Teensy NES? Difficulty of Bare metal Emulation, Graphic Wrappers, and Lib Installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhillard

I'd like to build a full Emulator into an NES controller. As in, an entire NES built into an NES controller. From the most recent release of the Teensy3.1, it seems possible;

As a side by side comparision;

-------------- NES--------------------------- Teensy-----------
CPU________8bit_____________________32bit
_________1.79Mhz___________________72Mhz

RAM___2Kib (+2Kib for V)____________ 64K
ROM____Supports 32KiB___________256k Flash Mem

Video____5.37Mhz____________________NA

It seems to me like the Teensy is more than up to the task computationally. I'm just slightly concerned about running the Emu as well as outputting to the TFT LCD at the same time. The plan would be to use a TFT LCD from adafruit as the display.

I'm relatively new to the Teensy, but have experience with micro controllers/processors and I'm a reasonable C++ coder. However, not good enough to code my own Emu from scratch, I was going to try and source from some C++ emu's all over the internet. For those of you with Emulation experience, what do you think of the feasibility of this project? I'm concerned about how to write out my graphics from a C++ emulator to some kind of wrapper before heading to the screen. LibSDL (here)seems like a good option, but I don't know how to install something like that on a Teensy without an OS.

Any Teensy Experts out there who can talk to me about writing large-ish bare metal programs, installing large libraries, and graphic outputs?

Ps. Yes, I can do this easily with an RPI, but it just doesn't quite fit in an NES controller (a couple tenth of an inch too large) and I want a self sustained controller/console cleanly packaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back