ESP8266 at 4.2V (LIPO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joegi

I would like to power a Teensy3.1 together with a ESP8266 with a 3.7V(-4.2V) LIPO.
My question now is, if there is someone who had success with connecting a LIPO (with 4.2V at full charge) to an (any) ESP8266 module? I have a few and could test it myself, but if you tell me that 4.2V will definitely destroy it, I would not have to sacrifice one! Thanks for the answers in advance!

Hi Joegi,

The ESP8266 must be powered by 3V3. Although the max ratings are not explicitely mentioned in the datasheet [https://nurdspace.nl/images/e/e0/ESP8266_Specifications_English.pdf], the schematic shows 3V3 only. Also the powercomsumption is stated at 3V3. So 4.2V will definitely destroy it.
The maximum powerconsumtion is 215mA, this means that you can not power it from the Teensy's 3V3 [120mA max] unfortunately...a separate supply is required.

Paul

I'd strongly recommend against powering the ESP8266 (or any radio device for that matter) without a regulated power supply, regardless of whether 4.2v would kill it or not.
There are several ultra-low dropout 3.3v regulators out there you could use. Have a search through your preferred distributor.

Alternatively, for the sake of power efficiency, you could use a switching regulator as-long as you've filtered it properly. If you do so, try and pick a regulator with a switching frequency above 100khz or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back