Teensy Drum Machine build

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeist

Hey Every one!

First of all id like to thank Paul (and everyone else) for the hard work on Teensy, the Audio board, and the library. From the first day I've heard about it I started dreaming of an Elenktron style drum machine based on Teensy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1UVMhnrFA

So lately I had some time to poke around and experiment a bit. I managed to make a dirty pitch shifter for the AudioPlayMemory class. It sounds horrible with anything set slower than 1. Kind of digital 8 bit crusher/ring modulator. (video 0:24). Though negative speeds (reverse) works nicely.
I tried implementing linear interpolation to smooth out the waveform at lower speeds but after reading through some stuff I discovered that this can be eliminated with an anti aliasing filter. So I tried using a low pass filter object that would sweet based on the speed. But here I discovered that the filter "crashes" and makes horrible noises if the frequency is set to anything bigger than 15280hz.. Any ideas on that?

I also discovered some issues with the Envelope class. When the sustain level is set to anything but 1. There is a weird clicking sound at the end of the decay phase. no matter what the decay and release values are. Even if the decay is very low and the sound is totally off, there will be a little click in the end.. I cant seem to figure it out. It can clearly be seen in the wave form how it just cuts it. adsrChopping.jpg

also you can hear it with this based on the play from memory example, or in the first seconds in the video

Code:
AudioPlayMemory    sound3;
AudioEffectEnvelope      envelope1; 
AudioMixer4        mix1;    // two 4-channel mixers are needed in
AudioMixer4        mix2;    // tandem to combine 6 audio sources
AudioOutputI2S     headphones;
AudioOutputAnalog  dac;     // play to both I2S audio board and on-chip DAC

AudioConnection e4(sound3, 0, envelope1, 0);
AudioConnection c4(envelope1, 0, mix1, 3);
AudioConnection c5(mix1, 0, mix2, 0);   // output of mix1 into 1st input on mix2
AudioConnection c8(mix2, 0, headphones, 0);
AudioConnection c9(mix2, 0, headphones, 1);
AudioConnection c10(mix2, 0, dac, 0);

AudioControlSGTL5000 audioShield;

void setup() {

AudioMemory(10);

// turn on the output
  audioShield.enable();
  audioShield.volume(0.9);

// by default the Teensy 3.1 DAC uses 3.3Vp-p output
  // if your 3.3V power has noise, switching to the
  // internal 1.2V reference can give you a clean signal
  dac.analogReference(INTERNAL);

// reduce the gain on mixer channels, so more than 1
  // sound can play simultaneously without clipping
  mix1.gain(0, 0.4);
  mix1.gain(1, 0.4);
  mix1.gain(2, 0.4);
  mix1.gain(3, 0.4);
  mix2.gain(1, 0.4);
  mix2.gain(2, 0.4);

envelope1.sustain(0.0);
  envelope1.decay(350);
  envelope1.release(350);
}

int lastPlayed;
int noteDuration=300;
int noteInterval=600;
boolean isPlaying=false;

void loop() {
  if ((millis()-lastPlayed)>noteInterval){
    lastPlayed=millis();
    sound3.play(AudioSampleKick);
    envelope1.noteOn();
    isPlaying=true;
  } else if (((millis()-lastPlayed)>noteDuration)&&(isPlaying)){
    envelope1.noteOff();
    isPlaying=false;
  }

}

Will try to port some code for pitch shifting for the wave sd playback, probably should do it with a circular buffer? I haven't done much dsp programming before, so any one willing to guide and help me, I would love to develop these features and contribute them back to the library.

Also been experimenting with "analong modeling" and recreating drum sounds with just sine waves and noise :)
https://soundcloud.com/acidinterpolation/teensy-drum-synthesis

Aah and finally I was wondering if it possible to make the Mozzi library run through the Audio shield? It does work with the DAC pin output.

Last edited:
If anyone's still watching this old thread, I've *finally* fixed this long-standing limitation in the envelope effect. The fix is on github now, and will be released in Teensyduino 1.37 in June-July 2017 time frame.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/Audio/commit/8a5d715dda3903d82d4ebc1aececa40131281014

I increased the internal numerical resolution for gain adjustment from 16 to 30 bits. The prior limit of 0.2 seconds for attack, hold, decay & release is now increased to 11.88 seconds.

I also tried to fix the pop that could occur if you call noteOff() before the sustain phase. Could really use some feedback on the effectiveness of this fix, if anyone is willing to try the latest from github...

Hey poltergeist, did you ever find a pitch shifting algorithm that worked better for this project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back