Arduino 1.6.2 support

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

Edit: Here is a fourth (and likely final) beta test to support Arduino 1.6.2 and 1.6.3:

Linux 32 bit:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_122-beta4/teensyduino.32bit

Linux 64 bit:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_122-beta4/teensyduino.64bit

Macintosh:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_122-beta4/teensyduino.dmg

Windows:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_122-beta4/teensyduino.exe

From March 28: This morning Arduino released 1.6.2. This new version has quite a lot of new code which they developed privately, so I'm seeing all this new source for the first time today. Please understand I had no ability to see all this stuff until now, so it's going to take me a day or two to adapt to these new changes.

I hope to have a test release out early next week to support 1.6.2.

Last edited:
What is all this "arduino1" stuff. I wonder if there an "arduino2" coming?
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/commit/5072f6b1e0fc37fcf51ced1c78e792228de7003c
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/commit/28fe19509b5dc2d3ff3c802a78ed27d17d131609

Deletion of "unmanaged libraries" not installed by the library manager looks potentially dangerous, but seems to be opt-in for now
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/commit/603dd3cb3ae9fccde23f620e912713e59291ded1

Release notes mention changes to SPI chip select
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ReleaseNotes

Hope the Arduino vs. Arduino-factory dispute doesn't mean code is mostly developed offline and out of sight.

Library installer UI
master

commit 0755c7c00496a6842ce366a4a2a816b09e7f5fc6 1 parent 0b9223c
@cmaglie cmaglie authored on 16 May 2014
ffissore committed a day ago

Last edited:
What is all this "arduino1" stuff. I wonder if there an "arduino2" coming?

There already is, in a later commit.

I'm sorting through all this new stuff today....

Hope the Arduino vs. Arduino-factory dispute doesn't mean code is mostly developed offline and out of sight.

Me too. They pushed 123 commits yesterday, apparently developed over several months. Not nice!

Looks like the Mac version has moved to Java 1.8 (previously it was 1.6 and 1.7). Windows and Linux are still Java 1.7.

At least this time they built the 2 Windows downloads with the same Java.

Stuff in the Linux builds has changed too. It no longer builds inside a VirtualBox virtual machine on a shared folder, apparently due to a requirement for filesystem hard links. I need to either fix this, or change to a different way to rebuild the Linux versions. Virtual machines with shared folders are how I've always done this....

The Mac versions also doesn't build, due to an undefined symbol in build.xml. I still haven't figured that out yet.

Amazingly, the Windows build works. Still terribly slow, but currently the only one my build systems can actually build.

The Mac versions also doesn't build, due to an undefined symbol in build.xml. I still haven't figured that out yet.

Amazingly, the Windows build works. Still terribly slow, but currently the only one my build systems can actually build.

This is not really a problem since the Linux version fails to start anyway!

Looks like they needed some sort of media hype for "Arduino Day", so they simply released some half baked alpha code.

To me Frederico Fissore seemed like someone who really wants to push the project forward. I am really disappointed. Is this the proof that Arduino.cc is now a normal company where the business managers decide when a new release is to be made?

Eberhard

If I read right - Arduino.cc posted working built IDE's - but Paul's dev environment can't re-create it from published components, yet.

Arduino Day needed something for splash with the other issues in the air, and this may feed into that as well - but that is another thread.

That's awful sloppy - and just a bit beyond comprehension - and as noted on github lacking in real sense to do that on a day of mass appeal - on a weekend.

But - hey it's only Linux and nobody paid for it . . .

If I read right - Arduino.cc posted working built IDE's - but Paul's dev environment can't re-create it from published components, yet.

I worked around the virtualbox issue with this hack:

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/A...mmit/8fd2876ab1f7e063cdfe03f09a42634f25ab5156

I don't need a full rebuild of all the package stuff. I really only need a recompile of the java code.

Java 8u40 setup on my Mac is still on the TO-DO list, probably this afternoon. But first, I'm going to put a little time into fixing that compiler error issue exposed by the Eigen library. That's a really serious bug which absolutely must be fixed.

Just another quick update...

I got all the Teensyduino patches adapted to Arduino 1.6.2. I've fixed the terrible bug with error messages not appearing.

I also spent some time to add a much-needed feature to show when 2 or more libraries conflict, which has been a long-standing problem with Arduino leading to a lot of confusion and grief. I spent a little time this morning to contribute that features upstream to Arduino.

After a little rest, I'm catching up to forum messages and email I've missed over the last couple days. Later this evening I'm planning to put together a first Teensyduino beta test, with 1.6.2 support.

I might hold off a full Teensyduino 1.22 release for a week or two. There's enough bad bugs turning up in 1.6.2 that I believe the Arduino devs will very likely release 1.6.3 within a matter of days.

Ha, I wonder if their stereo goes to 11.

They just took 1.6.1, added in half-baked Arduino Zero code (an early and buggy version from when they still had access), tossed in a motion sensor library and called it 1.7.0. Crazy.

