Teensy 3.1 Analog pin/ADC impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickexists

Does anyone know the impedance of the analog pins on the Teensy 3.1? I want to read a voltage from a voltage divider and I want to know how the current pulled in by the analog pin will affect my results.

It's not a simple resistance. There is a very small leakage current, which varies with temperature, and is not well specified. But that's not the main issue.

The input looks basically like a switch to a capacitor. When the ADC samples your signal, the switch connects, suddenly shorting the internal capacitance inside the chip to your signal. A current flows momentarily, to charge the capacitor to the same voltage (or close to the same voltage, if your signal has source impedance that causes a voltage drop between the true source and the internal ADC).

The internal capacitance is in the dozen pF range, and the switch on resistance is in the 1K range... approx.

The "Cookbook for SAR ADC Measurements" app note (AN4373) has really good information on the ADC input circuitry and how to drive it to avoid settling issues.

Thanks. My signal is probably going to be around 2 volts with an impedance of 500k ohms so it sound like i'll definitely want to use some sort of buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back