Has anyone used Teensy 3.1 with Adafruit Bluetooth LE for android communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardFerraro

I would like to communicate with a Teensy 3.1 and my Samsung Note 4.

It appears that the Adafruit Bluetooth LE might be a good candidate for the Bluetooth communication.

Has anyone tried this?

thanks,

Richard

Note, I believe older Androids did not support BLE, so you might want to check whether Note 4 supports it. I suspect it is new enough that it should, but I haven't used anything newer than Samsung S2.

Note 4 is what I have and it has BLE support - it is the latest model - Fall 2014 - before the new S6 - I'm not sure when Samsung added that - I think it was the at least the S5 before the Note 4. I know my LG phone had BLE mid 2013 when it was released. Android was slow to support it - later in the 4.x builds. My Note 4 has #5-lollipop and works with the BLE KS_PebbleBee - and so does my 2013 LG G pro on #4-KitKat

I have not wired any BLE to Teensy. Not sure what to use on the Android end for a terminal or program to test if I did. I came across two published variants of a 'stock SDK' app it seems - but never tried. I got a decent USB app - but I'm not sure it maps to BLE.

I think I got these in BLE from DigiSpark - but not connected - they work on the ATtiny: http://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/tutorials/ble

@stevech: If you had a BLE device - and OS support - it should just show as 'another bluetooth' to pair - it may have different type and features at that point. The PebbleBee's I noted are just "Paired" in the Bluetooth list on both LG and Note 4.

I also did KS_SALT that is a BLE ( aka Bluetooth Smart ) - and their IOS app didn't work until a couple updates after a IOS 8.x bugfix updates were released. The SALT is a security key of sorts and doesn't show on 'paired' list - it must be internalized - but it works on my KitKat powered LG - so they needed unique feature support on IOS to un/lock and control the device.

I thought about BLE for a project I should be finishing - but the ESP8266 looks way more sexy for connectivity (faster/longer range/co-processing/features/WiFi commonality - not much bigger and only ~1000% more mAh ) - so I have not touched that as noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back