Big soldering problem (Teensy 3.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yekohat

* Warning, this post can contains bad english *

Hi all !

I think that I have a big problem now.
Firstly, I broke the pre-installed micro-usb port.
I tired to resolder another but grey squares (sorry I don't know what it is) where tin is, disappeared. (maybe I let the soldering iron too much time on the board)
So, I saw the second way to program Teensy under the board (VUSB, D+, D-, GND).
But ... I did the same mistake : grey square of D+ disappeared too.

Anyone as a way to repair this ? Program Teensy by another way or repair "grey squares" ?

Thanks in advance,
Yeko

Last edited:
Thank you for your fast answer !

I already tested this but solder pad of D+ disappeared too like on this photo :( IMG_20150418_094332.jpg

Just checking - you are using a soldering iron intended for electronics, right? Not some massive thing intended for plumbing, like joining copper pipes and so on?

As above; by the sounds of it you've burnt off the solder pads. What sort of specification soldering iron are you using?

Not an easy one to fix and nearly impossible to fix reliably.

Save yourself the effort and bother and buy a new board would be my advice.

Yes it's a electronics soldering iron (40 W), I used it a lot but I never had a problem like this ...

There is really no way to fix this ?

Guys, I found a way to fix this !

After searching a lot next to the D- broken solder pad, I found a mini circle joined to this D- (as you can see on this photo)
It's not my teensy, just a pic where I show you where is this "mini-circle". Maybe you will need to zoom on the picture.

teensy.png

I scratched this circle and his path to the D- pad.
Then I wired all pads to a USB B male with kynar wire and finally I used cynoacrylate to glue it, final work :
teensy3.jpgteensy 2.png

Even I found myself how to fix this, I was happy to see some people help me :)
I'm going to post this on the "How to repair a broken-off Teensy USB Port" to help others.

Thank you all ;)

Last edited:
Congrats on the repair. You'll need to make sure you have a good mechanical mounting to the PCB to stop any repeat of this little adventure and for reference the roughly standard English name for the copper squares you solder to are 'pads' and the little circle going through the board is a 'via' as in 'going via the city' since it's routing the signal between board layers.

With the pad lifting I'd be saying that the iron is to hot, so if it's adjustable winding it down a touch may help. If it's not then you may need to think about getting one that is since it'll make this sort of job easier. Surface mount soldering is always harder than through hole since the holes provide some mechanical support when you heat things up, where working to the pads the only thing holding it down is the glue bonding copper to the substrate and that will soften if heated far enough so you need to be quick in applying the iron and be very careful to avoid force being applied from whatever you are soldering.

Thanks Gremlin, now I will try to don't use "roughly English" !

Unfortunaly, it's not a adjustable winding so I think that I will buy another.

It has happened to me too and I consider myself good at soldering. I think it was the #26 pad on the bottom. I had a 90° bent header pin soldered on and when I wanted to de-solder it, I pulled it off too soon with the pad. I was able to tap into the eensy weensy trace from that pad later on.

Hi guys, don't know if I should have created a new thread or not but a sad thing happened with the USB plug on my Teensy 3.0. Having a bunch of other newer Teensy's and shields, I regard it as a vintage product and kind of value it. So the USB plug came off because I accidentally took out the Teensy with the USB plugged while it was on a breadboard. Bad mistake :(

How does anyone suggest fixing this? Just solder it? Note how the soldering points came off too.

Here are some photos:
http://i.imgur.com/hjOIvJr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3hJvRee.jpg

Hi Mixnia, I got the same problem, that's why I created this topic.

Unfortunately, I didn't find a way to re-solder this Micro USB port.
But I found, on the back of my Teensy (3.1) some vias (that I named "mini-circles" in my old post) which helped me.
Look at my post #7, with photos :
Guys, I found a way to fix this !

After searching a lot next to the D- broken solder pad, I found a mini circle joined to this D- (as you can see on this photo)
It's not my teensy, just a pic where I show you where is this "mini-circle". Maybe you will need to zoom on the picture.

View attachment 4127

I scratched this circle and his path to the D- pad.
Then I wired all pads to a USB B male with kynar wire and finally I used cynoacrylate to glue it, final work :
View attachment 4128View attachment 4129

In my case, I wired and glued a USB B Male, but you can use another port Female if you want, you just have to find how to wire and glue it.
Hope I helped you :p
Yeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back