Arduino Eclipse 2.4 works with Teensyduino 1.22 &Teensy LC

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right. I had forgotten that the Arduino team decided since 1.5.7 not to ship Arduino with a make utility on the Windows platform anymore. I wonder sometimes what those folks are smoking :/

Until very recently, they were shipping binary packages built by others. Each came with lots of unintended stuff.

Only about a year ago did they actually take on building and packaging the toolchains themselves.

The really unfortunate part is Microsoft doesn't have a standard toolchain that's free and installed by default or very easy to add, like Linux and Macintosh do. The ever-changing Visual Studio is awesome in so many ways, but a long-term dependable set of base tools it is not.

Until very recently, they were shipping binary packages built by others. Each came with lots of unintended stuff.

Only about a year ago did they actually take on building and packaging the toolchains themselves.

The really unfortunate part is Microsoft doesn't have a standard toolchain that's free and installed by default or very easy to add, like Linux and Macintosh do. The ever-changing Visual Studio is awesome in so many ways, but a long-term dependable set of base tools it is not.

Well that has to get a rise out of me! Visual Studio 2013 and newer is changed for the better in that it's free. As is Visual Micro which brings Arduino IDE and Teensy compatibility. These use GCC of course.
GCC has been around a few years (!). So too Visual Studio (1993). Microsoft deserves some rare kudos for opening VS up and encouraging its used for embedded systems.
Others may prefer the $90 VisualGDB which is another excellent plug-in for free VS. It too uses GCC and can target any MCU that GCC supports.

So the criticism that MS has no toolchain that's free - seems incorrect, in that VS Community is free, And GCC w/Visual Micro are free and very easy to install.
I can boot my PC to Linux Mint and do so now and then, but my professional endeavors keep me using Windows. And I don't think I'm in the minority on that.

Last edited:
I got this installed since I'm hopefully back to tinkering with teensy. Looks great! OMG, what a relief is to have eclipse for arduino. TY.

It would be nice to pass in arguments (or a config file) for setting the paths/preferences, so it would be possible to package it all up, and have it work from the first launch.
As someone else said, it would make sense to have *.ino files included, esp. cause it's called Eclipse Arduino.

The plugin works with .ino files as well. I've only tried it once and have forgotten how to set this up as I usually work with .cpp and .h files.
I believe you need to add .ino and .pde to the C++ file types.
Also, when you create a new project, somewhere in the process it allows you to start either with .cpp or .ino.

If you like the Arduino Eclipse IDE I would encourage you to donate to the project through their web site. Everything helps. One would assume with several hundred installations and several tenthousand compilations and uploads monthly they get enough money to get at least the web server cost of ~€50 covered but this is not the case!

My upload seems to have issues. I can occasionally get it to upload, but not certain what the right combination is. I think pressing the reset button, got it to work, but it also seems to cause an issue with moving the teensy from /dev/ttyACM0 to /dev/ttyACM1. And that only seems to work once. And for the teensy loader, do I press the green "Auto" button, but that also resets to off each time though.

It seems to report success, but from my serial output, I can see it doesn't have the new hex.

Here's what's in the console of eclipse:

Starting upload
using arduino loader

Launching ~/eclipseArduino1/arduino-1.6.5/hardware/tools/teensy_post_compile -file=dacTest -path=~/eclipseArduino1/eclipseArduino/workspace/dacTest/Release -tools=~/eclipseArduino1/arduino-1.6.5/hardware/tools -board=TEENSY31 -reboot
Output:
Teensy did not respond to a USB-based request to automatically reboot.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.
teensy_post_compile finished
upload done

Edit:

It looks like that I have to remove the serial port manually from the console (/dev/ttyACM0) each time, before uploading, or else it causes a problem. Is there to have that done automatically before uploading, when pressing the upload button. It's a little disconcerting to get a "upload done" message when the upload is not done. Does that just mean that it transferred it to the teensy loader, but not actually to the teensy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back