Wiznet W5500 support

FYI: I have purchased 21 of these USR-ES1's from alibaba with 4 of them being DOA. That about a 20% failure rate. 2 of those clearly had components not completely soldered, of which one I was able to hand-fix. Trying to communicate the problem with the vendor got me nowhere.

Those that work have worked fine and they are way less expensive than the Wiz850io. I will now order spares so I don't turn up short.

Last edited:
I have just one of them here. While it works, the build quality looks terrible. Lots of crooked parts and poor soldering.

I also have heard that some of them that are DOA are because the crystal is backwards?

8 bit Wiznet modules / 8051 drivers ?

Hello,

I am a new user here and am just now looking into Ethernet modules. I am building several projects using the Silicon Labs C8051F340. I may wish to purchase some Ethernet modules and wonder if there are decent modules still available that allow direct 8 bit interfacing ? If they're older/buggy modules, then perhaps I'd go with SPI.

My C8051F340's DO have a SPI port - but I believe 8 bit parallel interfacing would be slightly simpler.

Also, I'm curious if anyone knows of a decent 8051 driver for the Wiznet modules ? I assume I'd be able to port an Arduino driver - but would like to avoid the time that'd take me.

Thanks in advance for all advice !

Hello,

I am a new user here and am just now looking into Ethernet modules. I am building several projects using the Silicon Labs C8051F340. I may wish to purchase some Ethernet modules and wonder if there are decent modules still available that allow direct 8 bit interfacing ? If they're older/buggy modules, then perhaps I'd go with SPI.

My C8051F340's DO have a SPI port - but I believe 8 bit parallel interfacing would be slightly simpler.

Also, I'm curious if anyone knows of a decent 8051 driver for the Wiznet modules ? I assume I'd be able to port an Arduino driver - but would like to avoid the time that'd take me.

Thanks in advance for all advice !

I may be out of place saying this but if this project does not involve a teensy product most here will be reluctant to help because it’s off topic etc... perhaps a user group or forum involving silicon labs 8 bit architectures or the wiznet forums would be a better place to post this.

Just an update on the w5500 chip I was able to successfully implement it in a custom teensy board. After learning more about the crystal I realized my earlier post in this topic was incorrect. It should not matter what direction the crystal is placed. As I understand, its the more complex crystal oscillators that do have a specific direction they need to be installed whereas the one wiznet recommends (standard crystal) should not matter.

I can confirm the chinese modules are horrible, 2 broken out of 4 or 5 used... I went with the original Wiz850io, they are expensive but they work.

Not surprised. I have 1 of the Chinese WIZ850io clones here. It works, but looking at the PCB under a microscope the build quality is really shoddy. All parts are crooked are poorly soldered.

I used the SODIAL(R) W5500 module TCP/IP Ethernet module compatible with WIZ820io on CCR v1 and v2 boards last year and earlier this year and had a falcon FPP driving the boards.
Worked fine, sort of! but we had to play with changes to the driver to get it to work.
So I was testing and crees was suggesting the changes. I can look through the notes to see what we ended up with, but basically it was changing stuff with the buffers.

How many universes are you using. I have some code that I am testing that should work well

Back