Multi-TT USB hubs - multiple Teensy units - Xplane Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenDanville

Hi everybody, if anyone can offer any insight into these issues it would be gratefully appreciated and hopefully this will come in useful for somebody else.

I am working on a flight simulator project that is currently using about 10 Teensy units (8x 2++ and 2x 3.1) and are having a few issues.
Mostly they are running buttons, switches and a handful of leds. One teensy is running a pair of 5v Relays and another is running a 16/2 LCD.

1) Connectivity
Sometimes not all the Teensy units show up when they are plugged into the usb hubs.
We are sharing them between 2x 7-port Anker hubs http://www.ianker.com/product/68ANHUB-BV7A which we picked for the good reviews on reliability and the 12v 3000ma PSU. It seems strange if it's a power issue since it seems to be popular for running USB bitcoin cards with good stability and connectivity.
Even plugging all the Teensy except for the one running the relays and the one running the the 16/2 LCD and it still seems to be an issue.
Also the USB hubs are both USB3 hubs, one connected to one of the USB3 ports on the motherboard and the other to a USB3 port on a USB3 PCI card, when they're both on USB3 ports on the motherboard the issue still occurs.

2) Communication
When all units are plugged in and sometimes all show up as connected one or two units sometimes do not talk at all to X-plane, meanwhile others demonstrate partial communications for example some leds and switches on the same teensy are unresponsive/do not communicate while others connected to the same boards do work.
Each unit I have designed has been tested on 3 different computers and all work as expected when connected individually. Up to about 7-8 they all run stable and perform as expected. I had tested these together in different combination with no issues, it was only when they were all connected that things started acting strangely.

Perhaps the way I have programmed them they are trying to communicate to the simulator software too frequently so I am trying to reduce everything down to checking/syncing switches a few times a second. Would clocking the teensy down from there default max clock rates to say half their default be worth trying to limit communication betweens Teensys and the software? Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any suggestions. I've been impressed with the generosity and expertise of the community, I hope as I learn more I'll be able to contribute more assistance to others!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back