Possible to use Teensy to interface FAT filesystem on Serial Flash and PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

capsid

Hi! I'm wondering if its possible to program Teensy such that it can show up as a USB Mass Storage Device when plugged into a PC or Mac. I have used sdfatlib and teensy 3 + microSD shield before to transfer files between a computer and teensy, but I'm wondering if its possible to use Serial Flash instead and eliminate the need for the user to swap SD cards around everytime they want to make a file transfer. My understanding is that this isn't possible with Teensy but I just want to confirm.

Bonus question if it is possible: Can the Teensy be programmed such that it reads a firmware file off of the FAT filesystem and reprograms itself with that file?

Thanks so much for your insight! :)

From other discussions, the Teensy 2.0 had the ability to act as a USB mass storage device, but the software doesn't work on the Teensy 3.0/3.1/LC. Given how busy Paul is, I suspect until somebody writes the software for the Teensy 3.0/3.1/LC, it won't get done.

It isn't possible to update the firmware of a Teensy from a SD card or USB device using the normal methods. You could however write an interpreter (or execute somebody else's) on the Teensy, and have it interpret files on the SD card (or flash memory).

Last edited:
From other discussions, the Teensy 2.0 had the ability to act as a USB mass storage device, but the software doesn't work on the Teensy 3.0/3.1/LC. Given how busy Paul is, I suspect until somebody writes the software for the Teensy 3.0/3.1/LC, it won't get done.

MTP is on my TO-DO list for later this year.

I'm not planning to do MSC again, due to the difficulty of sharing the files with the application running on Teensy.

I used the uTasker project to give access to the SD card over USB. I can jump from an Arduino sketch to the uTasker application, update files, then jump back to the Arduino sketch. This is the best solution I found as of now, but after Paul implements MTP, I'll most likely use that instead.
Forum Post with Details

Is there any update or details on MTP?

No, not really. I started some work on it months ago, but basically got onto the point of descriptors which allow a PC to recognize it. So far there's no code to actually respond to the many MTP specific requests.

This and other things got put on hold to work on Teensy 3.5 & 3.6. I'll probably get back to MTP (and a lot of other stuff) in 2017...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back