Mac Book Air using as download device to Teensy 2.0+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianb00

Hi,

I have a user in a remote corner of the planet who has a MacBook Air. The challenge is attempting a download into the Teensy 2 + from the Mac Book Air. I see there are possible tools online that can be run to overcome some issues with the serial port on the Mac Book. Has anyone here had experience with using the Teensy Loader in the Mac Book environment. I can't have this go badly as recovery will require an expensive round trip airfare.

Regards,
Brian

I use a MacBook Air (2011 edition). No issues with downloading the Arduino IDE and the teensyduino on top of that. If possible, id consider using version 1.06 of the IDE because that was known stable.

I use a MacBook Air (2011 edition). No issues with downloading the Arduino IDE and the teensyduino on top of that. If possible, id consider using version 1.06 of the IDE because that was known stable.

Thanks Constantin, I will only be using the Teensyduino. Thanks for the confirmation. I normally would test this but I don't have access to the MacBook Air.

Brian

2013 MacBook Air here, running Yosemite. No problems at all with the Arduino IDE or Teensyduino.

Brian, you must be an advanced user if all you want to use is the teensyduino environment. Even though I use Xcode along with embedxcode, I still had to install the Arduino IDE. I think of Teensyduino as an enabling technology that is layered on top of the Arduino IDE.

Constantin, so advanced that I intermingle the notion of loader with environment. What I was really asking about is the Loader to push hex files into the Teensy.....my bad. However, the answers helped and all looks feasible. I will run a test case today prior to sending code to a user located on a distant S. Pacific island.

FWIW, I do all the development and testing of the Mac version of Teensy Loader and Teensyduino on a late-2011 Macbook Pro which runs OS-X version 10.7.5. I intentionally do NOT upgrade to Yosemite, so the software is tested on 10.7 and should work on later versions. It also should work on 10.6 and 10.5, but I no longer test those old versions.

When you send files, I highly recommend sending both the .HEX and .ELF files, if you have them both. Even though you only open the .HEX file with Teensy Loader, it will also read the .ELF file if it's present in the same directory. The extra .ELF file allows for a check that the Teensy board matches the compiler settings. Without the .ELF file, this can not be checked, so Teensy Loader writes the .HEX data without any extra checks to verify it is meant for the particular Teensy model.

Thanks Paul for the detail. I will dry run the exercise on a Mac Book Pro and hope for the best when my user applies the loader. I have always sent the .ELF to past user upgrades, per your previous suggestion.
Thanks,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back