Clearly they're getting desperate, as Arduino releases new versions with actual new features and improvements.

If it turns into a real problem (people actually try to install Teensyduino believing it's really Arduino's code), I'll add some sort of detection. But unless people start really having trouble, I'm going to just ignore Smart Projects. They really have nothing of value.

Would it be worth while offering a 'prebuilt' teensyduino on your downloads page at least until the dust settles? The current setup links you to the 1.6.2 page, which will presumably turn into 1.6.3 shortly.

I know the plan has always been that unlike other Arduino offshoots with hacked IDEs you can run Teensy from your main install and have it 'just work' but when the developers are playing games it seems like a safer way to get users started without tears.

They pushed 123 commits yesterday, apparently developed over several months. Not nice!

I was wondering why Arduino 1.6.2 felt so "Javishy", that explains it. Not that I resent Apps that are based on Java, but the IDE is certainly loosing the robust grip it kind of had before. Speaking from the user point of view.

Would it be worth while offering a 'prebuilt' teensyduino on your downloads page at least until the dust settles?

I've always resisted doing that. I did for a short time in the Teensy 3.0 beta testing, but my goal has always been to avoid a complete fork. It's easier, and everyone else like me does it (probably because it's easier), but I've never been about taking the easiest path.

But I do believe it's time to start hosting a copy of the actual Arduino IDE files together with the Teensyduino installers. Then there'll be a set of everything needed, with version that agree, all from the same page.

I know the plan has always been that unlike other Arduino offshoots with hacked IDEs you can run Teensy from your main install and have it 'just work' but when the developers are playing games it seems like a safer way to get users started without tears.

If the situation becomes much worse, of course I'll reconsider. But I really don't think it's going to get worse.

Sure, the Arduino guys are at war with Musto & Smart Projects. Releasing faster with features like this dynamic update gives them some advantage. But I'm pretty sure they also really want to retain the goodwill and support of a large community of 3rd party makers, even if we sell boards somewhat in competition to theirs. The huge community support is what makes them the authority and the software everyone turns to. Musto's obviously going to try drawing people away and onto his version. Already they're both publishing a lot of rhetoric aimed at convincing all of us to trust them the one true future of Arduino as a platform.

Right now, I know the Arduino devs are hearing a lot of angry comments about how 1.6.2 broke 3rd party boards and software. I don't believe they meant to do so. They probably just underestimated the difficulty of such a large release without any community beta testing, nightly builds or release candidates. I'm pretty sure we're going to see 1.6.3 by the end of this week, and probably a more careful approach on future releases.

1.22b1 on my Win7x64 with IDE1.6.1 seems good uploading a few sketches to/with 1 or 2 3.1's. I removed the Eigen - but poorly and hastily restored I got what could useful feedback:

C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Temp\build4508033603628048666.tmp\Eigen_Sample_Script_313.cpp.o
In file included from i:\teensy161b122\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.4\tuple:39:0,
from i:\teensy161b122\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.4\functional:55,
from C:\tCode\libraries\Eigen313/Core:141,
from C:\tCode\libraries\Eigen313/Eigen313.h:35,
from Eigen_Sample_Script_313.ino:5:
C:\tCode\libraries\Eigen313/array:8:4: error: #error The Eigen/Array header does no longer exist in Eigen3. All that functionality has moved to Eigen/Core.
#error The Eigen/Array header does no longer exist in Eigen3. All that functionality has moved to Eigen/Core.
^
In file included from i:\teensy161b122\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.4\functional:55:0,
from C:\tCode\libraries\Eigen313/Core:141,
from C:\tCode\libraries\Eigen313/Eigen313.h:35,
from Eigen_Sample_Script_313.ino:5:
i:\teensy161b122\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.4\tuple:883:33: error: 'array' was not declared in this scope
struct __is_tuple_like_impl<array<_Tp, _Nm>> : true_type
^
i:\teensy161b122\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.4\tuple:883:44: error: wrong number of template arguments (2, should be 1)
^
i:\teensy161b122\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.4\tuple:871:12: error: provided for 'template<class> struct std::__is_tuple_like_impl'
struct __is_tuple_like_impl : false_type
^
i:\teensy161b122\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\4.8.4\tuple:883:47: error: expected unqualified-id before '>' token
^
Error compiling.

Yup, that's what I saw here while testing the fixed error reporting code.

I looked briefly at the Eigen code, but it's a lot of files in a directory hierarchy, and almost all of them are without filename extensions (which defeats automatic syntax highlighting in vim). I spent about 10 minutes digging, but didn't see anything obvious.

Still, the same code builds without any error on Linux. The only real difference is the case sensitivity for filenames? Maybe there's some #include that brings in the wrong thing on Windows, but the right code on Linux? Maybe there's another file somewhere with the same name, but different upper/lower case letters, which Eigen is supposed to ignore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back