Midi and Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody
Does anyone knows if it is possible to use a teensy LC as a midi device with a serial connexion in parallel ?
Thanks a lot !

I do not understand what you mean by "serial connection in parallel".

Teensy LC can work as a USB MIDI device, and also a regular serial MIDI (5 pin DIN connector) device. Both can work simultaneously. I don't know if that's what you were asking.... if not, please explain what you want.

You can get a much more useful answer if you explain your project and what you're really trying to accomplish. Narrow technical questions can at best get specific answers. But we are real humans, and many people here have a LOT of experience in MIDI and all sorts of related stuff.... so if you explain your goals and give some insight into what you're really trying to do, odds are good someone may know alternate ways or have much more useful insight than merely answering about one specific technical capability.

Hello paul
I would like to have a midi controller with 10 fader for example
and I will make a processing program who communicate in USB serial to change values of my midi controller (notes / CC)

Teensy-LC can do that out of the box, very easily. Up to 13 faders. It would be worth whacking a bunch of Sanwa arcade buttons on it too to use up the spare digital pins and give you the most midi bang for your buck ;)

I'm assuming by "midi controller" you mean DAW (like cubase for example)?

or are you trying to communicate with a second midi device like a keyboard?

either way it should be fine, depending on the keyboard.

Hello !
That's it !
I already have made my controller with usbMidi and 5Din midi, but I would like to configure my faders and buttons with processing for example
For that I think that I should use an option MIDI + Serial in "teensyduino" but It doesn't exists
I would have
- usbMidi connexion
- Serial connexion
in parallel
thanks

I already have made my controller with usbMidi and 5Din midi, but I would like to configure my faders and buttons with processing for example
For that I think that I should use an option MIDI + Serial in "teensyduino" but It doesn't exists
I would have
- usbMidi connexion
- Serial connexion
in parallel

Maybe you're confusing USB virtual serial with physical hardware serial?

You need hardware serial for 5-pin DIN MIDI. Virtual serial sends serial data to your PC over USB, not to a pin you can connect to a MIDI DIN connector.

Teensy-LC has 3 hardware serial ports. They are always available, regardless of what you select in Tools > USB Type.

You could select MIDI in Tools > USB Type, and send 4 simultaneous MIDI streams... one to your PC and 3 more to the 3 hardware serial ports, to 3 separate DIN connectors! The key point to remember is those hardware serial ports are called Serial1, Serial2, and Serial3. You have to use the number 1, 2 or 3 on the end.

While in USB MIDI, there is also a hidden HID-based emulation for "Serial". So you can use Serial.print() to send text to the Arduino Serial Monitor, while also using USB MIDI and while also using the 3 hardware serial ports!

Not bad for a under-$12 low cost board, is it?!

Yehaw !
So Serial and USBMidi can work together, I didn't tried it
It is perfect !

I want to use Serial, Midi(from serial1) and USBMidi in my project, but Serial is not named in teensy mode (like keyboard + mouse + serial) so I thougth that won't work
Thanks a lot Paul, I'll try that soon !

Not bad for a under-$12 low cost board, is it?!
They are just perfect Paul ! Thank you for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back