lines. I have swapped several cables and still have the same problem. Do you think the board is dead? If so, would there be a plausible reason? Please help.

teensy.JPG

Thanks.
ts88

First off it looks like AUTO is turned on, so I believe that Program and Reboot will be disabled. If you click on Auto It should enable them.

I would check to make sure that your solder job on adding the headers did not create any shorts.

Again for new boards, the steps I typically take is to:
Load up Arduino IDE with the simple blink program, click Verify button in Arduino, should compile and bring up Teensy program you show. Then press the program button and it hopefully will program your teensy. Assuming your USB type is Serial or the like, it should then assign a COM port to the new teensy and hopefully after that you can program it by simply clicking the program button on the Arduino IDE...

Edit: also if this does not work, you might try a different Serial cable in case the one you are using does not work.

Also if most recent Windows 10, you might try downloading Paul's updated tools, which appeared to fix the problem for several people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back