PCB-production

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the 0603s arrived...OMG...
Good that i ordered 100pcs per value....you can inhale them accidentally..

With my glasses: Mission impossible.
Hopefully the magnifiers help(?) - they arrive in the next days...

Hmmm....something just occurred to me. We are talking about 0603 in Inch not metric right ?
I've mistake the mistake once not watching it and ordered 0404 in metric. Dust!

SMD Case Sizes - Inch and Metric.png

Hmmm....something just occurred to me. We are talking about 0603 in Inch not metric right ?

View attachment 4713

WTF ?? I never imagined that there both units are possible!
In Eagle I used the R-EU_R0603 (R-EU_) Package.

Perhaps I ordered false too..
I'll check this tommorow (Too late now)
Hell...why does the industry use both units ????
The international standard is "metric"!

Last edited:
With a good binocular microscope, I've found rework on 0402 size parts is not much of a problem, and a co-worker even did it easily using head-mounted magnifiers (I never got the hang of those). 0201 is more tricky, fortunately I've never had a need to do that. This was at work. At home I don't have the nice microscope and I stick to 0603 or larger. I never paid attention to the metric possibilities, always assumed those were fractional inches, so for example 0603 is about 0.06 x 0.03 inches in size.

...the 0603s arrived...OMG...
Good that i ordered 100pcs per value....you can inhale them accidentally..

With my glasses: Mission impossible.
Hopefully the magnifiers help(?) - they arrive in the next days...

Forgot to mention you might need some tweezers :)
I have a 3x magnifier with a small 8x window and sometimes I wish I had something around 14-20x.

View attachment 4713

I see that Frank is from Germany and in Europe when we refer to 0603 cases, we *usually* mean 1608 metric (1.6x0.8mm).
The metric 0603 is modern phone size grains of dust, no use trying anything under 0402 imperial (1.0x0.5mm!!) with human hands, imo. 0805 are the best if you have enough space.
I hate that some of the sizing codes are the same for both imperial and metric, and that sometimes causes a lot of confusion.

WTF ?? I never imagined that there both units are possible!
In Eagle I used the R-EU_R0603 (R-EU_) Package.

Perhaps I ordered false too..
I'll check this tommorow (Too late now)
Hell...why does the industry use both units ????
The international standard is "metric"!

If you order through Farnell for example, their case reference looks like this: 0603 (1608 metric) and is equal to R-EU_R0603 in Eagle.

10993416_10206029718765456_9138423627057313138_n.jpg

Here you can see most parts in 0402 imperial.
I forgot to order the correct resistors so the two up top (2200) are 0603 placed on 0402 pads :)
That white thing is a standard grain of rice.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention you might need some tweezers :)
I have a 3x magnifier with a small 8x window and sometimes I wish I had something around 14-20x.

I see that Frank is from Germany and in Europe when we refer to 0603 cases, we *usually* mean 1608 metric (1.6x0.8mm).
The metric 0603 is modern phone size grains of dust, no use trying anything under 0402 imperial (1.0x0.5mm!!) with human hands, imo. 0805 are the best if you have enough space.
I hate that some of the sizing codes are the same for both imperial and metric, and that sometimes causes a lot of confusion.

If you order through Farnell for example, their case reference looks like this: 0603 (1608 metric) and is equal to R-EU_R0603 in Eagle.

View attachment 4714

Here you can see most parts in 0402 imperial.
I forgot to order the correct resistors so the two up top (2200) are 0603 placed on 0402 pads :)
That white thing is a standard grain of rice.

Ok , obviously I chosed the wrong size .
The parts ordered are suitable for the board , but that's just too small for me. I give it all together with the boards ( students from Europe preferred) - for free - Just send me a PM if you want them.

This Board is my personal Mars_Climate_Orbiter
:)
I design it anew -
I'm getting a bit of practice with Eagle - Everything has its pros and cons.

Last edited:
Nicht so leicht aufgeben! - Don't give up!

Put Trio Live '82 "Kummer" on the Stereo, get a glass of wine, use the magnifiers and a very good set of electronic tweezers.

Yeah, I only use the 'US' aka imperial 0603 size for decoupling capacitors. Everything else is 0805 to keep things 'Tierfreundlich".

Nicht so leicht aufgeben! - Don't give up!

Put Trio Live '82 "Kummer" on the Stereo, get a glass of wine, use the magnifiers and a very good set of electronic tweezers.

Yeah, I only use the 'US' aka imperial 0603 size for decoupling capacitors. Everything else is 0805 to keep things 'Tierfreundlich".

In den 80ern habe ich eher Punkrock gehört :)
I wait the 3 weeks for the Board and try it..

My 0603 came in from Farnell today and I made the same mistake! Metric 0603 grains of sand. Doh!
I was in a hurry to make the order by 5pm :/

:)

The boards arrived, and i thought that i could try to solder the 0603 resistors and capacitors..
It was surprisingly easy ! Well, it does not look very nice, but I have measured and it works. Good enough for me.

Unfortunately, Logics ICs (74...) have not been delivered, so i have to wait ....

Edit: Conrad war schonmal schneller...grummel...

Last edited:
Thank you all !

The remaining parts arrived. A first quick test showed that is much better now, no problems at full speed so far (I'll write a better "RAMTEST.ino" in the next days).
Great.
The 74LCX + additional capacitors did the magic.

I learned, that it's not too hard to solder such small parts - even for me, who never soldered smaller parts than SOIC-8 and needs glasses :)
And...i have some practise with eagle now, and know some little tricks.

This forum is the best :)
Thanks for all the useful hints!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back