Maker Faire 2015 at San Mateo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

I'll be at Maker Faire this weekend, Friday through Sunday (May 15-17).

I've agreed to help the Freescale guys this time, so I'll be around their booth around half of the Faire hours. If anyone's there and wants to chat in person, come by and let's chat.

This year I'm NOT taking a laptop. I probably will be out of email and forum contact until Monday.

Was wondering if they used the NXP name yet, but I just checked their website, not even a single reference to NXP on their main homepage. Would be nice to here if these guys have any news/thoughts on the consequences of the merger
Asked if they plan to adjust the two companies’ ARM Cortex-M microcontroller lines, Clemmer said that those are the details that NXP needs to deal with, after the completion of the merger, in terms of “product selection.”

@Paul
I am currently scanning through the "Live from Bay Area Maker Faire 2015" videos on youtube. 17 hours of video!
Wondering if they also talked to you.
Keynote speech Massimo Banzi: The State of Arduino. I like the sheet at 7:36

Last edited:
I didn't do any video interviews, and PJRC doesn't register on Maker Media's list of "important" companies (ones who pay 5+ digit sponsor fees) so it's unlikely you'll find me anywhere in those 17 hours of footage.

The nice thing was that they mostly talked to 'normal' people in the live videos.
In Massimo's speech, on the sheet with libraries, 3 out of the 4 libraries he showed came from you. Just getting lucky I guess.

In Massimo's speech, on the sheet with libraries, 3 out of the 4 libraries he showed came from you. Just getting lucky I guess.

LOL

Sorry to miss you Paul. I only had 2 hours at Maker Faire & didn't readily see freescale's booth. Do you have a picture of anything you demo'd?

Maybe next year we can have a teensy & beers event afterwards. I'm guessing there's several here who are in the bay area or make it to maker faire.

I think next year I'll keep the hotel Sunday night, so I can stay late for the Bring-A-Hack afterparty.

All makers are welcome to attend... but you have to bring a hack!

Smart pivot on the part of Arduino to go for Adafruit in the US and use/claim their uncontested US trademark while using Genuino in the contested areas of the world.

The IDE upgrades are also interesting - finally a semblance of order entering the IDE re: the adoption / discovery of libraries, etc. The proof however, is in the pudding, i.e. maintaining that mountain of libraries to ensure they actually work with everything as intended. With all these new hardware partners, the Arduino.cc folk risk splintering the Arduino movement as the hardware platforms multiply and interoperability issues arise.

The presentation certainly wanted to suggest that Arduino.cc is rocketing ahead in terms of projects, partners, etc. Delivering on the promises may be harder, however. In particular, it is still unclear to me how Arduino.cc will pay for the ever expanding cadre of folk on the basis of trademarks alone. I wish them the best of luck, especially as it pertains to closing the chapter on the Arduino.org mess.

Looks like the Arduino SRL folks finally created a forum.

http://labs.arduino.org/tiki-forums.php

This will really be the indication whether they're able to build any community. The real Arduino guys aren't known for monitoring and responding much on their own forum, so the bar isn't raised very high. Still, I'd guess the odds are very long they'll gain much real community.

I looked at their booth at Maker Faire and chatted with a few of them for a while. They're working on a LOT of boards, mostly different flavors of Yun. One appears to be meant to compete with Tre, using a 560 MHz chip with more memory connected, with info about javascript-based IDE which reads exactly like the stuff Ardiuno.cc announced a year ago for Tre. SRL (aka Linino & cc logistics) seemed to be all about releasing more hardware. I got the feeling they're under the impression the community will magically create code for whatever hardware they make... which works if they copy from the real Arduino, but I believe they're going to be in for a rude awakening as they try to do anything that isn't following closely in Arduino LLC's footsteps.

They're also releasing a board called "M0", which is Zero without the debug chip.

One of their boards was "free dog" based on a Freescale chip and what looked like Yun, and "dog leash" as a jtag/swd debug cable. I'd seen these on the Linino website before, but this is the first time I'd actually seen the real boards. None of them seemed to know much about it. It looked like a they copied one of Freescale's Freedom boards, not Teensy. Musto stepped in briefly and said the project was dead because Freescale stopped communicating with them suddenly and wouldn't even return his phone calls (gee, wonder why!)

The real Arduino booth was mostly about interacting with people one-on-one, showing them how to use the IDE and some boards. It wasn't about selling or promoting projects, and it was 50-50 with Atmel, just like last year.

I didn't see Massimo's speech live, but we did talk in person Friday evening briefly... though people kept coming up and interrupting with whatever thing they *really* wanted to talk about. Most of what we talked about was stuff he mentioned in the speech. Our paths didn't cross again until the final hour after closing Sunday, when we chatted for just a few minutes. PJRC and Arduino will be working more closely, though the only thing that's really planned at this time is we're going to work to the merge changes, rather than letting them go unused.

Last edited:
The risk with any forum is the maintenance. You either need a cadre of motivated users and unpaid administrators (arduino.cc) or you take a more hands-on approach to answering questions and communicating with the community (PJRC.com). Arduino.cc got extremely lucky that the community is essentially running the forums for them - this is quite unusual for an affiliated web site.

IMO, nothing is quite as disheartening to a potential user as an affiliated forum that no one is using and that is filled with unanswered questions. MCP has that issue for their analog front ends, for example. Arduino.org also seems to be going down the 'crickets' path. At the very least, they need to prime the pump by providing excellent tech support until a community can build around their site. Last I looked, they didn't bother.

The best news in the forums is an announcement that EmbedxCode works with the Arduino.org hardware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back