Teensy Loader 1.21 does not remember my choice...

robsoles

When I untick 'operation->automatic mode' in an instance of Teensy Loader and then close it and later re-open it I find my choice discarded.

Is that intentional? Have I missed something nice and obvious that would make my choice stick between instances?

Arduino 1.6.1 with Teensyduino 1.21 in a VM because JAVA doesn't get on my 'host' if I can possibly avoid it. VM happens to be running Windows XPspIII coz it seems the most convenient way for now. (Might try it with an Ubuntu VM some time but Vbox extensions and additions seem to handle USB pass-thru better from *any* host to Windows client rather than Linux based clients I have tried it on.)

Not sure if you see the AUTO button as I did - whenever you "UPLOAD" code from the Arduino IDE it will Enable Auto and automatically send the file to the/A Teensy.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_usage.html:
When the compile finishes, Arduino will tell you the final size. The Teensy Loader will also automatically update with the sketch name, and Auto mode will activate.

The reason for the Auto button is from the Teensy end: If you disable Auto then it will not automatically load the code when you press the button on the Teensy.

The above quote referes to VERIFY which it turns out the in versions of the IDE prior to 1.6.x you could select VERIFY in the IDE and then push the Button on the Teensy to complete the upload, however that behavior did not survive the most recent updates in the Arduino IDE and is something Paul has said he will address when possible.

Last edited:
hmmm, ok, quick test (just invoked loader via verify button in Arduino while Teensy was unplugged, unchecked auto and then plugged Teensy in) and it seems that with auto mode off in this version one must press the prog button on Teensy and then hit the 'program' button in TL and then the 'reboot' button.

Seems odd that Teensy Loader changed its background image when I hit prog on the Teensy but waited for me to press the buttons in its own interface before proceeding with the obvious steps.

Even if this was going to be the behaviour till doomsday I still prefer interfaces which remember my choices regardless of any inconvenience I may seem to be causing myself.

there is a breakdown in the prior behavior as Paul is aware - and as noted. So it seems today it should work either: Auto and Button, or just hit IDE&Upload

I've been with this just over 1 month and have found the 'Auto' behavior design not to fit my preference, but (as best I can say) it has been established as POV of Teensy centric not PC centric - with regard to Auto and the Button tied together and the IDE always pushing on UPLOAD - and enabling Auto. It took me some time to get to this with a reply from Paul, but I think that's how it is designed to work. It breaks down with 'Verify' handoff of the .HEX broken in the IDE, when mounting multiple Teensy's.

When the IDE can verify and compile and tell TeensyDuino - auto can stay on with no action and then I suppose you can button push to get the programming.

I'm not sure about the reset and other buttons on TeensyDuino - as mine always seem grayed? [ Program, Open, Reboot ]

Last edited:
Do those buttons remain grayed out when you de-select auto?

(thanks for replies btw, I know Paul is busy (and I am even grateful that he is) so I just thought I would pop this on a shelf he'd see for when he could get around to it but your replies assure me that it is not something I have failed at (aside searching forum better before posting :S) but any reply from anyone who isn't swearing (or just saying RTM (or RTFM!) or 'have you heard of Google' etc) is nice :))

On my Win 8 machine they did stay greyed just now - now on Win 7 they activate when Auto is grayed? It was in the 1.22 feature list I found out about Verify being broken by recent IDE changes, when I asked for a 'IDE Auto' [on/off] setting.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/28058-Teensyduino-1-22-Features?p=68595&viewfull=1#post68595

Forum is tough to search - you can click and read 10 posts of great interest and forget what you started looking for and never found.

Indeed nice to get an answer from Paul - but better to have him working on bigger issues. Auto and the button design had me puzzled and I don't enjoy how it doesn't work 'PC centric' for me as it seems you expected as well, but when we can learn the right way and have it work I'll deal with it. I just saw another new post with this same issue - that I think I'm going to point to this thread. I'm planning to have a Master and Slave Teensy with unique code and wiping the wrong one might ruin my day as I alternate between the two, which is (the capital offense of) Data Loss in my book. This seems to be the concern of the new thread too where Auto selection from IDE wipes the running code without user input as to which one was the destination device.

As far as the FM to Read - let me know if you see it. I'm trying to build karma scouring the forum as I learn the ropes and locate sources. Understandably the web content isn't the primary focus of the designer in chief pushing the system forward [ ((LC+3.1)*(1.6.0^1.6.1*1.21) )^future ] - but so far it (and the examples I opened) shows just enough to tease me as I skip T2x and T3.0 stuff wanting the latest scoop on 3.1 and how the Audio FFT stuff can work for me - in a low bandwidth non-musical way. So far I've learned almost enough to ask my question but haven't focused enough to test that premise yet.

Last edited:
Back