Teensy 3.1 / LC - I2C slave pullups on SCL and SDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a current project which piggy-backs one Teensy 3.1 or Teensy-LC directly on top of another. One will be configured for MIDI over USB, the other for Serial over USB. The intention is that the two boards communicate with each other through the 'Wire' interface, one a master and one a slave.

Since the connection between them is only millimeters long, and these lines don't go anywhere else, does anyone have an opinion on whether I can simply use "pinMode({slave SCL pin / slave SDA pin}, INPUT_PULLUP); to provide enough pullup current reliably on the bus ?

Also - SDA will be an input sometimes, and an output sometimes, so would "INPUT_PULLUP" be 'sticky' or would I need to confirm it again every time that a device dropped back to "listening mode" ?

Last edited:
The internal pull-ups have a fairly large resistance, so if it works at all you might have to use low clock speed (I'd start with something like 10 kHz). They are also not equal between the 3.1 and the LC. I'd simply add external pull-ups with a known value and be done with it.

You won't have to reconfigure the input mode during I²C communication, the hardware takes care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back